HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

real classy moves by owners/management?

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2005, 11:15 AM
reckoning

vCash: 500
real classy moves by owners/management?

I just saw the thread detailing stories about things that past or present players did that could be considered classy; all sorts of anecdotes about nice gestures towards fans from Joe Sakic, Brendan Shanahan, Jean Beliveau, Kris King etc. Then it struck me- how could this be? Everyone in the business section of this site is stating that all the members of the NHLPA are greedy and selfish and don`t care about the fans, which is confusing because Joe Sakic is a member of the NHLPA, and by all accounts a supportive one (he even mentioned on TV after one of the league`s final proposals that the four triggers Bettman attached to it were ridiculous). So how could Sakic be classy? It couldn`t be that there`s good and bad people on both sides of this issue, could it? Naaah.

So it must be that the classy moves by players would pale in comparison to the classy moves by owners and management; therefore i`d love to hear about all those classy gestures that Bill Wirtz and Jeffrey Jacobs have made over their careers. Since the owners are much more righteous than the greedy players, i`m sure this thread will be at least three times as long as the other one.

By the way, charitable contributions don`t count, because since everyone is accusing Ryan Smyth and the other players involved in charity games recently of only doing it for PR reasons, the same reasoning applies here.

Old
03-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
umm..first it's JEREMY Jacobs...

second good or bad doesn't enter the picture..It's business. Strictly money on both sides.

Lastly , Jacobs has over the years sponsored millions in charitable causes in and around Boston. Mainly through The Boston Bruins Foundation. And yeah..they do count, especially to those that are receipiants.

http://www.bostonbruins.com/foundation/

I have been told he's done the same in Buffalo but can't attest to that.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
03-29-2005, 11:45 AM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
Lastly , Jacobs has over the years sponsored millions in charitable causes in and around Boston. Mainly through The Boston Bruins Foundation. And yeah..they do count, especially to those that are receipiants.

Could you please explain that to the posters in the "Red Deer gives the players the finger" thread who think anything a player does is for P.R. purposes only.

Old
03-29-2005, 11:48 AM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
I just saw the thread detailing stories about things that past or present players did that could be considered classy; all sorts of anecdotes about nice gestures towards fans from Joe Sakic, Brendan Shanahan, Jean Beliveau, Kris King etc. Then it struck me- how could this be? Everyone in the business section of this site is stating that all the members of the NHLPA are greedy and selfish and don`t care about the fans, which is confusing because Joe Sakic is a member of the NHLPA, and by all accounts a supportive one (he even mentioned on TV after one of the league`s final proposals that the four triggers Bettman attached to it were ridiculous). So how could Sakic be classy? It couldn`t be that there`s good and bad people on both sides of this issue, could it? Naaah.

So it must be that the classy moves by players would pale in comparison to the classy moves by owners and management; therefore i`d love to hear about all those classy gestures that Bill Wirtz and Jeffrey Jacobs have made over their careers. Since the owners are much more righteous than the greedy players, i`m sure this thread will be at least three times as long as the other one.

By the way, charitable contributions don`t count, because since everyone is accusing Ryan Smyth and the other players involved in charity games recently of only doing it for PR reasons, the same reasoning applies here.
yo

Old
03-29-2005, 11:55 AM
red devil

When Koivu was battling cancer, Gillette let him use his private plane to fly to Finland for Christmas. During the time doctors weren't going to allow Koivu to fly home commercially because of his blood counts.

http://www.montrealcanadiens.ca/artm...nter_164.shtml

Old
03-29-2005, 01:24 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan
When Koivu was battling cancer, Gillette let him use his private plane to fly to Finland for Christmas. During the time doctors weren't going to allow Koivu to fly home commercially because of his blood counts.

Gillette is one of the decent ones, i`ll give credit where it`s due.

Old
03-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Big Phil

Off the top off my head I'd say a story I remember Garth Snow stating when he was with the Islanders. He got time off to go and see his dying brother and I remember him stating that he'll "never forget what the Islanders orginization did."

Old
03-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Could you please explain that to the posters in the "Red Deer gives the players the finger" thread who think anything a player does is for P.R. purposes only.
Then why don't you allow examples of donations by owners, but also allow posters to give examples that are int he spirit of the Red Deer incident - charity handled tastelessly by owners.

Old
03-29-2005, 05:00 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel
Then why don't you allow examples of donations by owners, but also allow posters to give examples that are int he spirit of the Red Deer incident - charity handled tastelessly by owners.
In the business section of this site there are constantly people with the attitude of "all the players are greedy while all the owners are kind-hearted philanthropists"; and in every argument or topic they`ll jump on every little item that supports their viewpoint while completely dismissing any thing that doesn`t (even if it contradicts their earlier statements).

Once again, my point was there are good and bad guys on both sides of the lockout.

Old
03-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
In the business section of this site there are constantly people with the attitude of "all the players are greedy while all the owners are kind-hearted philanthropists"; and in every argument or topic they`ll jump on every little item that supports their viewpoint while completely dismissing any thing that doesn`t (even if it contradicts their earlier statements).

Once again, my point was there are good and bad guys on both sides of the lockout.
I can understand that - but to dismiss charitable donations takes away a lot. I personally don't take away from the players giving charitable donations, but I still stand on my opinion that the Red Deer incident was handled with very little class. Maybe there was good intent there, but it was definitely overshadowed by the apparent intent of the event. Yeah, you're right, people have a tendency to jump on one side or the other - but that's there choice, and you're not going to open closed minds.

What I would be interested to see - charitable donations/actions by either side where it's obvious the charity wasn't intended to be public.

Old
03-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan

I did not remember that but it's pretty nice of George.

Old
03-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Hawker14

these posts can't be the best things that owners have contributed to.

however, i'm not surprised certain owners are being credited for basic human decency in some of these posts.

it's a shallow pool and hard to find good among some of them.

Old
03-30-2005, 02:18 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2503
This listing of charitable causes involving the Flyers' ownership is from the Flyers' web site:

http://www.comcast-spectacor.com/cor...foundation.asp

I remember, too, when Tim Kerr's wife died just after giving birth while still in the hospital. The Flyers were in Pittsburgh to play the Pens who, led by Craig Patrick, were very classy. Flyers' owner Ed Snider then sent a plane to pick up Kerr and had selected individuals, including his son Jay and Jay's wife, spend the next few weeks tending to Kerr.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-30-2005 at 02:41 AM.
Closed Thread