HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christensen re-signs (2yrs @ 925k per), Shelley signs with PHI (3yrs @ 1.1M per)

Old
07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I do too. I was okay with it as a flyer, especially since we quite simply didn't have anyone else to play center.

It was when we signed Prospal on top of him that I got POed.
eh, the way i look at it, unless we sign kovalchuk, we aint competing.

this gives us more assets to trade come deadline time. i dont think this team will be in it the way they were this year.

weve taken a step backwards imho. more because of how much teams ahead and behind us have improved.

i could see the lightning and/or the thrashers being better than us

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

this gives us more assets to trade come deadline time. i dont think this team will be in it the way they were this year.

weve taken a step backwards imho. more because of how much teams ahead and behind us have improved.

Frankly, if the Isles sign both Forlov and Lombardi, the only team that hasn't overtaken the Rangers, IMO, is Florida. The Rangers right now are one of the five worst teams in the league.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Couldn't have said it better. Everyone around us for the most part made moves to push their team forward while we seem to be stuck between no movement and backwards movement. I'm not a fan of signing Kovalchuk but at this point I'm hoping we will just to stay competitive with everyone else.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:55 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Frankly, if the Isles sign both Forlov and Lombardi, the only team that hasn't overtaken the Rangers, IMO, is Florida. The Rangers right now are one of the five worst teams in the league.
Sure looks that way. Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa and the Leafs will be better. Slats has to have some kind of plan. They will not be going into next season with this roster as is.

I know the Drury signing sucks, but Wade Redden has ****ed this team hard.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:58 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Sure looks that way. Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa and the Leafs will be better. Slats has to have some kind of plan. They will not be going into next season with this roster as is.

I know the Drury signing sucks, but Wade Redden has ****ed this team hard.

Carolina should be better, simply because they should have Ward all year.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Give me a break guys. This is essentially the same team as last year that was one goal away from a playoff appearance. In fact, we're going to upgrade slightly (more than likely) by just getting rid of Redden. Topple in the fact that we've signed a better backup goalie, the young guns will probably improve, and the young guys that might make the team are assuredly going to be better than Higgins, etc. were last year for a while.

This team will do the same results if not better as last year. As long as we get younger, we're improving.

Kovalchuk is a dead argument right now. Look at the cap. Look who needs to be signed.

Let it go.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:02 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
"Rangers hockey - hey, it could be worse!"
Touche, Edge. And your other point, "the more things change....:

Hey, Christensen is not completely useless, he exists. Wow. I have always known that Smith sold his soul and the next 50+ years of the Rangers existence to the Big Bad, but now this confirms it.

Seriously, that we have sunk so low that people are making defenses of a waiver pickup who has never, ever amounted to anything, being Gaborik's center is ludicrous. Christense barely produced anything when not playing with Gaborik. What if does not produce with Gaborik now? Keep in mind that by "produce" we are talking someone who could MAYBE score 45 points in a season. Now what? Another Sather mistake to Hartford? And this trash-heap pickup was given a two-year deal?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:04 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
$925k is a very reasonable contract for Erik and his personal brand of mediocrity.
Dollar debate aside, what makes this unreasonable is the extra year.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Touche, Edge. And your other point, "the more things change....:

Hey, Christensen is not completely useless, he exists. Wow. I have always known that Smith sold his soul and the next 50+ years of the Rangers existence to the Big Bad, but now this confirms it.

Seriously, that we have sunk so low that people are making defenses of a waiver pickup who has never, ever amounted to anything, being Gaborik's center is ludicrous. Christense barely produced anything when not playing with Gaborik. What if does not produce with Gaborik now? Keep in mind that by "produce" we are talking someone who could MAYBE score 45 points in a season. Now what? Another Sather mistake to Hartford? And this trash-heap pickup was given a two-year deal?
And if he can't produce with Christensen, who can he produce with?

What cracks me up is that I already know what's coming. Six months from now people are going to be calling for Torts' head because he can't get this team into the playoffs. That's the amazing thing! I know there are few people who think this team is actually a playoff team.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:32 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Folks, not to be the negative nancy around here, but we're not competing next season. Hell, I'd be shocked if we didn't finish last in the division next season.

We missed the playoffs last season, and that was with a healthy Lundqvist and a quasi-healthy Gaborik that played 70-odd games. Imagine if one of those guys went down early or mid season?

Take a look around the division; the Islanders are only going to get better, and if they sign Kovalchuk, he makes them that much better. The Devils addressed their defensive gaps by signing Volchenkov and Tallinder. The Flyers are most likely getting Turco and improved their defense by trading for Mezsaros and locking up Coburn. The Penguins now have arguably the best team in the league, signing Michalek and Martin to shore up their defense, along with their three centers of doom.

And what have we done? Re-signed the same guys that got us to a 9th place finish last season, and brought in the biggest mofo in the league that hasn't scored a goal in years. Every team in our division improved dramatically this offseason, except for us. I'm not saying that this was the wrong course of action; in fact, I agree with it for the long haul, but let's face reality here people.

It's going to be a long season

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:16 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Folks, not to be the negative nancy around here, but we're not competing next season. Hell, I'd be shocked if we didn't finish last in the division next season.

We missed the playoffs last season, and that was with a healthy Lundqvist and a quasi-healthy Gaborik that played 70-odd games. Imagine if one of those guys went down early or mid season?

Take a look around the division; the Islanders are only going to get better, and if they sign Kovalchuk, he makes them that much better. The Devils addressed their defensive gaps by signing Volchenkov and Tallinder. The Flyers are most likely getting Turco and improved their defense by trading for Mezsaros and locking up Coburn. The Penguins now have arguably the best team in the league, signing Michalek and Martin to shore up their defense, along with their three centers of doom.

And what have we done? Re-signed the same guys that got us to a 9th place finish last season, and brought in the biggest mofo in the league that hasn't scored a goal in years. Every team in our division improved dramatically this offseason, except for us. I'm not saying that this was the wrong course of action; in fact, I agree with it for the long haul, but let's face reality here people.

Exactly how I feel. We will be contending for the 1st overall pick next season, while struggling to score, pretty badly. Prospal is due for his down year, and Erik Christensen, a waiver wire pickup, is our first line center. We are going to suck, and I have prepared myself for it.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:12 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post

I said it elsewhere, but, the Rangers are likely to fight with Florida for the worst record in the Eastern Conference. Only Buffalo and NJ may have declined. But, everyone else has improved. The Rangers didn't make the playoffs with a fairly healthy Gaborik and Henke last year. Just by standing still, they've gone backwards. The teams they barely finished ahead of last year - Atlanta, Toronto, TB and the Isles have or will improve. Even improvements from Dubinsky and Anisimov are likely to be a wash with the decline of Drury.

Old
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
scanzzilla

Oh comon guys! Did anyone watch that last month of the season and see what we did? We were a complete different team with all of those additions and we have most of the same guys coming back. You guys are honestly trying to tell me toronto, florida, islanders, and the rest of them are better than us all of the sudden? I don' think so. We'll be right there like we always are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborikEqualsGod1995* View Post
Prospal is due for his down year, and Erik Christensen, a waiver wire pickup, is our first line center.
People have to get off this. It dosent matter that he is a waiver pickup!!!! Heres a thought.. we got LUCKY to pluck him off waivers. Big things from EC this year, he's going to make a lot of you sound dumb.

Last edited by scanzzilla: 07-07-2010 at 12:09 AM.
scanzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:08 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
The flyers claimed Michael Leighton off waivers. Coyotes got Bryzgalov.

Hurricanes got Sergei Samsonov.

Canucks got Kyle Wellwood.

Thrashers Rich Peverly.

Just cause a guy goes through waivers doesn't make him forever completely useless.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
pwoz

Didn't we also originally get Orr from waivers?

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote