HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds sign Matthew Lombardi - 3 years, $3.5 mil per

Old
07-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Good player, but I would have preferred that money to be spent on more of a pure goal scorer, but beggars cannot be choosers at this point.
OK, I can understand that, but considering our RFA's to be signed and the "needs" for a veteran defenseman and backup goalie...who would you have rather signed or acquired?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:13 PM
oreilly22

Wow are we ever going to be a speedy team now! Maybe the direction Poile wants to take is focusing on speed. We lose Arnott and trade for Kostitsyn and sign Lombardi. We just got a couple players with some major wheels.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
OK, I can understand that, but considering our RFA's to be signed and the "needs" for a veteran defenseman and backup goalie...who would you have rather signed or acquired?
It is hard to say, I'm not a GM , as I don't know who is available on the block or what FAs are wanting in terms of length. Obviously if we went that route, we'd have to move some salary, as we are stretched alot at this time. Unfortunately Legwand, Erat, Sullivan, and Dumont's contracts and NMCs make it difficult.

I still think we're going to have to move some salary.

What is the mid-point this year?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Great move Poile. I didnt think we had a shot at this guy and he pulled it off!

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Waldo

Great great great signing. I'm really dissappointed that My Yotes didn't get a deal done. You are a much much much better team now. The Coyotes are now less of a team.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I have always been a fan of this guy. I really like what he brings to a franchise.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:29 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Sullivan - Wilson - Hornqvist
Erat - Legwand - Kostitsyn
Ward - Lombardi - Dumont
Andersson - Goc - Smithson
O'Reilly/Tootoo/Belak

Milwaukee
Spaling
Santorelli

Somebody's gotta go. . .
I agree. [edit*]

Last edited by braindead: 07-02-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: *moved to 2010-11 thread
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Erat and Legwand can be linemates ... with the right 3rd member of that line. Am I the only one old enough to remember 06-07?

We now have a load of expendables, especially if SK becomes a serviceable citizen and is on the roster.

Our top 9 becomes
Erat, Legwand, Hornqvist, Sullivan, Lombardi, Dumont, Wilson, Andersson, Kostityn.

That leaves Ward, Smithson, Goc, Tootoo, Belak, O'Reilly for the bottom three .... all on one-way deals. We have to move a couple of these guys.

Now for a huge chemistry experiment this fall.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:55 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Erat and Legwand can be linemates ... with the right 3rd member of that line. Am I the only one old enough to remember 06-07?

We now have a load of expendables, especially if SK becomes a serviceable citizen and is on the roster.

Our top 9 becomes
Erat, Legwand, Hornqvist, Sullivan, Lombardi, Dumont, Wilson, Andersson, Kostityn.

That leaves Ward, Smithson, Goc, Tootoo, Belak, O'Reilly for the bottom three .... all on one-way deals. We have to move a couple of these guys.

Now for a huge chemistry experiment this fall.
Not sure I put Andersson in the top 9 just yet. I'd put Goc there before him and move one of the other three top centers to wing. I also think Andersson would have to supplant Ward before anointing him top 9. Other than that I think you're spot on.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:59 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Not sure I put Andersson in the top 9 just yet. I'd put Goc there before him and move one of the other three top centers to wing. I also think Andersson would have to supplant Ward before anointing him top 9. Other than that I think you're spot on.
Haven't you learned not to contradict those of us with heavy artillery?

Old
07-02-2010, 10:26 PM
kakemono

Quote:
You mean the line with Kariya? Legwand and Erat won't get to stroll around while everyone is watching for Kariya like 06-07

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

We signed Legwand's long lost brother. Fast, good defensively, sporadic offense. We also paid him $1M less than Legwand.

This is a risky signing. If he can put up 50 points in all three seasons, then he could prove to be a key player for us and a savvy signing by Poile. If he can't, then we have a major redundancy up the middle and our hands are tied when trying to sign new free agents.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
We signed Legwand's long lost brother. Fast, good defensively, sporadic offense. We also paid him $1M less than Legwand.

This is a risky signing. If he can put up 50 points in all three seasons, then he could prove to be a key player for us and a savvy signing by Poile. If he can't, then we have a major redundancy up the middle and our hands are tied when trying to sign new free agents.
I think if anything, it will free up Legwand to focus a bit more on offense. With Lombardi in, Arnott out, we have another defensive option at center in the top three lines that can also contribute offensively...ie...not Smithson. I think you'll see 1 pure offensive line, and two "two way" lines, this season...lines that will vary in focus from situation to situation. With some of the defensive load off Legwand, he should be able to put more energy into scoring, which he showed he could do in the playoffs. Lombardi will have a similar half\half role...with the added bonus of being a better faceoff guy than anyone outside of Goc...another instant improvement over Arnott.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think if anything, it will free up Legwand to focus a bit more on offense. With Lombardi in, Arnott out, we have another defensive option at center in the top three lines that can also contribute offensively...ie...not Smithson. I think you'll see 1 pure offensive line, and two "two way" lines, this season...lines that will vary in focus from situation to situation. With some of the defensive load off Legwand, he should be able to put more energy into scoring, which he showed he could do in the playoffs. Lombardi will have a similar half\half role...with the added bonus of being a better faceoff guy than anyone outside of Goc...another instant improvement over Arnott.
Agreed. I think Smithson is on the hot seat right now and might be the odd man out getting traded (O'Reilly is already definitely on the trade block). If you read Poile's comments regarding Andersson, he takes Smithson's role on the wing and Goc replaces his role as center. Goc also has the ability to move up the lineup and play effectively in a two-way role on a higher line and Spaling can fill in from Milwaukee if needed to provide the lost center depth overall.

This was Jerred Smithson's last season as a Nashville Predator. He is a UFA at the end of the year and would have been passed by youth by season's end. I think today's signing only hastens his departure and makes him the odd man out when all is said and done. A great role player on the ice and a fantastic citizen away from the rink. Smithson would be missed, but ultimately can be replaced...

Old
07-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Good wheels, good skills, good vision, good faceoff %. Fair contract. This is perfect. Very surprised we got him, but this is the type of move I have been preaching for the past few days. Perfect.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Good wheels, good skills, good vision, good faceoff %. Fair contract. This is perfect. Very surprised we got him, but this is the type of move I have been preaching for the past few days. Perfect.
This is the type of move that wasn't available yesterday. Yesterday, Lombardi was asking for $4 million and the Coyotes were balking along with everyone else. Phoenix signs Ray Whitney and moves Wolski to center and that door is closed and the Predators are the best remaining slot for him to be put in a position to capitalize on his career year offensively from last season...

Poile waited and got his man due to patience...it doesn't always work, but it did today!

Old
07-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
This is the type of move that wasn't available yesterday. Yesterday, Lombardi was asking for $4 million and the Coyotes were balking along with everyone else. Phoenix signs Ray Whitney and moves Wolski to center and that door is closed and the Predators are the best remaining slot for him to be put in a position to capitalize on his career year offensively from last season...

Poile waited and got his man due to patience...it doesn't always work, but it did today!
I didn't say I wanted this move done yesterday... I am saying I just wanted SOMETHING like this to happen. Perfect signing. This is NOT overpayment.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:43 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Agreed. I think Smithson is on the hot seat right now and might be the odd man out getting traded (O'Reilly is already definitely on the trade block). If you read Poile's comments regarding Andersson, he takes Smithson's role on the wing and Goc replaces his role as center. Goc also has the ability to move up the lineup and play effectively in a two-way role on a higher line and Spaling can fill in from Milwaukee if needed to provide the lost center depth overall.

This was Jerred Smithson's last season as a Nashville Predator. He is a UFA at the end of the year and would have been passed by youth by season's end. I think today's signing only hastens his departure and makes him the odd man out when all is said and done. A great role player on the ice and a fantastic citizen away from the rink. Smithson would be missed, but ultimately can be replaced...
Amen

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Split98

You guys will definitely enjoy him. Definitely one of my favourite players in the league.

This kid has wheels that are absolutely stunning. Night in, night out, this guy is flying.

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:15 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

I love this!

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:18 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Haven't you learned not to contradict those of us with heavy artillery?
I'll take my chances, heavy artillery can't reach me 1000 miles away.

Old
07-03-2010, 08:24 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Here's the issue with rushing Smithson out the door. Andersson is a gamble period at the NHL level. Goc was just under 50% at the dot shorthanded. Smithson is one of the only defensive minded guy we've got who consistently wins shorthanded faceoffs and was the only one above 50% with more than ten draws.

One huge change between 08-09 and 09-10 on the PK was our ability to win faceoffs. We went from four guys with 75 or more PK draws with 48% or better success down to just two. Think how often we got smoked in the first few seconds of a PK this last season.

If Smitty goes now .... it's Goc and who for PK draws? Lombardi was a near 50% guy in Phx with limited draws and was hit or miss his last two seasons in Cgy at the dot shorthanded. Legwand has been decent one of the past three seasons, sucked the other two. Andersson is an unknown. Spaling went 0 for the season.

Before moving Smithson, the right skillset guy for the PK needs to be identified as his replacement. We didn't do it after 08-09 when Fiddler and Nichol left and look at the result.

Old
07-03-2010, 08:25 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'll take my chances, heavy artillery can't reach me 1000 miles away.
Want to bet?

Old
07-03-2010, 08:32 AM
RollingPredFan

I feel much better now. I know we all want a Kovalchuk, but this is unrealistic. This guy would have led us in points last year, on a similar style team.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:41 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Here's the issue with rushing Smithson out the door. Andersson is a gamble period at the NHL level. Goc was just under 50% at the dot shorthanded. Smithson is one of the only defensive minded guy we've got who consistently wins shorthanded faceoffs and was the only one above 50% with more than ten draws.

One huge change between 08-09 and 09-10 on the PK was our ability to win faceoffs. We went from four guys with 75 or more PK draws with 48% or better success down to just two. Think how often we got smoked in the first few seconds of a PK this last season.

If Smitty goes now .... it's Goc and who for PK draws? Lombardi was a near 50% guy in Phx with limited draws and was hit or miss his last two seasons in Cgy at the dot shorthanded. Legwand has been decent one of the past three seasons, sucked the other two. Andersson is an unknown. Spaling went 0 for the season.

Before moving Smithson, the right skillset guy for the PK needs to be identified as his replacement. We didn't do it after 08-09 when Fiddler and Nichol left and look at the result.
Even if we keep him, is it going to dramatically improve our PK since he can win a faceoff? If we let him go and lose more faceoffs, it's not like we can drop much further with our PK. I think you put Lombardi out there on the PK. I think Spaling is a smart kid who will adapt and be good in the faceoff dot. I think Legwand has improved every year in the dot. Remember him years ago, he was atrocious and see how far he's come? If Smithson's only value to us is as a faceoff guy on the PK, that is too much of a one trick pony for me. I'd rather have talent on the ice for after the faceoff than no talent on the faceoff to be stuck with stone hands.

As far as the artillery comment goes, bring it, I'm on the move today so I'll be a moving target.