HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gagne has played his last game as a Flyer

Old
07-02-2010, 07:00 PM
m00ks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I never said they were in the driver's seat. They are desperate to shed salary. But what is Montreal going to offer? They can't take on Gagne's $5 mil without sending something back. They have nothing of value to send back. Kostitsyn doesn't get any real cap space for the Flyers. That makes what $1.75 or so in space? That doesn't really help the Flyers out. If it was for some picks or something, ok. But the Habs just don't have the cap space to do that. Hence, he is not going to Montreal. LA has tons of cap space. Boston could send Thomas for Gagne and then the Flyers would get a goalie and create at least a little more cap room by waiving Boucher. Gotta wait and see though. It's really up to Gagne at this point because as far as I know he hasn't waived the NTC.
I reckon it won't be that hard moving Andrei to make space. He can easily be dealt to another team and send prospects and picks back to Philly. Point is, Gagne to Montreal is far from laughable as we have prospects and picks to give and the space to accommodate the cap hit if need be. Gagne being a local boy, Gauthier may even put together a strong package that would beat out any other offers.

That said, I still wouldn't do it. If I'm gonna unload picks and prospects and considering the lack of offensive depth we have, I'd go after someone more durable and whose signed for longer.

m00ks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:09 PM
habspinner

tpanotch

Another 4th july shot to hell. Gagne agrees to waive NTC. Kings r target.
3 minutes ago via web

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:12 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
tpanotch

3 minutes ago via web
Kings must be so ****ing tired of negotiating with Kovalchuk. I was just thinking about how frustrating it may be not to have him inked by now. I wonder if Kovy camp have made any concessions at all with regards to his demands.

m00ks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
tpanotch

3 minutes ago via web
So Kovalchuk is not going to the Kings? I'm surprised.

Really wonder why the Kings wouldn't pony up but are willing to take Gagné for a year. I hope Bernier stays with the Kings. I would be disappointed to see the Flyers with a decent goalie prospect.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:27 PM
yianik

No thanks. Should have drafted him instead of Chouinard, but its too late to want him now.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Two-way forward who's a sniper ? Nah, don't need.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:34 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
So Kovalchuk is not going to the Kings? I'm surprised.

Really wonder why the Kings wouldn't pony up but are willing to take Gagné for a year. I hope Bernier stays with the Kings. I would be disappointed to see the Flyers with a decent goalie prospect.
Given the Flyers cap situation, it has to be Bernier heading back. They can't take any salary heading back.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:48 PM
HomaridII

BTW

For anyone eagerly awaiting news on this ..

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/02/10/So...225&feedID=704

Gagne and the Flyers will only answer next week.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:58 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Two-way forward who's a sniper ? Nah, don't need.
Who has missed big chunks of 2 of the last 3 seasons due to injury. Was good in the playoffs but had only 17 goals in 58 games last season. Cost is $5.25M and whatever it costs to get him. Nah, don't need.

Old
07-02-2010, 09:02 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Eric Engles: Mtl not looking at Gagne, I'm told.

TheFourthPeriod: Sorry Habs fans, unless it's a 3way deal (even thats a stretch), I don't see Gagne going to MTL.

There goes that ship.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:07 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post

TheFourthPeriod: Sorry Habs fans, unless it's a 3way deal (even thats a stretch), I don't see Gagne going to MTL.

There goes that ship.
And I say good!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Who has missed big chunks of 2 of the last 3 seasons due to injury. Was good in the playoffs but had only 17 goals in 58 games last season. Cost is $5.25M and whatever it costs to get him. Nah, don't need.
Upgrades are good. Would I want Gagne ? No, but he's not garbage like a lot of people are saying.

Markov has missed time over these past two years, I guess he's crap too. Forsberg missed time, teams still took chances on him.

Old
07-02-2010, 09:42 PM
yianik

Quote:
Upgrades are good. Would I want Gagne ? No, but he's not garbage like a lot of people are saying.

Markov has missed time over these past two years, I guess he's crap too. Forsberg missed time, teams still took chances on him.
No way is Gagne garbage, I'm just saying I would not want him now because of his injury problems, he's a UFA at years end and the cost to get him and pay him. For a team in position to maybe run at the Cup, he may be the missing piece and worth the risk, because he is what you say and he's tough as well, a real competitor. Despite this past seasons great run, I don't see us as Cup contenders this year.

Old
07-02-2010, 09:43 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
And I say good!
Let's see? 46 on our top 2 lines or Gagne?

We don't need him? Really?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:16 PM
RNiner

Now this would make alot more sense then Frolov. Seems LA thinks that way too. Doesn't seem like any chance that it could happen, but us moving AK46 for a pick (3rd?) to another team and moving a couple of prospects to Phi for Gagne would be solid. Him being a UFA after 1 year is a plus imo. Reduces the risk considerably.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:20 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
Now this would make alot more sense then Frolov. Seems LA thinks that way too. Doesn't seem like any chance that it could happen, but us moving AK46 for a pick (3rd?) to another team and moving a couple of prospects to Phi for Gagne would be solid. Him being a UFA after 1 year is a plus imo. Reduces the risk considerably.
This makes no sense. I wish I could put it as my sig

CrazyShea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:21 PM
RNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
This makes no sense. I wish I could put it as my sig
Explain.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Cupmonger

I'd go for Gagne. He's been heavily injured only 3 times in all of his career.
GP 46(2002-03) 25(2007-08) 59 (2009-10)
And even those season's he's contributed when playing. I would give AK46 another chance now that his brother's gone. But passing on Gagne because he's "injury prone" is barely an excuse in his case, seeing how he played well during playoffs.
Main problem would be shedding salary.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Why am I not surprised.

We always start the season as underdogs, never as conquerors.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Why am I not surprised.

Who cares how we start the season? we started 07-08 as underdogs and kicked everybody's butt.

Trading prospects for Gagne is right up there with the ill fated Tanguay deal of 2 years ago.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Komarov47

Even if Gagne is weak and fragile, i would take him in a heart beat, seeing how he played against us or in final, but it would depends the package to deal for.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Even if Gagne is weak and fragile, i would take him in a heart beat, seeing how he played against us or in final, but it would depends the package to deal for.
given that Gagne only has one year left on his deal, and the cap hit is over 5 mil, and Gagne's chronic concussion/groin issues, there's some high stakes involved here.

I assume that the biggest reason the flyers are looking to move him is to create some cap room. If you are moving Gagne, you are looking for a cheap top 6 guy, a high draft pick, or a good prospect.

Lets look at the top 6 first. If you look at the way philly builds their team, I highly doubt that they will be interested in akost. The other proven top 6 guys on the habs all make at least 5 million, so philly cant be interested in them.

Regarding the high pick, there's no way I trade that pick for a guy who only has 1 yr left on his deal. A first round pick is like gold in the cap era.

As for good prospects we can deal, again, you have to look at the fact that gagne only has 1 yr left, so is it worth giving up a good prospect? If there is one prospect that may tickle the flyers fancy, it might be pacioretty because he seems to possess the qualities that the flyers look for, but his stock has declined in the past season so I doubt that would be enough to grab Simon. There's no way you trade an eller, pk, tinordi or anything like that.

Having said all that, I don't see how the flyers and habs make good trading partners.

Last edited by Hackett: 07-03-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Why am I not surprised.

Not really cup contenders and Gagné doesn't help turn us into one. Trading assets for him is just a bad move.

Old
07-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I doubt Philly would even consider AK even as a throw in, and they won't go for Hamrlik's salary, I don't see how a realistic deal can get done.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Not really cup contenders and Gagné doesn't help turn us into one. Trading assets for him is just a bad move.
It makes us a lot better in my opinion. Healthy, he's better than anything we have upfront. And it energizes the fanbase and the Habs' players seeing Gagne coming in to help them. The GM gave them zero help thus far to start the season and it will puts even more pressure on these players, especially those playing on the first two lines. Habs are starting the season with slingshots. Again.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote