HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Real classy moves in the past from players?

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2005, 09:32 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
I thought that was silly looking.

Bowman is a nominee for classless acts: yelling at Claude Lemieux in front of his family in a parking lot, scaring the hell out of the family, in a tirade he later at least apologized for.
Bowman putting on the skates and doing laps wasn't class it was stealing the spotlight. Bowman was very unpopular with his players, at least in the earlier part of his career. When the Devils swept the Red Wings in 1995, Lemaire and Bowman met to shake hands and Lemaire hardly even looked at him. They shook hadns and walked away within about 3 seconds. Also, someone posted a comment here that Steve Shutt says he hates Scotty Bowman six days a week, and on the seventh he polishes his Stanley cup rings. Kind of sums it up nicely.

Old
03-29-2005, 09:35 AM
mcphee

How about Jean Beliveau declining the governor generalship because he was needed at home. How about Jean Beliveau, when the CH honored him with Jean Beliveau night after his 500th goal, asking them to refrain from personal gifts and setting up the Jean Beliveau foundation ?

Old
03-29-2005, 09:36 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Jean Beliveau and his wife also have helped their daughter raise her children after his son in law died. If you were to pick a player to role model, the choice would be very easy. Montreal's #4 is in a league of his own.

Old
03-29-2005, 09:39 AM
(lone)Yashinfan#79

[this is a bit OT]
in Seinfeld-ian fashion, my parents have a townhouse in south Florida... about 10-12 years ago, i moved there for a little while and worked near the pier in Deerfield Beach at a snack bar section of a restaurant that used to be situated right on the beach (has since been torn down, entire area is being re-zoned, etc.).

this was around the time Roger Neilson coached the Panthers (not sure about now, but the team used to practice in nearby Lighthouse Point).
Coach Nielson used to come in for a grilled cheese sandwich just about every day during pre-season.
he was pretty anonymous, no one really knew who he was, i did, but never really bent his ear about hockey, i figured he's at the beach trying to have a grilled cheese and some solitude.
extremely nice guy, a very gentle soul.

Old
03-29-2005, 09:43 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
Jean Beliveau and his wife also have helped their daughter raise her children after his son in law died. If you were to pick a player to role model, the choice would be very easy. Montreal's #4 is in a league of his own.
IN the 50's when train travel was the norm, many of the Montreal players would get off a stop or two before Central Station and make their way home from there. This could have been to avoid fans, or get picked up before downtown,who knows. Beliveau never did. He would get off at Central Station,chat with every fan,thank the porters, greet whoever crossed his path. My Dad told me that anyone who said hello would get a moment's attention.

Old
03-29-2005, 09:44 AM
(lone)Yashinfan#79

stealing the spotlight?
the guy is already blinded by all his rings at this point, you honestly think he was grandstanding?
and it was well-documented that his players despised him, you're not breaking any news here, diamond joe quimby.
my original point is that i thought it was classy that the team honoured the guy with this gesture...and if he was so notoriously hated by his players then it says all the more for the gesture in my estimation.
either you're a leafs fan with a long and well-founded distaste for anything related to the Habs, or Bowman ran over one of your childhood pets.
[sorry, i don't use the goofball smiley things... just want to denote lighthearted sarcasm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
Bowman putting on the skates and doing laps wasn't class it was stealing the spotlight. Bowman was very unpopular with his players, at least in the earlier part of his career. When the Devils swept the Red Wings in 1995, Lemaire and Bowman met to shake hands and Lemaire hardly even looked at him. They shook hadns and walked away within about 3 seconds. Also, someone posted a comment here that Steve Shutt says he hates Scotty Bowman six days a week, and on the seventh he polishes his Stanley cup rings. Kind of sums it up nicely.

Old
03-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Wow there's alot of stories about Jean Beliveau. My grand pa is right when he says that Beliveau is the classiest athlete ever.

Old
03-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
the classiest thing I ever saw was Ray Bourque literally taking the shirt off his back to retire # 7 for Phil Esposito.

BOSTON STRONG !!!

Last edited by Gee Wally: 08-09-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old
03-29-2005, 10:52 AM
JCD

Chris Chelios apologizing for his teammates Nagano antics, then paying for all the Olympic damages and leaving it up to the guilty parties if they wanted to fess up for their actions or not. As far as I know, nobody ever admitted they were involved.

Old
03-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Big Phil

To me another classy move was Gretzky passing the Cup to Steve Smith in '87 the year after Smith put the puck in the net in '86. Also Guy Charboneau giving Denis Savard the CUp in '93 after the Habs won. I guess he thought based on Savards great career he deserved a Cup.

Old
03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
acr*

Anything Cam Neely did off the ice, especially his cancer foundation

Old
03-30-2005, 01:00 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2501
This may not quite fit the topic but who is to argue? The whole Normand Leveille situation with Boston. I remember when he appeared on the ice of Boston Garden (I think for the closing ceremonies of the building). Fans, players, management -- everyone deserves credit for that. For those who don't know:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=13384

Old
03-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
Wow there's alot of stories about Jean Beliveau. My grand pa is right when he says that Beliveau is the classiest athlete ever.
There's a story in Lions in Winter where the writer and Jean are walking down a street in Montreal headed to a bookstore (Beliveau is a voracious reader) when a wino kind of stumbles up and recognizes Jean. Beliveau spends the next ten minutes reliving a playoff series against the Bruins with a street person while the writer waits off to the side.

Not a charity event or anything, no attempt to make sure everyone knew what he was doing, just making time for everyone including even the lowest or forgotten members of society. The man is just the living embodiment of class.

Closed Thread