HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds select AUSTIN WATSON - 1st round - 18th overall

Old
06-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
It actually has nothing to do with the NHL; the eligibility rules are an agreement between the CHL and the AHL to prevent NHL teams from immediately signing draft picks and putting them in the AHL after drafting them.
http://prospectsannex.blogspot.com/2...ave-to-be.html

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:07 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Interesting... I explicitly remember reading that it was a private agreement between with the AHL, not the CHL, that kept Thomas Hickey from turning pro.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:37 AM
WartracePred

Thanks for the link. Is Radulov one of the few we've drafted that went through the CHL and made the transition to Nashville quicker than most. After a scorching final season with his QMJHL team, he didn't spend much time in Milwaukee as I remember.

I know it's wishful thinking, but will Watson have a head start on the others who start in Milwaukee? Should we expect him to earn a spot in Nashville, a la Wilson, because of his age and physical maturity at the end of his time in the CHL? And yes I know Wilson played college hockey. But at 20 or 21, will Watson have filled out his frame and be physically ready for a grown man's game.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
Thanks for the link. Is Radulov one of the few we've drafted that went through the CHL and made the transition to Nashville quicker than most. After a scorching final season with his QMJHL team, he didn't spend much time in Milwaukee as I remember.

I know it's wishful thinking, but will Watson have a head start on the others who start in Milwaukee? Should we expect him to earn a spot in Nashville, a la Wilson, because of his age and physical maturity at the end of his time in the CHL? And yes I know Wilson played college hockey. But at 20 or 21, will Watson have filled out his frame and be physically ready for a grown man's game.
I don't think we can predict that now. Wilson was more physically advanced than Watson at this point, but Watson will receive training and a plan on how to bulk up from Coach Good next week and will have two years to fill out his frame. I think he's highly motivated to do so, but only time will tell what happens...

If Watson fills out his frame to 205-210 lbs (a 20-25 lbs addition) and develops his offensive game over the next two seasons I do believe he would have a shorter transition to the pro game, but again...only time will tell...

Old
07-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
The more I read on this kid the more I can't wait to see him in Nashville. What do you think they will do for his development? Do you think he could start the season in the NHL on a tryout or at least play a full year in the AHL?

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
The more I read on this kid the more I can't wait to see him in Nashville. What do you think they will do for his development? Do you think he could start the season in the NHL on a tryout or at least play a full year in the AHL?
He has two years of juniors left before he is eligible for the AHL full-time. He'll play those two seasons in the OHL and then likely have a short stint in the AHL before cracking the Nashville lineup.

Old
07-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you think he will have a 10 game tryout.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you think he will have a 10 game tryout.
Not this year. We are INSANELY deep at forward right now and HAVE TO trade away at least 1 or 2 guys and it has NOTHING to do with finances.

I expect at least one or two forwards to be packaged in a trade for a veteran defenseman to bolster our D corps. We lack high end talent, but legitimately can ice three 2nd lines, an excellent 3rd line as our 4th, and a heck of an energy/shutdown 4th line with all the forwards left over.

Right now we have 16 forwards under contract that played a minimum of 20 NHL games last season, not including Hornqvist, Kostitsyn, or Mike Santorelli. People always think we have a glut of defensemen to trade from...it's changed...we need a veteran defenseman and have a glut of quality forwards to trade from right now.

Our prospects will be given ample time to mature without the unnecessary pressure of being rushed into the NHL.