HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Revisiting the Arnott trade - Did Poile improve the team?

View Poll Results: Did Poile improve the Predators through the Arnott trade and the Lombardi signing?
Yes, Poile has improved the team 37 80.43%
No, Poile did not improve the team 1 2.17%
Maybe, I'm not sure we're any better, but we are even with where we were 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Revisiting the Arnott trade - Did Poile improve the team?

Kevin Allen from USA Today tweeted the following this afternoon...

Quote:
Combine two Poile moves: he traded Jason Arnott for a prospect [Matt Halischuk], 2nd rounder and Matthew Lombardi. Plus, he saved $1 million off his budget
http://twitter.com/kausatoday/status/17602988003

When I saw this my instant reaction was Poile did great and not only got good value on the trade, but also rebuilt the on-ice product with a few smaller moves and the Lombardi signing.

Do you agree or disagree?

Did Poile improve the team with these two transactions?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:48 PM
oreilly22

I voted yes because Lombardi has similar offensive numbers to Arnott without being slow and lazy.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Lombardi is 7 years younger, has more in the tank, and I know he has the the offensive talent to put up 60 + points. Plus if we get Kostitsyn signed I think were going to be a scary team with a a pretty good offense.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:56 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
Lombardi is 7 years younger, has more in the tank, and I know he has the the offensive talent to put up 60 + points. Plus if we get Kostitsyn signed I think were going to be a scary team with a a pretty good offense.
I'm expecting more along the lines of fifty points than sixty, but what I'm really hoping is that Lombardi has a good enough two-way game to take some of the defensive pressure off Legwand. If these moves put Legwand in a position where he can play with some skilled wingers and not always be out against the other team's top line and thinking defense first, I think his points will increase compared to last year and overall the team will be better with more scoring depth.

MrJoshua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I think that he has improved the team. Lombardi is a perfect fit for the Predators moving forward. I am just becoming familiar with the organization but I imagine that Wilson will soon replace what Arnott brought if not pass that. Bringing in Lombardi and saving a million makes more than enough sense to me. Only time will tell if the prospect and pick will come into good service.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
I'm not sure how you can when he has never done it before...

The jury is still out on whether the team is actually better after all these moves. We won't really find out until about mid-November.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Fan of The Game

I don't know if he can put up 60, but I think that Lombardi has the best supporting cast he has had in his career minus Iginla but the Flames have seemingly always lacked offensive potency outside of him. I think he has a good chance of putting up those kind of numbers but if he stayed in the 50 range it wouldn't surprise me.

Old
07-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Paincakes

I voted maybe. Obviously there are lots of unknowns with any player in any season, and I think we will just have to withold judgement until after the season starts to truly gauge whether Poile has done good or not. Regardless, I like his activity this offseason and it is definitely getting me more and more excited about this coming season with all the new variables like a new captain, hornqvist, willy, SK, and now this.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:17 PM
markie8002000

This offseason I'm more excited about the Preds in a while since couple years ago or so....

markie8002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
markie8002000

Heres an article I found and it could be interesting read... http://fanhuddle.com/nashvillepredat...-more-to-come/

Last edited by Seth Lake: 07-02-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Please do NOT use Twitter site re-direct links
markie8002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Fan of The Game

I like the sound of that.

Old
07-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Paincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
I like the sound of that.
Yeah really. Still, one of the first things a Preds fan learns is to be extremely cautious when getting your hopes up.

Btw, loving that avatar. The Leafs need to be good again.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
Heres an article I found and it could be interesting read... http://fanhuddle.com/nashvillepredat...-more-to-come/
Don't get your hopes up. That's pure speculation.

If we're in the ballpark of the lower limit, with the Hornqvist and Franson signings still pending, we're probably done. Maybe a couple of minor moves, possibly a trade or two, but a $3M+ free agent probably won't happen.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Bad Karma

Way to early to tell, if Arnott does his usual like he normally does in a contract year, he should be pretty effective, that's what I'm waiting to see concussion aside. If not we probably end up pretty even.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:31 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
to early to tell.

Im just a tad worried because I remember all too well the years before we had a true big #1 center. I dont want to go back there.

If Lombardi works out and we dont have to stick Leggy up there, or if Wilson develops well, we will be fine. But that is alot of ifs.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Fan of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Yeah really. Still, one of the first things a Preds fan learns is to be extremely cautious when getting your hopes up.

Btw, loving that avatar. The Leafs need to be good again.
Thanks lad, always been a fan of Gilmour and Clark. To be honest I am a converted Preds fan. I still have a soft spot for Carolina but I don't like where that franchise is leading.

I have always like how the franchise works in Nashville plus they are the closest team to me. I go to school at North Alabama so Nashville ain't to far from me. I am hoping to get to a couple games in the fall. As a Canadian though the Leafs will always have a place.

Back on subject though, I know the fears of not having a number one, just ask anyone who likes Toronto. However, I think Wilson could have a breakout year this year from everything I have read about him. Lombardi will provide good backup along with Legwand but give Wilson a couple of seasons and I think Nashville will have their top center. I am have always really liked Wilson so perhaps I am overrating him?

Old
07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
AL-Canadian

I checked MAYBE but it mostly has to do with Sergei K's play this season. If he plays anything close to like what he is capable of (see his junior days with the London Knights and limited time with scoring forwards with Les Habitant), Predator fans with be in for a major surprise. He has sick hockey skills and if the Preds can find a true 'finisher' for his passes - everyone on his line "could" be seeing 50-70pts. SK, if given the opportunity (and with his head back together like he was in Juniors), can be a poor man's Hemsky.

AL-Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote