HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds sign F Jonas Andersson - 1 year, $675k (one-way deal)

Old
07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapp View Post
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle7401235.ab

According to this article - Andersson's deal is one year, one way, $700,000.

He says the Preds had contacted him prior to his 6 goal performance in the World Championships.
Wow, Poile must have faith in Andersson contributing at the pro level for the 1way deal. Im interested to see how he performs in camp.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Its odd that Poile hasn't announced this yet. Technically, he didn't even have to wait until noon ET to say something, and if hes already signed Anderson, why not just let everyone know?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Tapp

Yeah, I'm sure it had to be a big motivation for him - knowing the Preds were looking at him again even before the WCs.

Paraphrasing from the article - he says he is a different player now than he was on his first trip over. His play at the WC, where he lead Sweden in goal scoring, helped him get the one way deal. He's aware they don't like to give one way deals - and it means he has to perform. He also notes that a lot of the management and coach are the same now as when he was here before. Obviously, he is happy with the chance to play in the NHL again.

Tapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Tapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Its odd that Poile hasn't announced this yet. Technically, he didn't even have to wait until noon ET to say something, and if hes already signed Anderson, why not just let everyone know?

The article says the long negotiation will be complete on July 1 - which goes with Poile said. So, maybe it hasn't been announced because they haven't actually finalized the paperwork?

Old
07-01-2010, 12:36 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapp View Post
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle7401235.ab

According to this article - Andersson's deal is one year, one way, $700,000.

He says the Preds had contacted him prior to his 6 goal performance in the World Championships.

I guess there is some serious upside to this deal or he could just fall flat on his face.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I still don't understand why Poile would hype this signing on the radio. Only the most die-hard of Predators fans even know who Andersson is.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
And we get the release from the Preds, Jonas Andersson signed to a one yr contract worth $675k
http://twitter.com/cellblock303/status/17512271011

Guess they got an extra $25k discount for the one-way contract before it was signed today...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Tapp

Or bad translating on my part. The article naturally emphasized the terms of the contract in Swedish kronors and noted it was about $700,000. My fault. Sorry about that.

And if this message appears twice, sorry about that, too. I got an error message the first time I tried to respond.

Old
07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Petey21

Before the World Championships hardly even any Swedes, myself included, had heard about the guy. Probably because he left the country already as a junior and has only played one season at the senior level in Sweden (the lockout season). But he surprised most everyone by his play in that tournament, showing both grit and skill.

Here's his stats btw. He did play a handful games for the Predators back in 2001-02.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...er=704&lang=en

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:21 PM
sighthndlady

$675k sounded a little on the low side to me, so I'm happy to have him.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
$675k sounded a little on the low side to me, so I'm happy to have him.
Its not the money I'm unhappy about, its the 1-way. This kid hasnt played over here in years, and we limited our options if he doesnt produce

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Its not the money I'm unhappy about, its the 1-way. This kid hasnt played over here in years, and we limited our options if he doesnt produce
Not really, just means if he doesn't win a spot he goes to Milwaukee and is paid 700,000. Waivers. And because of his lack of exposure in the NHL, he will go to Milwaukee.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Can he go back over seas if he doesnt work out?

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Not really, just means if he doesn't win a spot he goes to Milwaukee and is paid 700,000. Waivers. And because of his lack of exposure in the NHL, he will go to Milwaukee.
And for a team that allegedly only profits 700K a year, do you think we can afford to send our profit to the minors?

Unproven players on one-way contracts: O'Reilly, Sulzer, Anderson, Parent, Klein, Franson, Kosisyten?

Huge risk to us having all these unprovens on one-ways. Both on the ice and off.

I like given Anderson a chance, but what i really don't like are the others on one-way contracts (Parent, O'Reilly, Sulzer, in particular).

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
And for a team that allegedly only profits 700K a year, do you think we can afford to send our profit to the minors?

Unproven players on one-way contracts: O'Reilly, Sulzer, Anderson, Parent, Klein, Franson, Kosisyten?

Huge risk to us having all these unprovens on one-ways. Both on the ice and off.

I like given Anderson a chance, but what i really don't like are the others on one-way contracts (Parent, O'Reilly, Sulzer, in particular).
Yes

Risk is part of the game. Especially when you have to try to find gems in the midst of chaos and unknowns.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:51 PM
FD

I don't think Poile meant to hype this signing. The guys on the zone had a joke running with Poile about giving them the inside scoop on July 1, going back to his last time on the show discussing the Hamhuis trade. I think Poile was just caught up in the joke and gave them something he didn't intend to be hype or buzz. Poile has a history of walking into things like this backwards, if only the PR staff at the Preds knew to how bottle that up.

Edit, Sorry, was responding to worstfaceoffmanever post, "I still don't understand why Poile would hype this signing on the radio. Only the most die-hard of Predators fans even know who Andersson is." I've been reading these boards since 2001...but rarely post. Need to learn the tools better.

Last edited by FD: 07-01-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to ref quote.
FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Tomas W

This is a great signing IMO, at least in the swedish national team he was really good the past season. Don't underestimate him!

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:14 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I don't think Poile meant to hype this signing. The guys on the zone had a joke running with Poile about giving them the inside scoop on July 1, going back to his last time on the show discussing the Hamhuis trade. I think Poile was just caught up in the joke and gave them something he didn't intend to be hype or buzz. Poile has a history of walking into things like this backwards, if only the PR staff at the Preds knew to how bottle that up.

Edit, Sorry, was responding to worstfaceoffmanever post, "I still don't understand why Poile would hype this signing on the radio. Only the most die-hard of Predators fans even know who Andersson is." I've been reading these boards since 2001...but rarely post. Need to learn the tools better.
No but when Poile traded Arnott he said he was going to replace the goal scoring.

So he brought in a 28 year old that has never made it in the NHL and a 23 year old Russian with known attitude issues.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:24 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
Can he go back over seas if he doesnt work out?
I highly doubt he would go back over after signing a 1-way contract. This is much more than he could have made in Europe and since it's 1-way he will be paid the same amount whether he is playing in the AHL or NHL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:28 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

He doesn't go back over seas. He either works out or he plays 4th lines duties (Or maybe makes the Ads more unstoppable). Maybe totes a suit and pulls a Vince Young in the press box.

I have hope!

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Lot better than an 8 million dollar guy who has an attitude problem. Would you rather the Preds have an SK problem at under a million or a Vince Young problem at about 8 million?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:08 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

On one hand, you'd say "Well you blew so much money on VY the team will have to relocate" on the other "Well they're a boring team to watch, they can't score, casual fan doesn't go, they don't sell tickets, team relocates".

Say what you want, VY sells tickets.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
A former second round pick by Nashville back in the 99 Draft, the 29-year old has developed into a well-rounded two-way forward. At 63 and over 200 pounds Andresson has a big body to create space along the boards or in front of the net. His offense was evident at this years World Championships where his six goals ranked second in the tournament, tied with Pavel Datsyuk and just one behind John Tavares. But Andersson is also a solid defensive forward with a reputation as one of the top shot blockers in Europe. The Preds envision him as a solid role-playing forward with some similar traits as Jerred Smithson and Joel Ward.

Hes big, can really skate, and his scoring has really improved, Predators GM David Poile said. I think hes definitely going to be one of our penalty killers. He blocks shots thats an area we need some improvement in. This can be one of those signings that maybe goes under the radar, but I think Jonas Andersson can be a big help to the Predators next year.
Instant analysis from the Preds...now the question becomes...we know he's in the lineup, but where?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Instant analysis from the Preds...now the question becomes...we know he's in the lineup, but where?
3rd line with pp duty ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

He sounds a lot like Mikael Samuelsson...great defensively, can chip in offensively. If we get even close to that production, it's an amazing signing. If he scores 3 goals but helps the PK...it's still a good signing for the money.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote