HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger: Isles offer 10 years, 10million per to Kovalchuck

Old
07-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Duramarier

vCash: 500
With the cap increasing of 3M, I dont see it as a big problem. If you were ready to give him 8M, use 2 of these 3 more milions available and give it to Kovalchuk.

If you were ready to give him 8M with the cap at 56, you can live with him at 10M with a cap at 59M.

I know he should not make more then Crosby or Ovechkin but they are not available and never will. And If the cap continu to increase and it will, The salary will increase too. So I can assume someone will make more money than these two someday even if they are not better.

Duramarier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

even if it's a crazy contract they can have a very dangerous group of forwards in a near future, Kovalchuk,Tavares,Nino,Kabanov( maybe Kovalchuk can guide him)

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:21 AM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

They can sign him and still have over 15 mill left in the bank, insane.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Zeroknowledge*

I called this about 2 months ago for some reason just felt like a good fit for them as an organization.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I called this about 2 months ago
Link to this so called prediction?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Link to this so called prediction?
Glad to

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...0#post25847750

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:18 AM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
why does he feel so entitled to so much money?
He is going to be one of the last big name free agents to hit the market for a long time due to all the long term deals being signed. Equally, the guy is a perennial 40-50 goal scorer which is pretty rare these days.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
2013, Crosby will be UFA at 25.

He will immediatly get 20%: 12+M.
Something like 12 years at 12M.
Kovalchuk does not equal crosby. Kovalchuk should get no more than 8.7 average is all i meant.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Guy Caballero

This is hilarious. It's like the isles are addicted to handing out lifetime albatross contracts to overrated players. Its like a team trademark.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:34 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
This is hilarious. It's like the isles are addicted to handing out lifetime albatross contracts to overrated players. Its like a team trademark.
Kovalchuk isn't overrated. He's worth every penny, you just don't give it to him if you wanna have money to build a real team.

Old
07-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Kovalchuk isn't overrated. He's worth every penny, you just don't give it to him if you wanna have money to build a real team.
Worth 10 million a year? Sorry but no one by Crosby or OV would be worth that. And they will regret the deal when, like you said, they need to re-sign players down the road. Short-term they can afford it just fine but in the long run, having an inexperienced Snow as GM and Wang as the owner will hinder the Isles. This move doesn't make me a believer they'll win a cup and if they do get there, it'll be because they kept drafting well and developing kids properly. You usually make this move to put your team from good to cup contender, not to get them into the playoffs. Did they not learn from the Yashin and Dipietro deals? I know Kovy is way better but hell, the Lecavalier and 2001 Jaromir Jagr signings are proof that anybody can make you regret giving them such a giant lucrative deal. All the power to them but I won't be envying them too much.

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 07-03-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:59 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Worth 10 million a year? Sorry but no one by Crosby or OV would be worth that. And they will regret the deal when, like you said, they need to re-sign players down the road. Short-term they can afford it just fine but in the long run, having an inexperienced Snow as GM and Wang as the owner will hinder the Isles. I don't see the Isles winning a cup cause of this move. If they do it'll be because they kept drafting well and developing kids properly. You usually make this move to put your team from good to cup contender, not to get them into the playoffs. Did they not learn from the Yashin and Dipietro deals? I know Kovy is way better but hell, the Lecavalier and 2001 Jaromir Jagr signings are proof that anybody can make you regret giving them such a giant lucrative deal. All the power to them but I won't be envying them too much.
I think kovalchuk IS worth 10 million, but in a cap world you shouldn't give it to him. My logic is this, ovie and crosby are worth 12 mil(approx 20%) but choose to make less. If they are worth 12, kovalchuk is worth 10. However, that being said, like them, he shouldn't be given that much.

Old
07-03-2010, 03:38 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i heard the new cba will allow for renegotiation of contracts. and maybe the cap within 10 years could allow for such a contract with no problems. we're all looking at it with the cap as is. sure there could be another lockout in that span or what not though.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:45 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lol, as if Kovalchuck was the missing piece they needed. Unbelievable how they wouldn't allocate those kind of dollars to several positions, considering how their last overpaid Russian worked out.
If kovy flops, this franchise is in gigantic trouble. I dont think this has anything to do with finding the missing piece on your hockey club.

IMO, this is more of marketing move where the isles are going after a marquee talent in order to get some buzz going around the city and ultimately, I think they hope kovalchuk is the guy who builds the new arena that the isles desperately need.

The stakes are much higher than the size of this contract.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

I say he rejects the offer. I think he doesn't wanna be part of a struggling franchise again. Especially for 10 years.

Old
07-03-2010, 03:49 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I won't post all the links .. but if you follow Dreger and Lebrun on Twitter you will find links to other twitter accounts about the story.

Apparently Charles Wang thinks if he has Kovalchuk he can get a new arena deal approved.

What a fantastic combination made in heaven! An owner and a highly talented player who both have their priorities on selfish personal agendas and not the on-ice success of the team.

Wang wants the taxpayers to do the hard work and be forced to contribute the bucks to build him an arena while he cherry picks his photo ops and counts his money from future ticket and box sales. Kovalchuk forces his teammates to work twice as hard in their own zone to compensate for his incredible floatingness while HE cherrypicks breakaway chances and excessively hogs the puck when his line has interesting opportunities, all for $10M per year, a burdensome salary that precludes his team from putting together enough other good parts to actually win.

I could just see Wang investing $100M in this Yashin clone, getting his arena paid for with essentially stolen money, then buying the player out when the fan base or his GM realize that Kovy inevitably fails to deliver victories on the ice.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:07 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
why does he feel so entitled to so much money?
The $64 thousand question. He is perhaps yet another product of the post-Communist rebound era in Russia. The prevailing Russian ideology today is not based on a merit-based free market system where hard work and providing value to others is rewarded. Even though the supposedly Communist regime (which was nothing more than a fascist regime in practice) was overthrown, the PEOPLE had been subjected to more than 75 years of propaganda bashing classical free enterprise and equating success in business with evil. Kovalchuk grew up in a modern Russia where business success is too often obtained by force, through monopolies, extortion, gangsterism, private goon squads, political connections, etc. It's not that these things can't happen in other countries, too, but in the West we see these phenomena as FLAWS and not as the NORM. The sense of entitlement is a problem for the whole Russian business class and society, and its effects trickle down to the "middle class" and average person, too. Getting rich is secretly admired, the HOW of it completely downplayed.

Old
07-03-2010, 04:07 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
even if it's a crazy contract they can have a very dangerous group of forwards in a near future, Kovalchuk,Tavares,Nino,Kabanov( maybe Kovalchuk can guide him)
That'd be very strong indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
They can sign him and still have over 15 mill left in the bank, insane.
They could easily use 8m to sign another couple top notch defenders. This could be a helluva team.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:12 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramarier View Post
With the cap increasing of 3M, I dont see it as a big problem. If you were ready to give him 8M, use 2 of these 3 more milions available and give it to Kovalchuk.

If you were ready to give him 8M with the cap at 56, you can live with him at 10M with a cap at 59M.
First of all, it seems like he wants something like $11.5M, the max.

Second of all, the Islanders would be ill-advised to allocate ALL of the 5% increase in the cap to one player, because they still have to compete for all their other good players sooner or later, and the other teams can afford 5% more when the Islanders won't be able to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
He is going to be one of the last big name free agents to hit the market for a long time due to all the long term deals being signed. Equally, the guy is a perennial 40-50 goal scorer which is pretty rare these days.
Kovy wasn't the missing piece to get the Devils over the top, and the Devils have a good solid team. He certainly won't be the missing piece to put the Islanders over the top. He could well be the anchor that sinks the franchise however.

Old
07-03-2010, 05:33 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
What a fantastic combination made in heaven! An owner and a highly talented player who both have their priorities on selfish personal agendas and not the on-ice success of the team.

Wang wants the taxpayers to do the hard work and be forced to contribute the bucks to build him an arena while he cherry picks his photo ops and counts his money from future ticket and box sales. Kovalchuk forces his teammates to work twice as hard in their own zone to compensate for his incredible floatingness while HE cherrypicks breakaway chances and excessively hogs the puck when his line has interesting opportunities, all for $10M per year, a burdensome salary that precludes his team from putting together enough other good parts to actually win.

I could just see Wang investing $100M in this Yashin clone, getting his arena paid for with essentially stolen money, then buying the player out when the fan base or his GM realize that Kovy inevitably fails to deliver victories on the ice.
Hey it beats paying 7+ for a 12g scorer though, don't it?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

It would be great for the Islanders to have a star of that magnitude. At least the attendances would be great and it would bring a positive energy to the franchise. The lure for him would be that even though it's not the Rangers, it's still New York. He could have an apartment in Manhattan.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:00 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

I don't really care who's getting him. The "winner" should look at the big picture here:

10/10 invested into a player not named Crosby will harm your franchise in the long run. for LA this could mean:

+ Kovalchuck - Doughty or - Kopitar

Islanders
+ Kovalchuck - Tavares - Okposo esp. Tavares will be looking for 5.5+ per

Devils
+ Kovalchuck - Parise

Sure the cap gone up by 3 million BUT there will be a TDL and some impact players looking for pay day. If you don't want to end up like the Blackhawks you have to spend your money wisely no matter how much cap space you have.

Kings, Isles are both heading into the right direction. Ilya has to lower his expectations its that simple if he's really using the KHL offer as an "advantage" well good luck there wouldn't count on stable pay checks :-)

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:32 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Hey it beats paying 7+ for a 12g scorer though, don't it?
Yup, as shown in last seasons PO

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:42 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yup, as shown in last seasons PO
The one where gomez was nearly invisible?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:51 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
The one where gomez was nearly invisible?
yes, Goals = visibility

Not that pesky, "defensive crap" players are doing these days. Killing penalties? Blocking shots? Come on. Carrying the puck into the zone instead of the unbeatable dump and chase style play?

I mean, what good is a 2 time stanley cup winning, defensive playmaker when he's not scoring goals!?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote