HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds sign Matthew Lombardi - 3 years, $3.5 mil per

Old
07-03-2010, 09:58 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Even if we keep him, is it going to dramatically improve our PK since he can win a faceoff? If we let him go and lose more faceoffs, it's not like we can drop much further with our PK. I think you put Lombardi out there on the PK. I think Spaling is a smart kid who will adapt and be good in the faceoff dot. I think Legwand has improved every year in the dot. Remember him years ago, he was atrocious and see how far he's come? If Smithson's only value to us is as a faceoff guy on the PK, that is too much of a one trick pony for me. I'd rather have talent on the ice for after the faceoff than no talent on the faceoff to be stuck with stone hands.

As far as the artillery comment goes, bring it, I'm on the move today so I'll be a moving target.
Legwand was 41.7% at the dot shorthanded last season. He was over 50% in 08-09 and below 40% in 07-08.

Tootoo - one trick pony so far.
Belak - does he have a trick?
Smithson - does his trick on the PK.
Ward - 3rd/4th liner with the new additions
O'Reilly - same situation as Ward without the demonstrated performance a the NHL level. Definite trade bait already

Those are just the guys on the roster from last season who are marginalized so far. It doesn't count the guys in Milwaukee who now face a harder time getting a spot.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:34 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I have a feeling that who ever get's traded determines Legwand's position.

O'Reilly goes Legwand back to center. Dumont goes Legwand plays the wing.

Either way Jesus. Of the additions; Andersson has his Europe rep but no NHL rep. Lombardi on the PP may push O'Reilly out the door (3:20 Lombardi to O'Reilly's 2:05) Kostitsyn was used primarily on the PK in Montreal.

I'm still collecting the stats but if anyone wants cheap players for their 4th line, give Nashville a call.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Kostitsyn was used primarily on the PK in Montreal.
And that was part of the reason he didn't get along well with Jacques Martin. He has shown the ability to succeed on the PP when given the opportunity, but even post-Olympics when he was one of Montreal's best players...he got NO PP TIME.

SK will be on the PP in Nashville, he'll also likely kill penalties too...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:03 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
And that was part of the reason he didn't get along well with Jacques Martin. He has shown the ability to succeed on the PP when given the opportunity, but even post-Olympics when he was one of Montreal's best players...he got NO PP TIME.

SK will be on the PP in Nashville, he'll also likely kill penalties too...
Aren't you supposed to be on the road? LOL! And I can see that with the limited time he had he scored.

Old
07-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Aren't you supposed to be on the road? LOL! And I can see that with the limited time he had he scored.
Will be leaving in about an hour...was supposed to be out about an hour ago...just taking my time...

I have to admit, after the Lombardi signing yesterday...I'm SUPER EXCITED for the prospects camp next week just to see the Predator logo flying around the ice again. Is summer over yet? Drop the puck!!!

Old
07-03-2010, 11:10 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
I have to admit, after the Lombardi signing yesterday...I'm SUPER EXCITED for the prospects camp next week just to see the Predator logo flying around the ice again. Is summer over yet? Drop the puck!!!
Seriously, I'm there with you. Can we get some global cooling in this place?

So does Lombardi take the #1 center spot or is it still Wilson's?

Old
07-03-2010, 11:32 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Seriously, I'm there with you. Can we get some global cooling in this place?

So does Lombardi take the #1 center spot or is it still Wilson's?
I think it'll be tough to say which ine is #1 and which line is #2 and even line #3 (presumably with Legwand at center) wont be a classic 3rd line.

I think we are gonna have 3 second lines, honestly...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:34 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think it'll be tough to say which ine is #1 and which line is #2 and even line #3 (presumably with Legwand at center) wont be a classic 3rd line.

I think we are gonna have 3 second lines, honestly...
I have to ask. What the hell is wrong with that?

Old
07-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think the moves make us more of an attacking team. We saw glimpses of that last year. This is probably why, for the first time in years, I was pleased with our ES play - we attacked, we took shots, we were constantly moving. However, we had some weak links - Arnott was one of them. Replacing him with Lombardi just makes this style of play more intriguing. With three legitimate scoring lines (granted, of 2nd line quality), we should be even better at even strength. The SK addition further's this agenda. Parent's speed doesn't hurt matters easier. We added three highly skilled skaters this off-season......I am pleased.

07-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
The chance to play for Trotz, the only coach the Predators have had since entering the NHL in 1998, was a factor in Lombardi's decision to come to Nashville after helping the Phoenix Coyotes to the fourth-best record in the NHL in 2009-10.

"I had Barry at the World Championships two years ago when he was an assistant coach for Team Canada," Lombardi told reporters during a conference call on Friday night. "That was part of the decision. I knew what kind of a person he was. I talked to him on the phone (during negotiations) and we had a good conversation. I've played with guys who've played for him and have said great things. You really want to go somewhere where the coach is respected and the guys like him."
Quote:
"I talked with Barry about the guys and my role on the team and I thought it was the best fit for me. They've got a great core of guys and a really good young group coming up. I'm excited about the opportunity I have to come and help this team."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533723

David Poile and Barry Trotz: Two guys I don't know where we would be without...

Old
07-03-2010, 12:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
[url]
David Poile and Barry Trotz: Two guys I don't know where we would be without...
Hamilton. Hamilton.

Old
07-03-2010, 12:14 PM
WartracePred

Isn't speed one of the attributes that made the Preds so dangerous the first year after the lockout. We had Kariya and Sully constantly poaching. Legwand, Tootoo, and Nichol all provided a faster pace.

Since that year, PK left, Sully is older and slowed by his back, Nichol's in San Jose. Arny and Dumont aged noticeably as well.

Problem was. no size. We were manhandled by San Jose in the playoffs. So now we have a resurgence of speed. Does lack of size rear it's ugly head again? Don't think you can say that about our defense. Weber, Klein, Suter, Parent, and Franson all have decent size. Cube is the lone smurf I think.

Do we have enough size and grit offensively? Horny, Ward, and Wilson, though not huge, play a physical style. Kostitsyn has that reputation as well. Leggy, Erat, Sully, and Dumont all play a finesse style. Where do Lombardi and Andersson fall? If they possess no grit, I don't think that bodes well.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We can go with Wilson up the middle with Erat and Legwand on the wings followed by a Lombardi, Hornqvist, Sully combo and then a Goc line with Dumont and SK on the wings.

I really like this move. If SK signs with us, which appears to be the case, we are not sexy up front but we have a lot of depth and options to find three lines that can get it done. Heck, Ward, who a lot of us like doesn't crack the top 9 now. That sucks for him but I really like the depth we have now up front. Adding SK and Lombardi has given us a lot of our speed back. I am digging that too.

You are right on and I couldn't agree more. Leggy on the wing may get this guy where he needs to be. Lomb-Horni-Sully would be the best line we have iced in a while, not to mention speed players all on one line might even be able to gain the blue line without the dump and chase with that line.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
I have to ask. What the hell is wrong with that?
Yeah better than the three 4 lines we had after the selloff by Liarpold.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Lack of size? Nashville only has 3 players under 6'0" SUlly, Boullion, Tootoo. Now being aggressive is a whole different matter.

Old
07-03-2010, 01:18 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm saving my vacation days for training camp. Is that bad?

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:20 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Sorry for the rapid double posts, but I'm not really sure from where this "lack of size" idea continues to stem. I ran the numbers last season to prove a point and we were bigger than most teams in the league. We lost Arnott, so we lost size. But as BFC mentions there is a difference between having size and using it. We'll be ok. We aren't a bunch of smurfs anymore.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Lack of size? Nashville only has 3 players under 6'0" SUlly, Boullion, Tootoo. Now being aggressive is a whole different matter.
And Boullion and Toots are both physical, even though this causes Boullion to be out of position some times. I don't think size, or physicality, will be a very big problem this year.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:45 PM
DManPreds11

Great addition to our club, tsn's profile on him has Lombardi as C/LW so maybe he'll play wing along side Legwand or the other way. Dude was all over the ice in last seasons series against the Wings. Can't wait to see a 19 in a Preds uniform that can keep up with the play.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:57 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
Isn't speed one of the attributes that made the Preds so dangerous the first year after the lockout. We had Kariya and Sully constantly poaching. Legwand, Tootoo, and Nichol all provided a faster pace.

Since that year, PK left, Sully is older and slowed by his back, Nichol's in San Jose. Arny and Dumont aged noticeably as well.

Problem was. no size. We were manhandled by San Jose in the playoffs. So now we have a resurgence of speed. Does lack of size rear it's ugly head again? Don't think you can say that about our defense. Weber, Klein, Suter, Parent, and Franson all have decent size. Cube is the lone smurf I think.

Do we have enough size and grit offensively? Horny, Ward, and Wilson, though not huge, play a physical style. Kostitsyn has that reputation as well. Leggy, Erat, Sully, and Dumont all play a finesse style. Where do Lombardi and Andersson fall? If they possess no grit, I don't think that bodes well.
you have to remember the rest of the roster too. weber and suter were smaller than. there were no boards guys like ward. wilson isn't small. we only have a few guys that re small. but we have to use the size too

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Milly79

Trade O'Reilly to COL for a pick.
Sign Marek Svatos for less than what he was making.
Hopefully he turns out to be our sniper. Solution solved?

I've always wanted to see Svatos in a Preds uni. He really has no DF side, which I don't think would fly in our system, but a change of scenery could ignite something.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post

I've always wanted to see Svatos in a Preds uni. He really has no DF side, which I don't think would fly in our system, but a change of scenery could ignite something.
can't stay healthy

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:05 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Great addition to our club, tsn's profile on him has Lombardi as C/LW so maybe he'll play wing along side Legwand or the other way. Dude was all over the ice in last seasons series against the Wings. Can't wait to see a 19 in a Preds uniform that can keep up with the play.
I believe Lombardi wore #18 in Calgary and #15 in Phoenix. Has he already chosen #19 to wear for us?

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post

Sergei Kostitsyn has all the potential to be a Svatos type player, but better, younger, cheaper and healthier. Can't see any interest in Svatos, and at this point, we need another defenseman far more than we need another forward.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:36 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stache of Shea Weber View Post
I believe Lombardi wore #18 in Calgary and #15 in Phoenix. Has he already chosen #19 to wear for us?
Oh yeah, I forgot that was Doan, whoops! Do you know if he's ever played wing?

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote