HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Chris Terry

Old
07-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Chris Terry

Just wondering what you think of him as a prospect. He's never been much talked about but he's always devliered wherever he went. This year it seemed like he had a good year. Not that I saw him much, but displayed nice stats at least.

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
He's one of those guys that just seems to produce even though there's nothing that really stands out about him. We may have to wait at least one more season to see him at all at the NHL level but he is pretty good and pretty underrated as far as forward prospects go. Hopefully I'll be able to see him a good bit more next season as the team moves to Charlotte.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Fumble

At the start of last season, when management talked about "the prospects" McBain, Dalpe, Boychuk, Murhphy" always got mentioned... then as the season went on, you'd hear them throw in Terry's name in the topic more and more.

I expect him to do very very well in the AHL this year. He definately shows signs of being an NHL'er.

Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
He's another modestly sized forward with an incredible set of hands and very impressive vision. I think in order to find a full time NHL role, he's going to have to play a more physical game and get an opportunity on the 3rd line. I think he has hybrid 2nd and 3rd line upside with a 40-50 point ceiling in a plethora of roles. He's not the fastest kid out there, but he thinks the game very well and does have some offensive ability that makes you pay attention. He's one of the few guys in our system I would classify as a playmaker. I think that bumps him up a few notches on the depth chart.

He should get his first NHL action this upcoming season provided he picks up where he left off last year in Albany with Charlotte this season. He's a good kid with a big heart and I think that will serve him well as he develops through the system.

He won a slew of OHL superlatives his final year in Junior hockey during the Coaches Poll. He's just a guy who did a lot of his damage very quietly and without recognition. Quite the same way in Albany where he produced right on schedule with guys like Bowman and Boychuk despite a lower pedigree.

I have been touting this kid as the real deal for a long time along with Jerome Samson. Two guys that weren't even really high profile prospects that I just knew could probably put it together given enough time. It's too early to claim victory on either, but it's looking good.

The goal for Terry is going to be showing a bit more fire in the corners, getting his nose dirty more, and keeping that offensive presence high. He's not going to crack into the Top 6 anytime soon either by virtue or by grace, so he's going to have to bull his way into consideration elsewhere. Which means other aspects of his game have to improve. Things that historically as a Top 6 forward he didn't have to do to stay in the lineup. I think that's the biggest hurdle for young scorers from teams where they were "the guy", coming into the professional ranks. In the NHL, if you don't profile as a Top 6 player and you continue to float around the AHL and produce points you're still not going to get a look regardless of how well you do it. You have to start doing things that are somewhat out of character for you in order to draw attention. Ryan Bayda was a perfect example of that in action. High scorer at UND as a top line talent. Comes to the AHL and plays "his way" for a long time before he embraces the need to expand his game and once he does, is rewarded with time in the NHL playing a 3rd line role pest/agitator and does it well. Had he been more successful, he probably could have gotten a shot at Top 6 minutes from there, but it's not in the cards for everybody.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote