HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Modano: "Wings only team to call"

Old
07-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

vCash: 500
Ummmm, what are you waiting for Mike? Sign the contract already! Geez wasn't one of the first articles written after the season ended about how his mom wanted him to play one more year so she could see him play? Why not play in Michigan?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:20 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral zone trap13 View Post
Or they could make a Kariya-Modano-Selanne and whenever they are on the ice they could think ''Man, imagine how good this line wouldve been in 1998!''
Kariya is obligated to wear the old school Duck jersey, Modano the Minnesota North Star Jersey, and Selanne the Winnipeg Jets Jersey.

X8oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:54 PM
bhetz23
G-14 Classified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepo View Post
what's the whole dog thing referring to?
I think he was referring to an incident sevearl years ago where somone who was a close friend of Mike either stole or mis invested a TON of Modano's money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshots1515 View Post
I can get that. Though, we have to put up with the lions, and years of mismanagement of the tigers before recent success, so it does even out.
Touche, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Why not? Dallas forced him out. Maybe the Stars should have shown more loyalty to him. The Wings kept Chelios around even when he was clearly no better then a 7th defenceman for a couple of seasons. Modano could still make the top 12 of pretty much every team in the NHL.
Correction, the numbnuts pictured to your left and Tom Hicks forced him out. If you did a survey, I think you would find most Stars fans are very upset the way he was tossed to the curb. I haven't liked ANY of Joes moves, but I was stil considering buying a ticket package for next year, until he shoved Modano aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon89 View Post
If Dallas had any class they would sign him and let him finish out his career there.
The key word there is IF. If Joe and Hicks had any class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamsHjammer View Post
Edit I still hate Mark Messier. God, I wish people would let him wither away. One of my least favorite hockey players of all-time.
I have to go with Donald Brashear followed closely by Tie Domi. Consequently, I think they are two of the most USELESS players of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashspec View Post
I've never seen such a perfect way to end a game
I got to go to that game. During the whole game, they showed clips of different Stars players thanking the fans for they support. Jere and Marty got big cheers, but Modano was shown with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd. The entire arena gave him litteraly a 4-5 minute standing ovation. It was touching to see Mike tear up and wave his appreciation to the fans. And kudos to the Ducks players who understood the significance of the moment and tapped their sticks on the boards in respect. When Mo tied the game, the place went ape s, and when he scored the game winner in the shootout, it was beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
Kariya is obligated to wear the old school Duck jersey, Modano the Minnesota North Star Jersey, and Selanne the Winnipeg Jets Jersey.
+300 to you.

bhetz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:07 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshots1515 View Post
I get where you're coming from. It's just when I thought "Yzerman on the Avs" it seemed like an act of betrayal, not simply just a weird thing, and I just wondered if there was like some secret hatred the Stars fans had for us or something. I mean we've always been neck and neck atop the West, but there's no Lemiuex incident (or comparable) to indicate bad blood.
I get that this post is on the first page of a slightly longer thread, but I feel the need to add my 2 cents. I respect the hell out of the Detroit Red Wings. There is no bad blood, but I kind of see this as a lobsided rivalry. By and large, Stars fans get pretty geared up for Red Wings - Stars games. You guys are kind of like the slightly older brother who is just that much better than us. We win sometimes, but it usually feels like it was because you had an off-game rather than the Stars simply beating the Wings.

For the record, I'm pretty light on these rivalries. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are two of my favorite hockey players. That said, I know there are quite a few Stars fans who loathe the Red Wings. I've said it before, but Detroit may be the best fit for Modano now, but if he signs there I will throw up in my mouth a little when I actually see him in the winged wheel.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:13 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
I think this is a sign that he doesn't want to go to Detroit. If he was serious(at this moment) about signing there, why reveal to the media that no one else even has remote interest? I think he's still holding out to stay in the Pacific. Tough to see where he'd fit in, though.
Could be two-fold. First, the money is a non-issue, despite what a few out of the loop posters think. Modano is doing just fine money-wise. Second, people hold Detroit's hockey making decisions in high regard. Maybe he's floating the idea that one of the smarter organizations in hockey has interest, erego so should some others. Just a thought.

Old
07-03-2010, 04:56 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
Last I checked, Mo won the Cup with the Stars, and the majority of his career numbers has been as a Dallas Star. Why would he be obligated to wear a North Stars jersey? I'm all for respecting where this franchise came from, but give me a break.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:05 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
Last I checked, Mo won the Cup with the Stars, and the majority of his career numbers has been as a Dallas Star. Why would he be obligated to wear a North Stars jersey? I'm all for respecting where this franchise came from, but give me a break.
Tongue, meet cheek.

Foot, meet mouth.

X8oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

It's worth noting that even though he's from Michigan, Modano's parents are from New England and he was raised a Bruins fan.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Could be two-fold. First, the money is a non-issue, despite what a few out of the loop posters think. Modano is doing just fine money-wise. Second, people hold Detroit's hockey making decisions in high regard. Maybe he's floating the idea that one of the smarter organizations in hockey has interest, erego so should some others. Just a thought.
I figure it must mean that Ken Holland is lowballing him, it's very much what Holland should be doing in this position too, where Modano is a luxury, rather than a necessity.

So Modano by announcing it is presumably saying "look guys, only detroit has spoken to me, so if you put a bid in you will be a main contender" to try and get maybe another team he would prefer to play for, or just get more people in the bidding and get a decent offer from someone.

The alternative that I choose to believe is that Ken Holland is signing a 5/6 Defenseman and his offer to Modano was "whatever is leftover" so Modano is waiting patiently for that to happen.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Claypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
I figure it must mean that Ken Holland is lowballing him, it's very much what Holland should be doing in this position too, where Modano is a luxury, rather than a necessity.
Just because Holland called doesn't mean he actually offered a contract. GM's put feelers out to players all the time during free agency. Holland probably contacted a number of players to show they are interested in depth players and to see if Mike may be available.

Claypool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:11 PM
xtra

You know i am a little ticked that Mike Gillis has not at least inquired about Modano. Heres a guy that woudl be perfect for our 3rd/4th line with his cup exp. and leadership

xtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Mike, come back home... we're waiting.

I would like to see him here in Detroit. The added depth would be quite nice.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Robert Theodorson

He will regret looking at his list of accomplishments to include 20+ years with MIN/DAL and then 1 with the Red Wings, players who spend that much time with one team and one team only are almost always held in higher regard than their peers.

Retire Mike, you got your Cup, take the Stars management job and coach in a few years.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
He will regret looking at his list of accomplishments to include 20+ years with MIN/DAL and then 1 with the Red Wings, players who spend that much time with one team and one team only are almost always held in higher regard than their peers.

Retire Mike, you got your Cup, take the Stars management job and coach in a few years.
I'd like to see a list of all the players whose reputations are tarnished because they played 20 yrs with one franchise and then one year with another.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:41 PM
jamz

yall mad itt

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

dammit i was hoping he would go to new jersey, american leader in points playing with a player who may beat that record some day

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Claypool

Quote:
You earn your respect by being a great player, not because of the jersey you wear. Very few of the game's best played their entire career with one team. Even Bobby Orr had a cup of coffee in Chicago.

Modano won't regret anything if he goes to Detroit and wins another Stanley Cup.

Claypool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:05 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:

the first player I think of who played for another team to finish off his career is ray bourque...and nobody (with sanity) thinks any less of him for it

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:06 PM
THW

He has been rumored and has wanted to play here since he broke into the NHL, it would be icing on the cake to play where he grew up and where his Mother could see every home game. The only thing holding it up would be money, because Detroit needs another D-man. Not one player or fan worth his/her salt would ever hold it against a player who went to play with the team they grew up with or grew up being a fan of. Thats the dream of anyone who plays sports.

Last edited by THW: 07-04-2010 at 08:33 PM.
THW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind at all if Modano ended up in Detroit. I really don't see them as Dallas's rivals, nor do I detest them the way many Stars fans do.

If Mike wants to end/continue his career with the Wings, that's entirely up to him, and I don't think anyone here should think any less of him because of it.

07-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

Quote:

Yeah, totally! Guys like Gretzky, Orr and Howe... totally tarnished because they played with multiple teams.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Robitaille. Dionne. They are KINGS, regardless if they donned another jersey for a short time.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:56 PM
PocketGnome

Quote:

lolol. How many guys playing that many seasons spent all of it with one team?

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Sittler 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic79 View Post
IMO there should be at least 20 teams that could use Modano in a 3rd line vet. guidance role. The guy is all class.
Most definately

Sittler 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:22 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post
lolol. How many guys playing that many seasons spent all of it with one team?
I think that was his point. It's a unique thing to say about a player in any sport.