HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Souray

Old
07-02-2010, 04:33 PM
sabresfan65
Vote for Teppo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
He's missed over 90 games over the past three years.

No thanks

Plus, he'd kick Butler or Weber back to Portland and I'd rather go with those guys this year.
Not saying I would do it, but he only misses games every other year. The middle year of those three he miss a grand total of 1 game. This is scheduled to be a full year. The one after that, not so much.

sabresfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 05:49 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan65 View Post
Not saying I would do it, but he only misses games every other year. The middle year of those three he miss a grand total of 1 game. This is scheduled to be a full year. The one after that, not so much.
Yeah, so they should pick him up and trade him at the deadline!

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

I'd take Sabretooth armed with a t-shirt gun for 15 minutes a night before I take Souray.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:46 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Is this how low Sabre fans are forced to set their expectations, where every broken-down, overpaid, one-dimensional spare part around the league that no one else wants is the best that we should hope for? I know that Quinn's / Regier's actions the past few years have exacted a beating on our collective morale but seriously, Souray???

I'd rather have the Sabres bring Andy Delmore out of retirement.
there appears to be something wrong with your computers spell check

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:48 PM
dire wolf
be cool

FA is one way to acquire players. Trades are another. Darcy has always preferred trades. I'd rather he trade for Kaberle -- or any number of other players -- than sign Souray at this point. On the other hand, I'd rather he sign Souray than do nothing.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Westguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
FA is one way to acquire players. Trades are another. Darcy has always preferred trades. I'd rather he trade for Kaberle -- or any number of other players -- than sign Souray at this point. On the other hand, I'd rather he sign Souray than do nothing.
Exactly

Westguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Ddubs

I think I just vomited. How is this even a consideration?

Ddubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Mr Sakich

Souray's salary is only 4.5 mill, his cap hit is higher but non-cap teams are more concerned about actual salary, not cap hit.

BTW, did any of you guys see how he got injured last year? It wasn't a broken fingernail, he was tripped head first into the boards and then Iginla's knee nailed his head. He could have easily been carried out on a stretcher. The other injury was his wrist in a fight and that happens to a lot of guys.

This whole - injury plagued is a little overblown. Every guy in the NHL misses those games if Iggy does that to them. He was very very lucky it wasn't career ending.

watch the videa and name one Sabre who doesn't miss half a season after being hit like this.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
You know, at first when I saw Souray is on waivers, I said absolutely not. Don't want to have anything to do with that cap hit.

Now though, I honestly wouldn't mind claiming him. IF and that's a decent-sized if, he can stay healthy, he can be the difference between a successful PP and the one we had last season.

If we don't plan on getting Corvo or Bergeron and don't plan on doing anything much else this offseason, taking on Souray's 5.4M cap hit is fine with me. If we're not using the space for anything else, what do we have to lose? 4.5M in actual salary isn't that bad.

I'm not at all sold on Butler. He's a nice guy, but he's not been very good in either of his two seasons in the NHL so far. I know he's been here for only two years, but even in his rookie season when he was first called up and eventually stuck with the team, he didn't do anything out of the ordinary to impress me. We need a PP QB and as much as Souray's cap hit is and no matter how old he is, he fits the bill. If I see Butler manning one of the PP points one more time this year...

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
In other words, make change for change's sake. Right - that always works. Just as there is addition by subtraction, there can be subtraction by addition. The Sabres would become worse with Souray than if they stand pat - he's a liability on the ice, where his defensive deficiencies far outweigh the limited benefit his slapshot brings, as well as off the ice, where his salary would handicap the club for the next 2 years. Just look at how bad things got for Edmonton to try and unload him - does anyone seriously believe the Sabres could rid themselves of him if it didn't work out?

This Souray lunacy some fans keep begging for has to stop....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Quote:
On the other hand, I'd rather he sign Souray than do nothing.
I'm with you there

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:22 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Darcy has to go get him then, he cant sit around on a trade like he is known to do. We wouldnt have gotten Drury if Quinn didnt force Regier to make the trade quicker then he wanted to.

If Regier thinks he can get Kaberle then get him, dont mess around.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:24 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Souray Clears waviers! No one claimed him.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:31 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Souray Clears waviers! No one claimed him.
hard to believe

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Sabretip

An interesting stand-off is developing in Edmonton, between GM Steve Tambellini and defenceman Sheldon Souray.

Souray cleared waivers on Saturday, so Edmonton's hopes that an NHL team that missed out on the defenceman derby — Los Angeles, Washington, San Jose — would show interest went unanswered. There is no deal in place for a team to pick him up on re-entry waivers, nor do the Oilers plan to buy him out (a cap hit of $1.5 million for four seasons).

So, unless a suitor appears out of nowhere, the Oilers face two difficult decisions: Send Souray to the minors and eat entire salary, or bring him back to training camp and hope he can play himself into a viable trade commodity down the road.

The Oilers are dead set against the minors, though that would erase Souray’s cap hit from their books. But with kids like Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and perhaps others likely to play in Edmonton next year, it is imperative that Tambellini clean up what was a toxic dressing room at times over the past two seasons.

Gone are Pat Quinn, the entire training staff, captain Ethan Moreau (waivers), Patrick O’Sullivan (traded), Robert Nilsson (bought out) and others. Can you bring Souray back into that room and hope for the best?

He wore an ‘A’ last season. You would have to strip that letter.

Then ask him to be a good soldier…?

This won’t end pretty.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/..._west_roundup/

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Sheldon Souray is available for nothing in return after Edmonton put him on waivers Friday, as the Oilers are praying a team will pick up his big contract. You can rule out the Sharks on Souray; no interest there.

The Oilers figured some teams struck out trying to land a top UFA blueliner, so that explains their timing in placing Souray on waivers. They're crossing their fingers some team is eager enough to take him. But you can forget the notion of the Oilers placing Souray (who asked for a trade) on re-entry waivers and eating half of his deal. "No way," an Oilers source told ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...continue-day-2

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
An interesting stand-off is developing in Edmonton, between GM Steve Tambellini and defenceman Sheldon Souray.

Souray cleared waivers on Saturday, so Edmonton's hopes that an NHL team that missed out on the defenceman derby — Los Angeles, Washington, San Jose — would show interest went unanswered. There is no deal in place for a team to pick him up on re-entry waivers, nor do the Oilers plan to buy him out (a cap hit of $1.5 million for four seasons).

So, unless a suitor appears out of nowhere, the Oilers face two difficult decisions: Send Souray to the minors and eat entire salary, or bring him back to training camp and hope he can play himself into a viable trade commodity down the road.

The Oilers are dead set against the minors, though that would erase Souray’s cap hit from their books. But with kids like Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and perhaps others likely to play in Edmonton next year, it is imperative that Tambellini clean up what was a toxic dressing room at times over the past two seasons.

Gone are Pat Quinn, the entire training staff, captain Ethan Moreau (waivers), Patrick O’Sullivan (traded), Robert Nilsson (bought out) and others. Can you bring Souray back into that room and hope for the best?

He wore an ‘A’ last season. You would have to strip that letter.

Then ask him to be a good soldier…?

This won’t end pretty.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/..._west_roundup/

I expect a team to take Souray out of Edmonton via trade. Of course nobody is going to claim his full 5.400 million off waivers. Even on re-entry, not many teams want to add 2.700 for two full seasons on an iffy player.

Edmonton's only shot is to swallow a contract just as bad. I wouldn't be surprised at a Souray for Finger trade once Burke moves Kaberle.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Ringo13

Souray will not be put on re-entry waivers. He will either be traded or he will be an Oiler next year.
When healthy, he is a fantastic player by the way. I would take him and his play 100% of the time over a guy like Kaberle. Puts up points, plays physical, and can beat up almost anyone in the league.

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:52 PM
mgeise

I would take Souray on our blueline for sure. It is a bit of a risk, but to honest I would have rather taken a risk on a guy that can add a physical element to our defense while potentially adding a lethal weapon to the power play. I would have taken a potential 20 goal defenseman who would fit into the lineup (left-handed in a defense with 3 right handers) without giving up any assets and a only a two year, $9 million commitment. Adding Souray, bringing back Kennedy and Kaleta, signing someone like Kyle Wellwood or Eric Belanger, and maybe bringing in a backup goalie would likely work in the budget, especially if Stafford and/or Butler/Sekera's cap hits come off the book in trades.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote