HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moulson, Welch, and Lannon

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2005, 04:16 PM
pitthockey81

vCash: 500
Moulson, Welch, and Lannon

Right now Comcast has the Harvard vs Cornell Game under the Sports/Fitness and CSTV section for anyone interested. After watching here is my take on these three Penguins prospects.

Noah Welch - D

Was not very impressed at all with him, but Harvard did play a double overtime game the night before and looked sluggish all-around.
Passing: Breakout passes were erradic at times. Other than that he made the simple pass more often than not.
Shooting: Only took a couple shots, not going to judge him here.
Positioning: Got victimized badly on a 2 on 1, partly because he was very indecisive about what he was going to do. However, he was strong in front of the net.
Toughness: Didn't shy away from rough play...absolutely destroyed one of the Cornel players on one hit.
Overal Grade: B-
It looks like he has all the tools to be a strong defenseman. He definatly needs to spend some time in the AHL though.

Ryan Lannon - D
Looked better than Welch.
Passing: His passes were much sharper and didn't really force anything. He kept his game simple.
Shooting: Same as Welch, can't really judge him here.
Positioning: He got burned a couple times, but on one occasion made a nice diving poke check at the last second. Stay at home defenseman.
Toughness: Looks like he hits anything that has a different color jersey on.
Overal Grade: B+
Same as Welch, needs to spend some time in the AHL. Definatly has NHL potential due to his rugged play and stay at home approach.

Matt Moulson - F

Passing: Good passes, especially on the Power Play where he registered 2 assists.
Shooting: Good shot, easily was the games best forward. Generated numerous scoring chances.
Skating: Decent speed, and good ability to shake defenseman.
Overal Grade: A
Moulson reminds me a little of Matt Murley. Hes a smart player who isnt afraid to pull the trigger when hes in scoring range. Also uses his teammates very well. Will definatly give Wilkes-Barre an instant boost when added to their lineup.

I know its only one game, but all three prospects looked pretty good. I would like to see Noah Welch in another game, because I was not overly impressed with him. Hopefully it was just an off night.

Old
03-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I saw Welch play both games in the tourney and he was vastly better in the first game. I think the two OT games in 24 hours just about took everything he had.

That said...Lannon impressed the hell out of me. He was better than Welch in both games. Moulson was fantastic in both games too(I watched all the games...thank you ESPNU )

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
03-30-2005, 06:57 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
I saw Welch play both games in the tourney and he was vastly better in the first game. I think the two OT games in 24 hours just about took everything he had.

That said...Lannon impressed the hell out of me. He was better than Welch in both games. Moulson was fantastic in both games too(I watched all the games...thank you ESPNU )
Very true. If you saw Lannon last year and even early this year he wasn't that impressive. Donato earns full marks for teaching this kid that playing within yourself is very important. Great to see because Lannon has great character and will be an asset to whomever he plays for on and off the ice.

Closed Thread