HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possibility of Moving Suter

Old
07-04-2010, 01:45 AM
duxfever

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to duxfever
Possibility of Moving Suter

Hello Predators fans,

The Bobby Ryan situation has me nervous about whether we will re-sign him or trade him to another team. After seeing all of the trade offers people have thrown out, most of them being ridiculous or not fitting, the only one I truly liked was us getting Suter in return for Ryan.

I understand the value of a player like Suter and believe the Ducks would have to add in order to acquire him. I am here to ask a couple things:

1. What is the likelihood of a deal involving Suter? Is he even being considered to be moved or is that just HF posters throwing ideas around?

and

2. What would the + have to be for Anaheim to acquire him?

Thanks guys and good luck next season!

duxfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfever View Post
Hello Predators fans,

The Bobby Ryan situation has me nervous about whether we will re-sign him or trade him to another team. After seeing all of the trade offers people have thrown out, most of them being ridiculous or not fitting, the only one I truly liked was us getting Suter in return for Ryan.

I understand the value of a player like Suter and believe the Ducks would have to add in order to acquire him. I am here to ask a couple things:

1. What is the likelihood of a deal involving Suter? Is he even being considered to be moved or is that just HF posters throwing ideas around?

and

2. What would the + have to be for Anaheim to acquire him?

Thanks guys and good luck next season!
This ... a Franchise Defenseman would have to be coming the other way, considering there are fewer of those in this league than there are # 1 forwards

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
This ... a Franchise Defenseman would have to be coming the other way, considering there are fewer of those in this league than there are # 1 forwards
Agreed, I think while it is nice to have a sexy star forward in your lineup, it is better suited for the Nashville Predators to build around a top goalie, two No. 1 franchise defensemen, and a deep core of second-tier solid two-way skill forwards.

No one on our team will make more than Weber or Suter unless they are a homegrown star. It's just not in the cards right now for the franchise until we can max out our ticket and corporate sponsorship revenues.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:34 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Id do a trade if it looked like this.....

To Ducks: Ryan Suter, J.P. Dumont, & Cal O'reilly

To Preds: Bobby Ryan, (Cam Fowler or Lucas Sbisa), & Emerson Etem

But we know you would never give up both your first round picks like that so I dont think Suter could possibly be moved for that reason exactly.

Last edited by I Will Son: 07-04-2010 at 03:39 AM.
I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:10 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
Id do a trade if it looked like this.....

To Ducks: Ryan Suter, J.P. Dumont, & Cal O'reilly

To Preds: Bobby Ryan, (Cam Fowler or Lucas Sbisa), & Emerson Etem

But we know you would never give up both your first round picks like that so I dont think Suter could possibly be moved for that reason exactly.
I agree with what we'd be giving up but coming from anaheim i'd like to see them give Bobby, Etem, and a 2nd to be honest i think we have that kind of depth at the moment to be able to rid a players contract like that we dont need Fowler nor shall we want to take him we have plenty of exciting young gun dman knocking on the door for us these next couple seasons or so. But id regretfully give Suter up for a talent like Bobby its just factors in on what the Ducks would be willing to part with

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:48 AM
goalscorer

I'd make the swap in a heart beat. Not sure what the + would have to be though.

This organization has a great reputation of drafting and developing d-men. We have Blum, Josi, COR and Ellis all being developed. I think all four of these guys have the potential to one day fill the void created by trading Suter. Don't get me wrong, Suter is one of the best up and coming defensive d-men in the league, but he's not Weber. Weber is irreplacable, not Suter. The Webers, Doughtys and Keiths don't come around very often. I know Suter brings diffrent qualities to the table, but realistically he is a solid defensive d-man who compliments Weber. You can draft and mold players to become Suter (to an extent).

Bobby Ryan is a pure goal scorer. That's not something you can teach. You either have that ability or you don't. He's hit the 30 goal mark in each of his first two seasons and is only 23 years old. He hasn't even hit his prime yet. DP and his scouts have never drafted or molded a forward of that caliber. Radulov may be the exception, but he's not here. Wilson will be a solid NHLer, but I don't see him becoming a elite forward in the NHL. (Hopefully I'm wrong) DP will always draft solid two-way forwards. It's safe and we're never really in the position to draft the eiltes in the top three picks.

So if it were up to me. I'd let our scouts keep drafting potentially elite d-men. Thats their strength. There comes a time when you have to utilize assets for the good of the organization. Would our d hurt from losing Suter? Absolutely. Especially right now, but I've always liked the saying you can't win games if you don't score goals. Bobby Ryan can score goals. Flame away, my fellow Preds fans.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:06 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
I'd make the swap in a heart beat. Not sure what the + would have to be though.

This organization has a great reputation of drafting and developing d-men. We have Blum, Josi, COR and Ellis all being developed. I think all four of these guys have the potential to one day fill the void created by trading Suter. Don't get me wrong, Suter is one of the best up and coming defensive d-men in the league, but he's not Weber. Weber is irreplacable, not Suter. The Webers, Doughtys and Keiths don't come around very often. I know Suter brings diffrent qualities to the table, but realistically he is a solid defensive d-man who compliments Weber. You can draft and mold players to become Suter (to an extent).

Bobby Ryan is a pure goal scorer. That's not something you can teach. You either have that ability or you don't. He's hit the 30 goal mark in each of his first two seasons and is only 23 years old. He hasn't even hit his prime yet. DP and his scouts have never drafted or molded a forward of that caliber. Radulov may be the exception, but he's not here. Wilson will be a solid NHLer, but I don't see him becoming a elite forward in the NHL. (Hopefully I'm wrong) DP will always draft solid two-way forwards. It's safe and we're never really in the position to draft the eiltes in the top three picks.

So if it were up to me. I'd let our scouts keep drafting potentially elite d-men. Thats their strength. There comes a time when you have to utilize assets for the good of the organization. Would our d hurt from losing Suter? Absolutely. Especially right now, but I've always liked the saying you can't win games if you don't score goals. Bobby Ryan can score goals. Flame away, my fellow Preds fans.
Absolutely right. I believe Suter's role is replaceable to the degree of us getting B. Ryan(gotta give to receive), and due to the fact we have Franson or whoever you feel is a long/short term replacement in our system, people underrate his potential (franson) tremendously and he will be proving ppl wrong left and right next couple seasons while he develops into a very reliable all around dman even if hes gettin bottom pairing, hes got size and a helluva shot, only thing he needs to work on is positioning and conditioning and if we just let him develop like nature intends hes gonna be our next big Dman with many others to follow in his footsteps some notables are Josi, COR, Blum, Ryan Ellis, etc.

But the Ducks in my opinion would have to send a first + B. Ryan or 3rd with a prospect + B Ryan to get the deal going but i only wish i could be in charge of these deals

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:04 AM
JamboPred

Also how would webers play be effected if suter was gone

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:21 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

HF thinks we're going to dump Suter?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:06 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Ryan has already turned down 5 million per. To sign in nashville you figure would take upwards of 6 mil.

Suter only makes 3.5 for the next two years.

If for no other reason(and there are plenty of other reasons), the deal cant happen because we cant add the extra salary this year.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:06 AM
glenngineer

I would have made this deal 2 years ago. Since then, Suter has significantly raised his play. Ryan, although very good, is wanting more than Getzlaf and Perry who are the leaders of Anaheim which tells me he's in it for him and not a team guy. I understand guys want to get paid but not at the cost of ruining team chemistry. Also, at this point, after losing Hamhuis and Grebeshkov, we don't have anyone in our system who can play the minutes and rolls we'd have open if we trade Suter. Thanks but no thanks.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would much rather have Suter than Ryan. The salaries will be close to the same, so the extra would have to be gigantic for the Predators to do this IMO. I think the return would have to far outweigh the perceived value.

07-04-2010, 02:02 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

bobby ryan wouldn't getlaf and perry arounf to inflate him numbers either

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I agree with Slake entirely. I would much rather have a group of defensemen over offense any day. Case and point, look at Carolina, built around offense but are very inconsistent, why? Because the lack of defensive consistency. You could make a case for injury problems but the root cause of Carolina arising every other year is due to their depth on defense.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:38 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Ryan has already turned down 5 million per. To sign in nashville you figure would take upwards of 6 mil.

Suter only makes 3.5 for the next two years.

If for no other reason(and there are plenty of other reasons), the deal cant happen because we cant add the extra salary this year.
Does Nashville pay anyone 5 or 6 million/a year? I would much rather pay almost half that for Suter who is about the same skill level and is familiar with this team.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
HF thinks we're going to dump Suter?
I was thinking this, too. never going to happen. The way this team is built, from the back end out, we couldn't prudently move Suter or Weber without massive return. And as SLake said, we would love to have a "sexy" forward (SLake's words, not mine ) but it just can't happen.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:52 PM
roseyc

Sutter right now is a star and Ryan who might become one and has potential to be one; isn't right now. So they would have to send 2 players(Ryan and somebody of high quality) for 1 (Suter)

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:10 PM
lightning_legwand*

Still like my offer the best!

To Nashville - Ryan, Wisniewski, 1st rounder pick

To Ducks - Suter, Smithson

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:39 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
not this year.... we don't have the guy to play first pair with Weber, regardless of concerns about drop-off in play and whatnot that stuff doesn't even matter - we simply have nobody to play the minutes on that pair with Weber.....

down the road - while I would hold onto both, and I believe Suter will be the better player, he will be the more replaceable one, I think, looking at our guys..... Ellis would be my bet - and that's several years away......

and has been pointed out, a stud F isn't really the problem, it's productivity on the PP. now, maybe a stud F solves that, maybe not, but even the best of the scorers can go in slumps, have bad year, etc.... solid D - well, you can have a bad game, but those skills are not the kind that just disappear for weeks at a time.... so, stud D and good, but not gr8, Fs be my choice of way to go, at least 4now with our budget.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Byrddog

Ryan and Etem For Suter and yes give Ryan the 6 mil. Save Suters 3.5 add 2.5 to it by moving Dumont, Tootoo. This would give you two young kids that are more offensivly skilled than what is on the team now.

Additionally Preds will not be able to keep Weber and Suter when there contracts are up. Look at the $$$$$$$$$$ Hamhuis just got and both Weber and Suter will require 5.5 to resign. Yes it is a while off, but if the Quackers would be willing to send Ryan and Etem the long term team would be much improved.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I think it would have to be something that the Preds would have to give strong consideration, but I feel as though management would side with being conservative as per usual it seems and play it safe with Suter and draft offensive talent.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:32 AM
goalscorer

I would agree that this isn't the year to make the trade. But I think that at some point we will have to start using our strength (developing d-men) to balance out our weakness (developing scorers). Offense wins games, but defense wins championships hasn't worked for this team yet.

On another note. I am excited about this years squad. We don't have the "superstar", but we have a good mix of speed, size and playmaking ability. I am anxious to see what Trotz can do with them.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:47 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Ryan and Etem For Suter and yes give Ryan the 6 mil. Save Suters 3.5 add 2.5 to it by moving Dumont, Tootoo. This would give you two young kids that are more offensivly skilled than what is on the team now.

Additionally Preds will not be able to keep Weber and Suter when there contracts are up. Look at the $$$$$$$$$$ Hamhuis just got and both Weber and Suter will require 5.5 to resign. Yes it is a while off, but if the Quackers would be willing to send Ryan and Etem the long term team would be much improved.
So if we give Ryan $6 million and move Suter, how are we going to re-sign Weber? According to your logic, if it's going to cost us $5.5 to keep Suter and Weber each, at the minimum, how could we keep Ryan and Weber? It does not compute in my head. If we trade Dumont and Tootoo, it saves us the money for the next two years, and while that we help us retain Weber, it won't help us retain Ryan or Suter. We will find a way to keep both of them. There is no way that Poile is going to let either of them go.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So if we give Ryan $6 million and move Suter, how are we going to re-sign Weber? According to your logic, if it's going to cost us $5.5 to keep Suter and Weber each, at the minimum, how could we keep Ryan and Weber? It does not compute in my head. If we trade Dumont and Tootoo, it saves us the money for the next two years, and while that we help us retain Weber, it won't help us retain Ryan or Suter. We will find a way to keep both of them. There is no way that Poile is going to let either of them go.
I basiclly think you are right there will be no change. It will in turn put the team basically in the same ole same ole situation sound defensivly streaks of scoring and a PP that is no better than middle of the pack ( which would be a drastic improvment over the past couple years). Consider however that if this trade was made it could improve the team to 105 points and home ice advantage in the playoffs. Then imagine, I know it is a streach but a second round series with home ice pretty much assures 3 games at home with revenue of 1.25 to 1.5 mil per game. If the ownership reinvests that money in the team Weber and Ryan could be retained, and it would go a long way spark more interest in the regular season ticket sales for the next year. All of this is hypothetical and of the three players I mentioned in the post only Tootoo is totally expendable. Many here are down on Dumont but I don't think the Preds should give up on him.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:25 AM
predfan24

If Sutes and Webs can both be signed long term deals 10 years 5.5 million per. That would be more than doable from a Preda perspective. I'm hoping that's the type of deal we see

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote