HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sheldon Souray clears waivers

Old
07-04-2010, 03:03 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
I'd rather take a 2 year dump before I'd trade for Finger.
so then you would trade for finger

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:19 AM
excape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Since january souray has been injured, had his hand get infected, publicly demanded a trade and criticised the team. his value now is like 10% of what it was before he went crazy. the recent proposals you show arent that bad

souray for ryder and thomas is thinking his value is too high?

im not even in these posts but if your gonna slag an entire fan base have an actual ****** proposal not 5 that are 7 months old and 3 average to bad ones
First off, did you really even see all of the proposals? The first four are from late June. The last three are from January.

Secondly, the proposals are not average. They are just plain ******, I'm sure many will agree. The post lists Souray for Ryder, Thomas and a 32nd overall pick, not just Thomas and Ryder. Another proposal is straight up or Krejci. Another is essentially for a 1st rounder (11th overall) and Fistric (unless you see his value being equal to Plantes).

He asked for someone to find one proposal where any Edmonton fan wants a first rounder back and I just posted some. I'm not slagging on an entire fanbase. Every fanbase has their fair share of people who overrate their players.

excape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:23 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Problem is they waived Souray because teams were trying to force their bad contracts on them in a trade. At least thats what Mckenzie speculated. It's unlikely that the oilers become desperate enough that they actually cave on those offers but we'll see.
There is one big difference with Witt though -- he only has 1 year left. Putting Souray on waivers was an attempt to get a team to make a kneejerk reaction and it didn't pan out; as all of the offers were for bad contracts in return.

If you're talking about moving Souray's $5.4 off the cap for the next 2 years, and having to take back Brendan Witt @3m for one year...that's not bad. Especially considering that Souray only makes $4.5m in actual salary and the Isles aren't even within the realm of the salary cap.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:01 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
The Oliers can't even give him away

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:21 AM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by excape View Post
First off, did you really even see all of the proposals? The first four are from late June. The last three are from January.

Secondly, the proposals are not average. They are just plain ******, I'm sure many will agree. The post lists Souray for Ryder, Thomas and a 32nd overall pick, not just Thomas and Ryder. Another proposal is straight up or Krejci. Another is essentially for a 1st rounder (11th overall) and Fistric (unless you see his value being equal to Plantes).

He asked for someone to find one proposal where any Edmonton fan wants a first rounder back and I just posted some. I'm not slagging on an entire fanbase. Every fanbase has their fair share of people who overrate their players.
Did YOU look at all the proposals. I mean, really, closely look at them. The one you're going off about in this post (Thomas, Ryder, 2nd) comes from a guy named "Oates2Nealy" with a Bruins avatar and a location of "Beantown". This is your evidence that Oilers fans were asking for a 1st?

So again, what did you prove:
- "LOL, stupid Oilers fans"? When Bruins fans themselves were offering up Ryder, Thomas and a 2nd?
- there are thousands of HFBoards posters, you can pretty much find one from any fan base who will say just about anything?
- you're so eager to prove something about Oilers fans that you spent hours or whatever digging up old posts, but in your feverish excitement didn't even bother to check who it was that was making the proposals?

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:13 AM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
In my opinion, the biggest thing preventing teams from being interested in Souray is his comments about the Oilers.

He's still a very good player, and while he has a fairly large contract, it's still manageable for a lot of teams.

The problem is that teams will find it difficult to want a player who has done what he has.
This.

Souray's comments were damaging to himself more so than to the Oilers. Making the comments (like being forced to play when he first signed) and then having to backtrack made him look bad.

Seriously, I'm not surprised he wasn't picked up on waivers. Nobody wants to take on that kind of cap hit without giving up one in return.

The Oilers aren't going to give up any high picks or important players to sweeten any deal for Souray, save for maybe Cogliano, but if that's the case, the Oilers are going to want a little more than Brewer or Witt or someone of that ilk back.

Souray's contract is bad because of the injuries. He is still a useful player when he is healthy. Witt and Brewer are just bad.

North is offline   Reply With Quote