HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fan Bio on Dan Hamhuis

Old
07-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Thanks for the in-depth analysis guys, while we would've loved to sign a number one guy, we took the best guy available and the most feasible choice out there.

Our biggest weakness in the playoffs wasn't ES, but the PK, and if Hamhuis is a great PKer that fills one of our biggest holes.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Our biggest weakness in the playoffs wasn't ES, but the PK, and if Hamhuis is a great PKer that fills one of our biggest holes.
I think you missed the part where they said their pk was ranked #28 with hamhuis on it...

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

There's one thing I've always said proves how under the radar Hammer is: He's been with us a long time and has now signed a deal for 4.5 mil a year with another team, yet I've been to almost every game since Hammer has been a Pred and I've never seen a Hamhuis jersey. Maybe once or twice over the years but I don't remember it. Maybe it's where I sit, I don't know. But I consider myself to be quite a wanderer between periods. Anyway I think that's fitting to his style. Stays out of the spotlight but is solid for the most part and has been pretty reliable for years. I remember I saw him at a bar one night with Mason and I can not envision another professional athlete being more quiet than he was. Oh well whatever, I always liked him and the reasons have been well documented by previous posts, but the truth was it was his time to head somewhere else. Good luck back home, kind of.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
There's one thing I've always said proves how under the radar Hammer is: He's been with us a long time and has now signed a deal for 4.5 mil a year with another team, yet I've been to almost every game since Hammer has been a Pred and I've never seen a Hamhuis jersey. Maybe once or twice over the years but I don't remember it. Maybe it's where I sit, I don't know. But I consider myself to be quite a wanderer between periods. Anyway I think that's fitting to his style. Stays out of the spotlight but is solid for the most part and has been pretty reliable for years. I remember I saw him at a bar one night with Mason and I can not envision another professional athlete being more quiet than he was. Oh well whatever, I always liked him and the reasons have been well documented by previous posts, but the truth was it was his time to head somewhere else. Good luck back home, kind of.
I have worn Hamhuis' final game-worn mustard 3rd jersey for the past 2 seasons.

I too though have not seen many though around the arena. I agree. I think it has to do a lot with the quiet nature Dan has to his game. If you don't notice him on any given night...he's had a great game. On nights you notice him it's likely going to be for a mistake or two...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I have worn Hamhuis' final game-worn mustard 3rd jersey for the past 2 seasons.

I too though have not seen many though around the arena. I agree. I think it has to do a lot with the quiet nature Dan has to his game. If you don't notice him on any given night...he's had a great game. On nights you notice him it's likely going to be for a mistake or two...
Maybe I've seen you once, if so, you would be the only one haha. But as far as Hammer being "positively unnoticeable", I agree. He's kinda like a ref. More you notice him, worse it is. If you don't notice him he's doing his job.

One thing I haven't seen pointed out though that I always thought he was pretty good at was floating accurate wristers towards the net from the blue line. He doesn't intend to score, he just does a good job throwing the puck at the net for a deflection, rebound, or the occasional goal. And he brought me one of my favorite moments in Preds history....for about 2 minutes until we choked it away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXiM0adJ4Lc (couldn't get the youtube embed to work)

Come to think of it, I'm sure gonna miss the kid.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:22 AM
AEM6729

I'm surprised there's no thread/comments about Hammer's little jab at Nashville at the Canucks state of the union event. Am I missing this topic being discussed in another thread??

Hope that worked, I've never imbedded video before.

If it didn't work maybe this link will: YouTube video here.

"So Dan, does this remind you of a July 7th in Nashville?"
"No, this would be November, at a home game."

Wow, thanks man. Totally out of character for him, but he's dead to me now! He's gonna get it when the Canucks come here!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I'm surprised there's no thread/comments about Hammer's little jab at Nashville at the Canucks state of the union event. Am I missing this topic being discussed in another thread??

Wow, thanks man. Totally out of character for him, but he's dead to me now! He's gonna get it when the Canucks come here!
meh ... i don't care ... we'll still be telling him he sucks when he gets burned repeatedly by Hornqvist & Co

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Fyi, I also had a Hamhuis Mustard...but it was x-large, and those fit big to begin with so it was hanging off me, never wore it a lot.

I like his game and his demeanor, but he's not worth losing sleep over.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:00 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post

holy crap. even the canucks fans thought he was being a jerk.... lets hear all the "Hamhuis is a great guy, loves nashville, wants to stay here...blah blah blah" people defend this...

hamhuis showed his true colors when he held out until into camp for hs last deal...

good riddance dan, and look out for #22 and #6 when we see you this fall....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:08 AM
WSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Also a good point raised is Hammer's PK minutes. He got a ton here, especially last season. I feel the only reason for this is Webs and Sutes got so many minutes in ES time.
Ice Time Last Year Per Game:

Suter Even 18:51 PP 3:12 PK 1:53 Overall 23:58
Weber Even 18:22 PP 3:32 PK 1:15 Overall 23:10
Hamhuis Even 18:09 PP 0:25 PK 2:39 Overall 21:15

It would seem your assumption would be wrong. The big difference is in the PP time, not ES time.

Coincidentally, the difference in the point totals of the 3 players is also completely related to their PP time as well.

Suter 20 ES points in 82 games
Weber 23 ES points in 78 games
Hamhuis 23 ES points in 78 games

Playing on the PP is much easier for a dman than playing on the PK. It also lends itself to getting a lot more points.

I understand Nashville fans need to justify not having him anymore, but he really isn't that far off the other two other than in PP time and PP points.

He also had more takeaways than either of the other two guys and had 93 hits more than Suter and 17 less than Weber. It doesn't sound like that big of a difference in his physical play. A lot of it is the role he was used in by NSH.

Any guy who gets top PK minutes is trusted defensively by the coach so he can't be that bad defensively.

WSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:00 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSA View Post
I understand Nashville fans need to justify not having him anymore, but he really isn't that far off the other two other than in PP time and PP points.

He also had more takeaways than either of the other two guys and had 93 hits more than Suter and 17 less than Weber. It doesn't sound like that big of a difference in his physical play. A lot of it is the role he was used in by NSH.

Any guy who gets top PK minutes is trusted defensively by the coach so he can't be that bad defensively.
Way to try to use stats to try to tell fans who have watched him in person every home game for years why their claims are all wrong. Such as that he isn't as physical... He will hit, why do you think everyone here talks about his hipcheck? But he's not physical at knocking a guy away from the net type. Yeah, I think he's a better PKer than Weber because PKing rewards a type of mobile defense instead of Weber's bruising. He's not better than Suter at PK in my view but he's a decent PKer. And he's good at even strength, but he's not as good offensively as Suter and Weber. But he can produce offense.

Anyway, few here have said anything other then he's not the overall player as our Suter and Weber. Two excellent defensemen who played big roles on their respective Olympic teams. And if you think he is, well, good luck. It's not from a "need to justify" anything. We'd have kept him if he wanted to stay at 3.5 million or so I'd think. Higher, and we have some good defenders to bring along to go with our undisputed top two of Suter and Weber who we'll need to pay very highly to keep. So we weren't really in the salary ballpark, not with our prospects to move up. Nobody said "Boy, sure glad Hamhuis is gone..."

Hamhuis is a good player. Clearly at least a 2nd pairing defensemen. Vancouver will like him I think. And yes, the stats show he's fairly solid. We had trouble this year when he was paired with Klein, maybe because they needed a vocal guy, and Hamhuis isn't that type. But Hammer still played a solid role in a 100 point season.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-17-2010 at 03:19 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:18 AM
WSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Way to try to use stats to try to tell fans who have watched him in person every home game for years why their claims are all wrong. Such as that he isn't as physical... He will hit, why do you think everyone here talks about his hipcheck? But he's not physical at knocking a guy away from the net type. Yeah, I think he's a better PKer than Weber because PKing rewards a type of mobile defense instead of Weber's bruising. He's not better than Suter at PK in my view but he's a decent PKer. And he's good at even strength, but he's not as good offensively as Suter and Weber. But he can produce offense.

Anyway, few here have said anything other then he's not the overall player as our Suter and Weber. Two excellent defensemen who played big roles on their respective Olympic teams. And if you think he is, well, good luck. It's not from a "need to justify" anything. We'd have kept him if he wanted to stay at 3.5 million or so I'd think. Higher, and we have some good defenders to bring along to go with our undisputed top two of Suter and Weber who we'll need to pay very highly to keep. So we weren't really in the salary ballpark, not with our prospects to move up. Nobody said "Boy, sure glad Hamhuis is gone..."

Hamhuis is a good player. Clearly at least a 2nd pairing defensemen. Vancouver will like him I think. And yes, the stats show he's fairly solid. We had trouble this year when he was paired with Klein, maybe because they needed a vocal guy, and Hamhuis isn't that type. But Hammer still played a solid role in a 100 point season.
Well, you got me there. I don't live in Nashville and didn't watch him in person every game so I obviously know nothing about him......

How many fans in Nashville watched him play since before he was drafted? I did, and watched him many times with the PG Cougars in person. I have also followed his play and his career very closely, although I admit not in person (like that really matters).

When did I say he was a crease clearing type? And I sort of consider hip checking to be hitting and physical. I also never said he was a better overall player than either of those two guys either. i just stated that given the role he was used in and the numbers he put up, he was pretty comparable in how things ended up.

As for stats not meaning anything, I agree that they are not the end all and be all, but when someone makes a comment like the one I quoted, why am I wrong to back up my statement with facts that actually dispute his opinion? You would think people would prefer that someone actually backed their opinion up rather than just tell the guy he doesn't know what he's talking about like so many others do on these forums. I disagreed with his comment and tried to back it up with stats. Sorry for trying to be respectful there buddy.

I have read many threads where Nashville fans were saying that Klein had to carry him, he was 6th on the depth chart, he was useless, etc. That's what I find unrealistic. Nashville has a ridiculous record at drafting quality defensemen. If they were a team that didn't have that depth coming up, they would have held onto him. For other teams that maybe don't have that same dearth of young defense prospects coming up, he was even more valuable.

he is a good player that was behind two very good players in Weber and Suter. Who knows what he will do in a different environment. I happen to think based on watching him for all these years, that he will do just fine in Vancouver as well.

Old
07-17-2010, 04:35 AM
OpenWheel

Well, you have a point about using the stats. Much better with, than without. (I did some of that with his numbers back in May to try to examine what we were losing for myself, lol He came out well.)

Thanks for the clarification. It seemed you felt the negatives listed by Nashville fans were just sour grapes, justifying you said. So as far as "respectful", I didn't think that was quite getting it. Sure, people naturally tended to list some downsides when asked for a report, (if he was coming here, they'd talk positives) but he has many positives as well, some listed by the fans. One thing maybe not noted enough is that he's been very durable. Vancouver can expect him in the lineup every night.

I agree that saying he's as low as a third pairing guy is rather ridiculous, and if so, that's one hell of a defense. He's a good mobile, experienced defenseman.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-17-2010 at 04:58 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 09:57 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We could also point out that the reason he was just used on the penalty kill was that he didn't have to think with the puck, which is where he gets into trouble. And of course he got more takeaways, he played the puck way more than most defensemen, he had a really good really active stick, but sometimes he did depend on it too much and would get dangled pretty bad.

No matter how you slice it, he wasn't close to Suter or Weber in talent, never will be.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 05:01 PM
WSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We could also point out that the reason he was just used on the penalty kill was that he didn't have to think with the puck, which is where he gets into trouble. And of course he got more takeaways, he played the puck way more than most defensemen, he had a really good really active stick, but sometimes he did depend on it too much and would get dangled pretty bad.

No matter how you slice it, he wasn't close to Suter or Weber in talent, never will be.
I'm not sure I agree that playing on the PK makes it so you don't have to think with the puck.

You don't have to be offensively creative on the PK but you get a lot more time to make decisions on the PP. On the PK, you still have to make good decisions with the puck in order to clear it out of harm's way. A mistake or lapse in thinking on the PK increases the chances of a goal against. A mistake or lapse in thinking on the PP means you dump it into the corner or pass it to an open guy.

I completely disagree with your assessment there.

Old
07-17-2010, 06:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSA View Post
I'm not sure I agree that playing on the PK makes it so you don't have to think with the puck.

You don't have to be offensively creative on the PK but you get a lot more time to make decisions on the PP. On the PK, you still have to make good decisions with the puck in order to clear it out of harm's way. A mistake or lapse in thinking on the PK increases the chances of a goal against. A mistake or lapse in thinking on the PP means you dump it into the corner or pass it to an open guy.

I completely disagree with your assessment there.
You're going to hate Hamhuis' clears then. No one on the team had more failed clearing attempts than him this season.

And I meant when on the pk, you generally aren't looking to do anything other than clear the puck, you're not transitioning the puck, which is good because again, that's where he struggles the most.

Hamhuis' two weakest points are his inconsistancy playing the body and transitioning the puck.

He was effective on the pk because he used his very active stick to takeaway passing lanes, and he didn't have to worry about transitioning the puck.

Again, he is a good defenseman, a valuable one but he's not close to Weber and Suter.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 08:45 PM
token grinder

if you want real pain, re-watch game six vs chicago. last min of the first period. legwand wins the faceoff to hamhuis. hamhuis with a weak clear up the boards stopped by the d-man. shot, bounces around to toews, series winning goal. all started by mr. no clear.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 10:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

There's no sense trying to reason with this guy. Everything we say that's based on watching Hamhuis play for the last 6+ seasons in Nashville will go out the window, because it's "bitterness over losing him," and he'll choose to believe that the stats tell the tale.

Objectively, I know this:

Hamhuis's defensive play has gone from rock solid as a third pairing guy on the 05-06 and 06-07 team, to pretty good in 07-08 and 08-09, to downright average\inconsistent in 09-10. Believe that if you will...or don't. I don't care. He has great games, but he also has very, very bad games. He's can be too passive physically, leans on playing the puck over the body FAR too much(leading to a tendency to get burned by slick puck handlers), and he's more likely to screen his own goalie\tip a puck by than clear the crease. That said, on most nights, he'll do a steady enough job on the second pairing. Is all of that worth 4.5 million? Not in my opinion...but...go ahead and chalk that up to "bitterness" like everything else. I personally wasn't sad to see him go, most of us weren't, and that's at any price. I'm more bummed about Grebeshkov being gone, honestly.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:01 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/8466154

got this from the canucks page.

interview with hamhuis by a BC radio station.

about 17 minutes or so...

if you listen to what he says when asked about his signing it sounds like he thought he would sign with Pittsburgh, but wanted to wait and see what else he got, and pittsburgh just moved on and signed other guys on the 1st and so hammer was left with vancouver. he actually sounds a little disappointed.... but thats what happens when you are are greedy...

also implied that there were some brief hard feelings between suter and Weber over the Olys...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/8466154

got this from the canucks page.

interview with hamhuis by a BC radio station.

about 17 minutes or so...

if you listen to what he says when asked about his signing it sounds like he thought he would sign with Pittsburgh, but wanted to wait and see what else he got, and pittsburgh just moved on and signed other guys on the 1st and so hammer was left with vancouver. he actually sounds a little disappointed.... but thats what happens when you are are greedy...

also implied that there were some brief hard feelings between suter and Weber over the Olys...
that's understandable due to the fact that the olympics were in his backyard

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote