HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Modano: "Wings only team to call"

Old
07-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

vCash: 500
I think the difference between all those guys that spent their career with one team and Modano is that those guys were ready to retire. Modano isn't. Steve Yzerman was in Detroit as long as he could physically lace them up and Nik Lidstrom will be too. Modano can still play. He's no longer a star center but he's still a very dependable 2 way forward with 50 point upside. I'm not really sure why the Stars wouldn't want him.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:21 AM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I get that this post is on the first page of a slightly longer thread, but I feel the need to add my 2 cents. I respect the hell out of the Detroit Red Wings. There is no bad blood, but I kind of see this as a lobsided rivalry. By and large, Stars fans get pretty geared up for Red Wings - Stars games. You guys are kind of like the slightly older brother who is just that much better than us. We win sometimes, but it usually feels like it was because you had an off-game rather than the Stars simply beating the Wings.

For the record, I'm pretty light on these rivalries. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are two of my favorite hockey players. That said, I know there are quite a few Stars fans who loathe the Red Wings. I've said it before, but Detroit may be the best fit for Modano now, but if he signs there I will throw up in my mouth a little when I actually see him in the winged wheel.
Legit. See, the reason I didn't think of it as a traditional rivalry is because I was thinking more along the lines of the Avs being like an Ohio State (I'm a Michigan fan). If I see an Ohio State/Avs logo, I get angry just thinking about it, that's how deep that hate goes (though the Avs need to get relevant again...). I would liken the Stars more to Michigan State-it's a big game, we certainly like to come play hard and beat them, but afterwards I could chill with their fans for a beer and such.

Still, I know what you mean about Modano. Tough to see a longtime fan favorite go anywhere else, regardless of where. Hell, we were sad to see Yzerman go to Tampa to be a GM, despite having him in the system for his entire playing career plus several years as an executive. Some players just mean that much.

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:24 AM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post
lolol. How many guys playing that many seasons spent all of it with one team?
That's the point. Puts you in line with the Yzermans, Sakics, and Lidstroms of the world.

Old
07-04-2010, 04:40 AM
beeker16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
I'm not really sure why the Stars wouldn't want him.
I think it has something to do with the same reason they didn't want Brett Hull after his contract ended or Belfour as his was ending.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
I think it has something to do with the same reason they didn't want Brett Hull after his contract ended or Belfour as his was ending.
I forgot that Belfour and Hull were lifetime Stars before moving on.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:03 AM
PocketGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshots1515 View Post
That's the point. Puts you in line with the Yzermans, Sakics, and Lidstroms of the world.
But Mike Modano isn't ready to retire. He shouldn't give up on his career just because his original team isn't ready to resign him. That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:28 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Center position in Detroit is a bit more challenging than some teams:
- High defensive responsibility
- Need to be good puck distributor
- the 3rd liner center will have to work hard for the puck (since Hudler, Cleary are most likely the linemates)
- He can't float and try to score
Modano does all of that. He's not as quick as he was a few years ago but the guy still has awesome defensive awareness / responsibility. "Work hard for the puck" goes along with that ... he'll never be a Draper or a Holmstrom in terms of going hard into the corner with his body, but if a Datsyuk-style hard-working poke-checker will satisfy that role, Modano's got that. "Floating and trying to score" is about 100 miles from what Mike Modano has been ever since Ken Hitchcock first got a hold of him back in the mid-90's. Again, he's not a violent forechecker, but the guy does the work.
Quote:
Really? I've always considered Dallas a respected competitor, not a hated rival like the Avs. Is the feeling different the other way?
Derian Hatcher signing with Detroit still stings. Obviously that didn't work out for you at all, but for a "big market team" -- which is what Dallas was before Tom Hicks went bust -- to lose their captain to free agency while he's still more or less in his prime ... ouch. Maybe I only feel this way because -- to date -- no Texas-bred players have defected Michigan or Alberta to play at him, but to see Modano do the same thing would be really, really painful.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Unholy

Probably the only Star I actually like
Turco and Ott ruined it for the others, except Neal.

I hope the Duck killer gets a reasonable offer somewhere...but god not Detroit of all places thats just not cool

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:02 AM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post
But Mike Modano isn't ready to retire. He shouldn't give up on his career just because his original team isn't ready to resign him. That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day.
Not saying he should retire if he's not ready, but OP had a point with the fact that those players are held in a different esteem.

Last edited by slapshots1515: 07-04-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old
07-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Modano does all of that. He's not as quick as he was a few years ago but the guy still has awesome defensive awareness / responsibility. "Work hard for the puck" goes along with that ... he'll never be a Draper or a Holmstrom in terms of going hard into the corner with his body, but if a Datsyuk-style hard-working poke-checker will satisfy that role, Modano's got that. "Floating and trying to score" is about 100 miles from what Mike Modano has been ever since Ken Hitchcock first got a hold of him back in the mid-90's. Again, he's not a violent forechecker, but the guy does the work.
How much have you watched Modano over the past two seasons? He's not the same player that he was under Hitchcock. When he wants to play he is still very good. The problem is that he takes too many games off. Maybe a different team and coach will reenergize him. Dallas let him go because he was no longer showing the consistent hard work needed from a third or fourth line center.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I remember some Blues fans telling us that Dallas Drake had nothing left when the Wings signed him and then he went on to be a force in the playoffs. I'm hoping if the Wings sign him it's the same thing.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Theres a difference between Mike Modano and Brett Hull/Ed Belfour. for one thing theres class, leadership, and loyalty. For another theres the fact that Modano is the greatest star ever and will have his number retired by the stars. Neither of those guys will.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Not saying he should retire if he's not ready, but OP had a point with the fact that those players are held in a different esteem.
By whom? I certainly don't respect Sakic any more than Gretzky because he managed to play his entire career in one place.

What an arbitrary way to determine respect.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
I think it has something to do with the same reason they didn't want Brett Hull after his contract ended

Quote:
or Belfour as his was ending.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I was under the impression that he originally did not want to be signed by just anyone. So I am guessing it is not 1 of 29 teams who contacted him, but 1 of ? teams. Maybe his text is his way of saying he is now open to offers from more teams.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:41 PM
99 steps
to the top

I wonder how much he's demanding in terms of $$$. Because I could see the Hawks having interest if he'd be ok with $1M or less (perhaps plus incentives).

I'm thinking he could get more elsewhere, though.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I would love NJ to make a call. He's played with our captain and our head coach. He's played against one our assistants for a lot of his early career, and ended up playing our other assistant a few times before he retired too.

And our GM was his GM for two international tournaments.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:43 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I remember some Blues fans telling us that Dallas Drake had nothing left when the Wings signed him and then he went on to be a force in the playoffs. I'm hoping if the Wings sign him it's the same thing.
Your avatar is brilliant. Well played.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Xander Crews
Genius Poster

Im pretty shocked teams arent scrambling to get him... assuming hes not asking for millions (which i doubt its about the money to him at this point) seems like he would be a great fit on most teams.

I wouldnt mind seeing him on the Leafs to help teach the kids and still play solid.

Xander Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I actually could see him asking for a lot of money. Didn't during the lockout he say that 4M couldn't feed his dog?

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I actually could see him asking for a lot of money. Didn't during the lockout he say that 4M couldn't feed his dog?
That ***** has expensive taste.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
fail

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:21 PM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
By whom? I certainly don't respect Sakic any more than Gretzky because he managed to play his entire career in one place.

What an arbitrary way to determine respect.
I don't necessarily respect his talent/the complete package more, certainly not over a player like Gretzky. But there is something to be said for loyalty to an organization-those guys are beloved in those cities.

Good comparison here-Yzerman and Fedorov. Certainly Fedorov is at least arguably as talented as Yzerman (in their primes, of course), or in the same ballpark, and vice versa. Both were integral parts of the Wings' mid-90's Cup runs, yet Yzerman is revered in Detroit, while Fedorov is almost reviled, all because of loyalty to the organization. Yeah, when you're talking about ridiculous disparities in talent, it's not going to make up the whole difference, but it counts for something.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:11 AM
MxK1NGS

Modano, look at what Brind'amour did and just follow him.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Would slot in as an awesome 2nd-3rd line center in Edmonton.

I still remember the days when the Stars (mainly Modano/Zubov) would slaughter the Oilers in the first round of the play-offs in the early 2000's.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote