HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The losers of Free Agency: The Colorado Avalanche

Old
07-02-2010, 11:24 PM
ikonos

vCash: 500
Say what you will about kroenke, but he is a successful businessman and knows when to pay up and when not to pay up. They want each of their business to pay themselves up and if the Avs have been filling up the seats am sure he would have increased the budget little bit more. On the other hand he and the Avs management team know that it takes a good 3 years to rebuild a team and it has only been 1 year so far. As others have mentioned it is wise to let your youngsters develop by getting more playing time and when they are ready to make the next step then add key FA signings to complete the roster.

Every year during FA signing period and Trade deadline period some fans drum the beat to get the biggest baddest glamorous player on the market. I like what the management did so far but I think they will add a low risk signing once the players asking prices come down in few days. I rather use the existing cap space to extend contracts of our young players so the cap hit in future years will be less for them.

ikonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Mant*

That's a double edged sword... if the Avs were putting a quality product (that's what Kroenke sees the team as) that was worth paying THE SECOND HIGHEST TICKET PRICES IN THE LEAGUE FOR... seats would be filled. As it is, nobody in Colorado is going to pay those ticket prices to see a mediocre team.

Kroenke needs to spend money on the team to get it back to the days where they were a true contender, or he needs to lower ticket prices by about 40%.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:48 AM
niwotsblessing

The losers of free agency are the people who think the Avs were the losers in free agency.

niwotsblessing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:54 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
That's a double edged sword... if the Avs were putting a quality product (that's what Kroenke sees the team as) that was worth paying THE SECOND HIGHEST TICKET PRICES IN THE LEAGUE FOR... seats would be filled. As it is, nobody in Colorado is going to pay those ticket prices to see a mediocre team.

Kroenke needs to spend money on the team to get it back to the days where they were a true contender, or he needs to lower ticket prices by about 40%.
Wait 4 years, we'll have at least three 6 million dollar forwards, and they won't come through free agency. Then there'll be money spent on the team and everyone can be happy.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:07 AM
NWAvsFan

Every year the teams that go after the big players are deemed winners and everybody else losers. Soon thereafter the contract reality hangover sets in and things look a little different. We ain't gonna wake up with a fat chick this year.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:15 AM
jaisen73

And let's try to remember that last year was quiet too. And yet the Avs made what most would call the best signing of last summer's free agency in terms of what it cost them and what they got in return.

I still see a signing (or trade) or two coming up but clearly the Avs aren't going to play the overpayment game in the weakest crop of UFA's since the lockout.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:46 PM
54toscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Every year the teams that go after the big players are deemed winners and everybody else losers. Soon thereafter the contract reality hangover sets in and things look a little different. We ain't gonna wake up with a fat chick this year.
Yes. Hamhuis at $4.5 mln per? He was a second-pair defenseman in Nashville, and rumor has it that Philly told him that he would probably be third-pair there. Everyone's been clamoring for the Avs to sign a legit top-pair defenseman, but I don't think Hamhuis was that guy. Ditto for Volchenkov--less offensive upside than Hannan and with the kind of game he plays, you wonder what kind of shape he'll be in by the end of the contract. I suspect Martin and Michalek both took a little less to play in Pittsburgh--they could offer something that Avs couldn't--a core that has won the Cup recently.

Keep the cap space, see how the prospects develop over the next year or two, then make your move. These days, there always seems to be teams looking to unload contracts.

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Seaward*

Avs make offer to Kovy.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
Avs make offer to Kovy.
Que?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

As a semi-outsider, I too am surprised that Sherman didn't pick up a d-man. However, there's still a lot of time. He may go shopping after training camp.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:18 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
As a semi-outsider, I too am surprised that Sherman didn't pick up a d-man. However, there's still a lot of time. He may go shopping after training camp.
Some ppl are surprised, some aren't.

I'm not.

We already have 6 proven NHLers locked up, with 2-3 young guys trying to steal a job in camp. If those young guys totally flop, a borderline NHLer could be found for cheap if necessary.

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I don't think the Avalanche should sign a defender... I think they should package a few of their B list guys for an A lister.

Old
07-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Some ppl are surprised, some aren't.

I'm not.

We already have 6 proven NHLers locked up, with 2-3 young guys trying to steal a job in camp. If those young guys totally flop, a borderline NHLer could be found for cheap if necessary.
Yeah but the team desperately needs more toughness on the back end (unless Shattenkirk or Cohen are bringing some serious sandpaper).

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:34 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Wait 4 years, we'll have at least three 6 million dollar forwards, and they won't come through free agency. Then there'll be money spent on the team and everyone can be happy.
Who is the third?

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I could see Duchene getting 7million... Stastny is a 6...

I'm guessing a new forward would make 6? Couturier or Nugent-Hopkins please.

Hopefully that's not what Stewart is expecting...?

Old
07-03-2010, 10:11 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Yeah but the team desperately needs more toughness on the back end (unless Shattenkirk or Cohen are bringing some serious sandpaper).
Valid point. Atleast last year we also had Clark and Salei, who were atleast somewhat tough players. That could give Gaunce an upper hand in camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I could see Duchene getting 7million... Stastny is a 6...

I'm guessing a new forward would make 6? Couturier or Nugent-Hopkins please.

Hopefully that's not what Stewart is expecting...?
Haha, that's a little too early to worry about.

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Valid point. Atleast last year we also had Clark and Salei, who were atleast somewhat tough players. That could give Gaunce an upper hand in camp.

If we're speculating might as well wishful think while we at it right

Old
07-03-2010, 10:30 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:

Wilson and Foote have plenty of sandpaper if age and health don't sideline them. If Footer is used as the right kind of role player his contribution will be in this area where we don't have any excess.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:06 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Who is the third?
By the time he hit's 28, Stewart will be in that range for sure. Stastny got 6.6 after getting 78, 71 point seasons. If Stewart continues his progression he should be an 80~ point guy with 35~ goals a year. Expect him to make at least 6 million, that's if the Avs plan to keep him otherwise he'll go somewhere else for that price.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote