HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks/Islanders

Old
07-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Isles_Guy*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by passive voice View Post

At the risk of getting dangerously off-topic, do you know where I could find such a study?
I dont know where, the only reason I know it exists, is that when I was part of the IRS Katrina relief team, after they shipped us down to louisiana, We were briefed by FEMA personnel, and they told us, Ive looked for the data myself but havent found it yet, among the things we were told that 200 people die each year, and that lightning strikes the earth 100 times every second of the day, and that people who have been struck previously have a greater risk of being struck again.

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:54 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
This is what I was getting at. obviously he saw that maybe his style of play put him in the position where it might be more likely for him to be at risk, and he took protective action, thats what i was looking for....

I know coincidences do occur, but sometimes we put ourselves in a position where we help the odds.

good job at understanding what I was trying to put into words, the analytical mind sometimes sees things that language doesnt adequately express
His style of play?

Really?

Skating to the corner and get stepped on?

It has NOTHING to do with his style of play!

Pretty sure its because he doesnt tape the ankle part of the skate to his sock, therefore when a skate rides down your leg, the blade can slide right down to your achilles.

Calling a player who suffered skate cuts injury prone is pretty silly IMO.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Comeau had a great game against you guys this year, he came into his own down the stretch this year, until he was boarded at the end, but he is untradeable at this point, he is young and the Isles put a lot into him and it is finally paying off.
I expect that kind of nonsense from Isles guy, not from you. Untradeable? Really? So was Bergenheim and Hunter, I suppose.

Right now Comeau is a streaky player - very good physical skills, very little hockey sense. Sound familiar? Obviously, he has better strength and hands than Bergenheim, but still. For half the year he was a turnover machine or benched.

I consider this strongly, but without Martin. We need that kind of player. I loved his spirit when he came up. He's not ready, but he could be a Chris Simon type without the psychosis.

As for one I was wrong about, Nielsen is simply *not* available.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:57 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by passive voice View Post
Any chance Nielsen could be had?

No, but beware: if you touch him, he breaks.

At the risk of getting dangerously off-topic, do you know where I could find such a study?
Nielsen could be had, but his Islander value is greater than his market value, he is our 3rd line center. Salo would be good to mentor our young guys but with a NTC he is not leaving Vancouver, and well Vancouver is a very nice city.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I expect that kind of nonsense from Isles guy, not from you. Untradeable? Really? So was Bergenheim and Hunter, I suppose.

Right now Comeau is a streaky player - very good physical skills, very little hockey sense. Sound familiar? Obviously, he has better strength and hands than Bergenheim, but still. For half the year he was a turnover machine or benched.

I consider this strongly, but without Martin. We need that kind of player. I loved his spirit when he came up. He's not ready, but he could be a Chris Simon type without the psychosis.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I admit I now absolutely nothing about Martin and only a bit about Comeau. Would you or another knowledgeable Isles fan be able to give a quick overview?

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:03 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Cheers,

Dan-o

Hey Dan-O, I will debate this with you LOL... Comeau is tradeable in a package for Jeff Carter or Bobby Ryan, no doubt as is Nielson, as is Hunter, as is even Bailey.

But to put Comeau in a deal for Bieksa (2nd coming of Pilon), would be a bad move. Comeau turned the corner last year, the last 45-50 games, he was very consistent and arguably at times our best forward. He is not a smart player, but that can be said of a lot of the elite guys in the league, who ride purely on talent. Comeau is finally getting it. He clicked with Tavares last year nicely.

There is a world of difference between Bergenheim and Comeau, that is when I created that Bergen-Meau post some time back.

1. Comeau can score goals, Bergey can not

2. Comeau does not take the dumb penalty.

3. Comeau has shown signs of improvement, in that he stopped streaking down the side with the puck and going in circles. Bergey never stopped that bad habit.

He certainly is tradeable as part of a package to land a top forward, but not in a trade for a role player. Comeau with the Sedins, would be like Bertuzzi with Naslund and Morrison, something that would look very bad to Isles fans down the road.

Old
07-04-2010, 02:07 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
I admit I now absolutely nothing about Martin and only a bit about Comeau. Would you or another knowledgeable Isles fan be able to give a quick overview?
Martin is a kid, about 20-21, who got a brief call up last year. He is an energy player, who drops the gloves, but is raw in talent. He is probably 1-2 years away from quality NHL minutes, but when he came up last year with the Isles, he gave us needed enforcement and a big body in front at times.

Comeau is an enigmatic player, who has had a rollercoaster ride with the Isles. Some of us (me included) see him as a future star in this league still, others will see him as erratic. He has good skill, kills penalties, can go on some really nice streaks, singlehandedly put on a clinic against the Stanley Cup Hawks. The biggest issue with Comeau is hockey IQ, which is more likely exposed with being on a young Islander team. He cost us a road game against the Wild last year that was a coughed up puck in his own end because he chose to skate out instead of clear the zone and got exiled to the luxury box for 15 games.

Upon returning from the luxury box, he became a top 6 player on our team and often our best forward. Some will debate it, but if he ended up in Vancouver, it would become Bertuzzi II

Old
07-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Martin is a kid, about 20-21, who got a brief call up last year. He is an energy player, who drops the gloves, but is raw in talent. He is probably 1-2 years away from quality NHL minutes, but when he came up last year with the Isles, he gave us needed enforcement and a big body in front at times.

Comeau is an enigmatic player, who has had a rollercoaster ride with the Isles. Some of us (me included) see him as a future star in this league still, others will see him as erratic. He has good skill, kills penalties, can go on some really nice streaks, singlehandedly put on a clinic against the Stanley Cup Hawks. The biggest issue with Comeau is hockey IQ, which is more likely exposed with being on a young Islander team. He cost us a road game against the Wild last year that was a coughed up puck in his own end because he chose to skate out instead of clear the zone and got exiled to the luxury box for 15 games.

Upon returning from the luxury box, he became a top 6 player on our team and often our best forward. Some will debate it, but if he ended up in Vancouver, it would become Bertuzzi II
Agreed, I would not be looking to trade Comeau at all, it seemed like a lightbulb finally turned on in the 2nd half last year, he never had that long of a stretch where he played that good.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote