HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Why Not Mike Modano?

Old
07-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Why Not Mike Modano?

Why not? He's still got feet, can shoot, can make plays, wins faceoffs and will sign for 1 year around 1M-1.5M$ most likely. He would help out our center load. If nothing else a veteran presence in the lineup we will need, some1 who could give our centers some tips on faceoffs and I think he could still pot 40+ points if he stays healthy. Reportable he's only gotten a call from one team and that's Detroit. Now if know you'll say he'll take Detroit over Florida anyday that might be true but is Detroit offering more than minimum salary or would it be a mistake for us to sign him. Another retirement package? I don't know. Always liked Mike Modano and wouldn't mind seeing him center our 2nd line more than Reinprect

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
He's not really a top 6 center anymore. I loved Modano for yrs but in the last 2 or so, his game has decreased quite a bit. I'd pass on him personally but like you said, if Detroit is calling, it may be too hard for him to pass up to play with a contender over FL.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
He's not really a top 6 center anymore. I loved Modano for yrs but in the last 2 or so, his game has decreased quite a bit. I'd pass on him personally but like you said, if Detroit is calling, it may be too hard for him to pass up to play with a contender over FL.
No he's not a top 6 center but it's pretty clear we won't be trading/signing one this off season. I only offered this up as a fix for one year. Although I see it highly unlikely he'd sign here as he'd want to push for a cup in my mind. But for our needs he'd help us out for next season. He's better than Reinprect.

Old
07-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
No he's not a top 6 center but it's pretty clear we won't be trading/signing one this off season. I only offered this up as a fix for one year. Although I see it highly unlikely he'd sign here as he'd want to push for a cup in my mind. But for our needs he'd help us out for next season. He's better than Reinprect.
I doubt he'd sign here, for the reason you mentioned. However, the prospect of it reminds me of the Nieuwendyk signing, which wasn't bad for the team. I thought he and Roberts set a good example for some of the younger guys (particularly Weiss), but it could have been better if they had another healthy year or two in them. At this time, I'm not sure if the rest of this team would even benefit from bringing in a guy like that (maybe in a year or two).

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Why do you think its clear we wont be trading for a top 6 center this offseason? With the signing of Higgins and Tallon's endorsement, I would expect Stillman to be moved at some point for help at center. And with Stillman's salary, I'd also expect similar salary coming back.

For example, lets say LA loses out on Kovy which is possible with the Isles offering all that money. They also probably are losing Frolov. So they have a spot open on a wing and money available. A guy like Handzus coming back would make sense from everyone's perspective.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Gudbranson44

he probably wants a chance to win if he is coming back for another year..
i dont see why he would waste the last year of his excellent career on a team that is projected to get a lottery pick...

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Haven't we learned our lesson in retirement projects?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Yes, but this team were not giving 3M+ and pegging him in as a #1 center who'll play 20+ mins per game like our other retirement packages

Old
07-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Why do you think its clear we wont be trading for a top 6 center this offseason? With the signing of Higgins and Tallon's endorsement, I would expect Stillman to be moved at some point for help at center. And with Stillman's salary, I'd also expect similar salary coming back.

For example, lets say LA loses out on Kovy which is possible with the Isles offering all that money. They also probably are losing Frolov. So they have a spot open on a wing and money available. A guy like Handzus coming back would make sense from everyone's perspective.
I just don't see us doing it. Even with Tallon. So many years of fail to fill our needs I just don't have it in me to believe it will be done. I pray it will be done but I don't wanna get my hopes up as we know what then happens.

Old
07-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Apparently not..

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:07 PM
PanthersRule96

He only wants to play for a contender if he continues, thus ending any thought of him coming to FLA.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Haj

I think its better to throw the kids in NHL and see if they can swim. Tallon needs to find out if Repik and Mathias are good enough to stick.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:25 PM
DW3

I'm for it. It's going to be rough season and a little veteran leadership to insulate the kids from the bad would help build them up, same way Van. did when it got Messier.

DW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Why not? He's still got feet, can shoot, can make plays, wins faceoffs and will sign for 1 year around 1M-1.5M$ most likely. He would help out our center load. If nothing else a veteran presence in the lineup we will need, some1 who could give our centers some tips on faceoffs and I think he could still pot 40+ points if he stays healthy. Reportable he's only gotten a call from one team and that's Detroit. Now if know you'll say he'll take Detroit over Florida anyday that might be true but is Detroit offering more than minimum salary or would it be a mistake for us to sign him. Another retirement package? I don't know. Always liked Mike Modano and wouldn't mind seeing him center our 2nd line more than Reinprect

I liked the idea better when it was joe neuwendyk.

Old
07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
FlaPanthers7

Not another bottom 6 forward. I love Modano, but he's done & we haven't had the best of luck with old leadership types. Even Niewy, who was good when healthy, missed a lot of games & had to retire. I say no thanks & let the young guys get the ice time. I'd rather sink or swim with Matthias than Modano as the 3rd line center. We need to find out what Matthias will or won't be.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Hip to be Square

Somebody close this.

Old
07-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻