HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Vande Velde

Old
07-04-2010, 05:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Chris Vande Velde

What are Oiler fans expecting of this kid next season? Does he have any hope at earning a spot? Or will it likely be top 6 minutes in the AHL for him?

What about a ceiling. Where do you think he fits into future plans?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:23 PM
alphahelix

vCash: 500
hes good. if the oilers don't sign another forward and he trains/plays lights out theres always a possibility he could make the team. probably have to be in a checking role... better chance of him being in the AHL, but I suspect he has at least a minor future in the NHL if not a bright one. College guys can be hard to predict sometimes.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
ThePresent83

I think him and Pitlick will be battling for the Oilers 3C spot for a few years... and Lander will join that battle after next season. Out of the 3 of them, we should be able to bring in a great young defensive center by 2012 i would think.

Until then i think he should try and perfect his craft in the AHL, making sure he has the defensive aspects nailed down first and formost... because thats likely what he will be counted on in the NHL

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:31 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
It's a big jump from NCAA to the NHL, so I expect him to start the season in the AHL. He could get a callup if he has a good start, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to make the NHL, especially in a role as important and difficult as 3rd line shutdown/checking center.

Horcoff had a short AHL career after coming out of college, but he was also over 1PPG with the Bulldogs before getting the callup. If VV has as strong a performance in the AHL this year, I could see him getting a callup and staying.

misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:32 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

He may still need some seasoning as he only just left university hockey, but he's the sort of guy that the Oilers need.

If he's lights out, then great. I think he'll probably end up having a strong camp but go to the minors and may get a letter very early on.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:46 PM
theoil

He's 23 years old so we will know one way or another if he is going to have a career in a relatively short period of time. I expect him to get some callup time after Christmas if there are injuries.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Jmask83

He needs more minutes in the AHL. But with him Lander and Pitlick I think our 3rd line position is solid for the future. One of those guys is gotta pan out you would think.

Jmask83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Thanks for all the responses guys. I've been following his progress since last year after reading about him on "Coming Down the Pipe"'s Blog. I'm an Avs fan but man oh man the Oil have a deep prospect group. Lets hope its us two battling for the division in five years and the Canucks plane crashes into the Atlantic.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote