HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

NAHL and USHL Expansion

Old
05-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Alpine

vCash: 500
If you're gonna add the ACHA, you may as well add the 33 CIS teams. But they accept players from the 60 Major Jr teams as well.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
If you're gonna add the ACHA, you may as well add the 33 CIS teams. But they accept players from the 60 Major Jr teams as well.
I added the ACHA DI becuase as the number of JR. A teams grows and NCAA stays fairly steady (if not shrinks slightly over the past few years) there's a growing trend in the ACHA DI teams to recruit JR. A players. I don't know much about the CIS, I thought mostly ex Major Jr. players, but a look through some of the rosters shows a lot less than I thought and much more Jr. A players. In all cases the number of college hockey has been fairly steady but the number of Jr. teams is growing.

58 NCAA DI schools
6 NCAA DII schools (playing in NCAA DIII and NE-10)
71 NCAA DIII schools
33 CIS schools
57 ACHA DI schools
Total: 225

JR A Teams:
133 USA
151 CA
total: 284

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Alpine

Thanks for the numbers.
This provides a good overview of Jr A in North America as well as the College/Uni programmes that Jr A leagues wish to be a stepping stone towards.
It will be interesting to see what unfolds as Jr continues to move into traditional minor pro markets what path many/some graduating Jr players decide.
If my area is any indication (Atlantic Canada) as the AHL was replaced by Jr over the last 15 years the growth of hockey has been on the upswing.
EDIT:
One last question since ACHA has been brought up. As ACHA is not conidered Varsity sport is it possible that Major Jr graduates could attend and play at this level?
Never mind, found the answer.
Players Agreement form. Item 8..............I have never participated in a Tier 1, Major Junior Hockey Programme.
Man US colleges got a hate on for Major Jr

Last edited by Alpine: 05-25-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old
05-25-2010, 07:38 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Thanks for the numbers.
This provides a good overview of Jr A in North America as well as the College/Uni programmes that Jr A leagues wish to be a stepping stone towards.
It will be interesting to see what unfolds as Jr continues to move into traditional minor pro markets what path many/some graduating Jr players decide.
If my area is any indication (Atlantic Canada) as the AHL was replaced by Jr over the last 15 years the growth of hockey has been on the upswing.
EDIT:
One last question since ACHA has been brought up. As ACHA is not conidered Varsity sport is it possible that Major Jr graduates could attend and play at this level?
After reading some of the reports of some of the new NAHL teams, such as the IceRays, the team was losing money with lower attendance (few 1000), travel, player salary, and other expenses. Jr. Hockey erases the salary expenses. Other markets like Flint have pro teams on shaky ground, in the case of Flint, MI and Muskegon Lumberjacks going to the USHL the whole IHL is in trouble.

ACHA rulebook follows most of the NCAA rules, there’s some minor differences but generally they’re very similar- i.e. Major Jr. players are considered to be professional and therefore ineligible.

Old
05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Alpine

The thing to remember about CIS rosters and Major/Jr A is that Major Jr only allows 3 20 year olds so say of those 2 turn pro that leaves 1 that might play CIS. On the other hand there will be 5 or 6 19 year olds and only 3 will continue in Major Jr the other 2 or 3 will finish thier Jr careers in Jr A or turn pro and will be listed by the last team played with by CIS.
Also many Canadian Jr A players attend Uni full-time and join a CIS team as rookies but are already 3rd or 4th year students. Just a few quirks in the CIS.
How many 20 year olds or over agers do the USHL and NAHL allow.
Most Canadian Jr A leagues allow for 5 to 9 and Jr B is unlimited and even allows for 21 year olds if they played Jr B as 20 year olds.

Last edited by Alpine: 05-26-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old
06-18-2010, 07:36 PM
SeaToby

Amarillo finally names it coach, team name and logo. Amarillo is a relocation of the Albert Lea franchise. The Amarillo Bulls.... Amarillo by morning....

SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:32 PM
SeaToby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
After reading some of the reports of some of the new NAHL teams, such as the IceRays, the team was losing money with lower attendance (few 1000), travel, player salary, and other expenses. Jr. Hockey erases the salary expenses.
Both new Texas teams from the CHL drew much more than a 1000 last year...
09-10 Amarillo 1761 Corpus Christi 3104
08-09 Amarillo 2035 Corpus Christi 3095
07-08 Amarillo 2757 Corpus Christi 3763
06-07 Amarillo 2892 Corpus Christi 3712
05-06 Amarillo 3162 Corpus Christi 4130
04-05 Amarillo 3016 Corpus Christi 4147
03-04 Amarillo 3302 Corpus Christi 2990*old arena

While Corpus Christi has had more success making the playoffs, they have never won a playoff series ever. Amarillo used to win playoff series, but lately have not even made the playoffs. The problem with Amarillo is a lack of success, and the problem with Corpus Christi is their high rent at the new arena... Corpus Christi had to have over 4k average attendance to break even, while Amarillo had to have over 3k average attendance to break even... Neither were able to do so during the past four years...

The curse of a minor league team is not to make the playoffs for a few years in a row, or lose to the arch enemy in the first round of the playoffs every year.

I don't know whether the fans will follow junior hockey as much as a lower level pro league, but don't get it into your mind they drew less than a 1000 fans... Frankly, I am upset with the Corpus Christi city council for not finding cheaper lease terms....

Last edited by SeaToby: 06-20-2010 at 05:01 PM.
SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:45 PM
sbkbghockey

http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=1656

Central Division
Aberdeen Wings
Alexandria Blizzard
Austin Bruins
Bismarck Bobcats
Coulee Region Chill
Owatonna Express

North Division
Chicago Hitmen
Janesville Jets
Michigan Warriors
Motor City Metal Jackets
Port Huron Fighting Falcons
St. Louis Bandits
Springfield Jr. Blues
Traverse City North Stars

South Division
Amarillo Bulls
Corpus Christi IceRays
New Mexico Mustangs
Texas Tornado
Topeka RoadRunners
Wichita Falls Wildcats

West Division
Alaska Avalanche
Dawson Creek Rage
Fairbanks Ice Dogs
Fresno Monsters
Kenai River Brown Bears
Wenatchee Wild

Last edited by sbkbghockey: 07-11-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Enough teams in the North? I like this layout in the South.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Alpine

Anybody have a link to USHL/NAHL import rules? Are Canadian players considered imports?
How many 20 year olds are allowed by each league?

Old
07-04-2010, 08:24 PM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Anybody have a link to USHL/NAHL import rules? Are Canadian players considered imports?
Each Nahl team is allowed 2 players foreign players.
Not sure there is a limit as to how many 20 year olds.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:29 PM
J.T

I imagine Port Huron will get a lot of kids from Canada trying out for the team being right next to Sarnia Ont.

J.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:00 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T View Post
I imagine Port Huron will get a lot of kids from Canada trying out for the team being right next to Sarnia Ont.
I can't believe they added another team....I mean some teams have already had there main camps...how is this team suppose to get players???

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:55 AM
dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
Enough teams in the North? I like this layout in the South.
How else would you divide them?

dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:08 AM
mfosterftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I can't believe they added another team....I mean some teams have already had there main camps...how is this team suppose to get players???

The only thing that the Port Huron Meatchickens have going for them that the AWHL Tupelo T-Rex didn't is that it'll be a lot easier to recruit to their market (and a moldy cantaloupe could do a better coaching job than Tupelo's Billy Kidd).

With the amount of new teams in the NAHL this year (plus two more in the USHL further thinning the pool) I am expecting at least 2-3 teams this season to win less than 10 games.

mfosterftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:38 AM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
Quote:
I can't find a link to this, but in the past Canadian teams playing in US leagues had a primarily Canadian lineup; Canadian players were not considered imports.

If you look at the NAHL draft page, you'll see that DC picked all Canadian players, and the buzz that I'm hearing is that Robinson is looking at a lot of junior B/junior A players out of northern BC/Alberta. He has a few local kids, including his first draft choice.

I will be fascinated to see how this rolls out. The last time a BC team had a team in a US league, the Fernie Ghostriders managed to have a lot of on-ice success in the America West Hockey League, but were dismal in their one season in the NAHL. Dawson Creek, on the periphery of BC's oil and gas fields, has a little more economic moxie than did Fernie, which is still in transition from being a forest community to being a resort town.

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Alpine

I was wondering how Dawson Creek would fall under the rules.
Just reverse the rules and allow only 2 non Canadian citizens. Can the team supersede the Hockey Canada Jr A rules of 9 20's and 7 imports (imports in this case meaning outside the branch. Hockey BC)?
In my neck of the woods the Maritime Jr League follows HC rules and allows 7 imports meaning any North American player from outside the 4 Provincial Branches.....there's some from France but are from St-Pierre et Miquelon and are considered North Americans.
So would DC get exemptions from HC Jr A rules?
How will BCHL react if they have to declare any North American player from outside BC an import but Dawson Creek does not?

Last edited by Alpine: 07-05-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old
07-05-2010, 10:28 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt View Post
How else would you divide them?
I mean this could be a good season for the Tornado with so many expansion teams, but then again you never really know from year to year.

Old
07-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Alpine

Found my answer for NAHL..........
3 20 yr olds and 2 imports.
Story on a recruit
http://www.enfieldweeklypress.com/sports.asp?id=2192

Still don't know about the DC team being Canadian based?

Old
07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
Quote:
3 20 yr olds and 2 imports.
Story on a recruit
http://www.enfieldweeklypress.com/sports.asp?id=2192

Still don't know about the DC team being Canadian based?
Spent part (much) of Tuesday looking through Hockey Canada and BC Hockey's policy manuals, but was unable to find anything - they kept referring to teams under Hockey Canada's jurisdiction and I don't believe that's the case with the NAHL.

I do know that when Fernie was part of the league they had a primarily Canadian lineup; Dawson Creek has already signed more than two Canadians, so the assumption is the import rule applies to non-Canadians in this sense.

BTW: who the heck is Bill Mucklat?

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:29 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
3 20 yr olds
I don't think that is accurate as the TC Northstars had 8 89' birth year players. 5 of which were 20 before the season started.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
I don't think that is accurate as the TC Northstars had 8 89' birth year players. 5 of which were 20 before the season started.
It doesn't sound right does it?
Any info that I could find from USA Hockey states any player 20 years old or younger to 16 years old.
But I thought it might be like Hockey Canada's rule of 9 20 year olds (by Dec 31 of the playing season)
Which turns out is the maximum. Any of the 11 Jr A leagues under the CJHL umbrella are free to make a league rule of less but 9 is the maximum. CJHL or Hockey Canada Jr A import rules are set by where the player played Bantam. So any player who played Bantam outside that Province's branch is considered an import. In the case of 16 year olds Hockey Canada has the right to not approve Branch transfers of players and has done so many times if they feel that there's adequate Jr A presence in the players Branch. Even in the Maritimes where there's only 1 Jr A league. Hockey Canada has refused a player from NB playing in NS and vice versa as a 16 yr old. But that maybe more about protecting the Major/Minor Midget AAA leagues.
Or I could be completely wrong..........again

Last edited by Alpine: 07-08-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old
07-09-2010, 07:15 PM
YYCBlueliner

DC Rage

Great to see the interest in Dawson Creek. The Recruiting for the team are following the BC hockey rules, 8 Imports only, understand they have 7 signed and are keeping the 8 th spot open for possible trades from Ajhl. The team is set up with some really good talent from Alberta and BC. The team is playing some exhibition games with AJ and BCHL teams. I know Scott is setting this team up as a true JR A team. Unlike Fernie they were a JR B team and stayed a Jr B team when there joined the NAHL, and are still a Jr B team in the KI. The kids that were drafted have all been recruited by BCHL and AJHL teams and have decided to play for Scott because of his dedication to the NCAA program and to the development of players. They have been recruiting these kids for over 2 years when they were with the BCHL. Should be a very fast and big team.

YYCBlueliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:35 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

Best logo in the league.

Old
07-12-2010, 06:37 AM
mfosterftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post

Best pirated logo in the league.
Fixed. Larry Smith, of Tag Sports Graphics swiped this design from Mike Ivall, who two years ago came up with this concept for the Chicago Blackhawks:

This isn't the first time Tag has stolen designs. This football helmet sticker was stolen from the OJHL Burlington Cougars logo designed by Keith Flynn.

mfosterftw is offline   Reply With Quote