HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer Skate Question

Old
07-04-2010, 10:44 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

vCash: 500
Bauer Skate Question

I currently have the One70 (old model with the translucent holders). I have had them for about a year now and am still up in the air if I like them or not. I have the opportunity to buy a new pair of Vapor XXXX online for $200. They won't be in stock forever and am debating on whether or not I should purchase them.

I'm up in the air because I'm not sure if I feel confident buying skates online (I have always liked to try them on before I purchase them). I feel that with my narrow foot the only skates that will ever work for me are Bauers, so I'm pretty sure that they will fit like the other Bauer skates I have worn over the years.

Also, for someone who used to have the XXXX, how do these skates compare to the newer models that Bauer has put out?

Thanks

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:54 AM
shoeshine boy

have you ever had a pair of Bauer Vapor skates? imo they are a completely different feel than the Supreme line.
I had the opposite situation from you. I've skated on Bauer Vapor 8 for almost 10 years. during a sale I bought a pair of Supreme 70's and never could get used to them. ended up selling them for close to what I paid but still. ended up getting a pair of Vapor XXXX's on massive sale and those feel much better. unless you know that you'll like the feel and pitch of the Vapors or you think you can get most of your money back I'd stick with the Supremes.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:58 AM
weedsnager

i wore the XXXX and the X60's in a wide, between the two, the X60's are a wider skate.

weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:54 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
have you ever had a pair of Bauer Vapor skates? imo they are a completely different feel than the Supreme line.
I had the opposite situation from you. I've skated on Bauer Vapor 8 for almost 10 years. during a sale I bought a pair of Supreme 70's and never could get used to them. ended up selling them for close to what I paid but still. ended up getting a pair of Vapor XXXX's on massive sale and those feel much better. unless you know that you'll like the feel and pitch of the Vapors or you think you can get most of your money back I'd stick with the Supremes.
That's an interesting thought; I didn't think that the two lines would be completely different. In your opinion, what are the major differences between the Vapor and Supreme lines?

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
doobie604

if you can get xxxx in your size i would grab them before they're gone. i believe x60 is similar to xxxx with few added features, so i don't think it's worth the extra money to get the x60 vs xxxx.

here's a review of the one95 vs xxxx
http://hockey.inlinewarehouse.com/showthread.php?t=6260

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Badger36

Definetly go to a skate shop, make sure they fit and then have them baked to fit your feet.
I bought a new pair of skates last week because my Supremes were too narrow for my feet and even in an EE width the Vapors were too narrow for me.
I ended up going in dead set on another pair of Bauers and walked out with a pair of CCMs because the Bauers simply werent wide enough for me.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:31 PM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a komets fan View Post
That's an interesting thought; I didn't think that the two lines would be completely different. In your opinion, what are the major differences between the Vapor and Supreme lines?
well, when I put the Supreme 70's on I just felt like I was more...flat-footed. it seems to me that the pitch on the Vapors (which are supposed to be about agility) is higher. for me, it's what I'm used to. I've never really known anything else. maybe it's easier going from Supreme to Vapor than it is going from Vapor to Supreme.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

From what I was told by my hockey shop, the Vapor line is medium width all the way across and the Supreme line is narrower in the heels and wider towards the toes. If you fit really well in one, you probably won't fit in the other.

I skated in Vapors for four years before I finally got properly fitted, and they said I should have been in a Supreme skate. I couldn't turn properly because my foot rolled around inside the boot.

So if you try them on and they fit perfect, go for them, but they're not just a drop in replacement for your skates.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote