HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you interested in Zherdev?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs chase UFA Nikolai Zherdev?
Yes 32 44.44%
No 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Well since all 3 are head cases, I would take Zherdev simply because he is the head case with the most talent out of the 3.
How's Andrei Kostitsyn, or Pouliot a head case ?

Oh right, skilled players who struggle = headcase.

Depending on how much he wants, I'd take him. Play him with Gomer and Gio and put pools on the 3rd with maybe Eller and Boyd ? Hopefully their high skill/ lack of results doesn't get to Eller.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Kriss E

Not interested unless he agrees to 2M.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Lucius

Zherdev Heading To NHL Again, Interested?

TSN is reporting that Zherdev is heading back to the NHL. He's a UFA and wants a multi-year deal in the 4 million per season range.

He's a consistent 50 to 60 point guy just entering his prime. I know he's also a bit of a head case, but the fact that he's seeking a multi-year deal says he's serious about the NHL.

What do you all think? I still see a big glaring hole in our top six on the wing and Zherdev is just a touch more realistic than the other marquee Russian winger on the market. At 4 million, he'd actually be one of the cheapest guy in our top six and give us the flexibility to have Kostitsyn and Pouliot battle it out for that last spot, rather than handing both the job and being forced to use guys like Moen.

He could do some nasty things alongside Plekanec and Cammelleri.

To do it, we'd need to either get Price for 2 million or less, or move someone out, but it wouldn't be extreme, especially if we can get Zherdev's cap hit down around 3.5. Someone like Ryan O'Byrne, who has a pretty hefty cap hit, would clear the space.

So, interested or not?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

All depends how much money he wants.Last 2 seasons in the NHL he did play all 82 games and averaged 60pts.Since he is a UFA I would shoot something like 2.5/3 million and see what he could do

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
All depends how much money he wants.Last 2 seasons in the NHL he did play all 82 games and averaged 60pts.Since he is a UFA I would shoot something like 2.5/3 million and see what he could do
Well the report is saying 4 million per year on a multi-year deal, so we have our answer.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well the report is saying 4 million per year on a multi-year deal, so we have our answer.
well then I would pass and give that money to Frolov for example

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
That's what he want, that doesn't mean that's what he'll get. It's part of the negotiation tactics.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
well then I would pass and give that money to Frolov for example
They have similar stats over the last couple years... They're about the same size... They're both wingers... They've both got reported attitude issues... And Zherdev is a couple years younger, I'd argue with a higher ceiling.

I'd also expect Frolov to go in the 5 million range. Assuming 4 is Zherdev's asking price and 5 is Frolov's, I imagine Frolov eventually signs for 4 to 5, and Zherdev 3 to 4.

For a million less, I'd take the younger player with the higher ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post
That's what he want, that doesn't mean that's what he'll get. It's part of the negotiation tactics.

Of course, but it shows his starting point, which as I was saying above is likely a bit lower than Frolov.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
ScopeHockey

We proved in the Philly series that when we're not able to score goals from peripheral areas, we have trouble scoring goals at all. Zherdev will not help improve this, if anything, he'll make us softer.

We have enough "skill" in our top 6; what we're missing is truculence.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:11 AM
llamateizer

Yes if its 2/2.5
No > 2.5

You selected No

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
They have similar stats over the last couple years... They're about the same size... They're both wingers... They've both got reported attitude issues... And Zherdev is a couple years younger, I'd argue with a higher ceiling.

I'd also expect Frolov to go in the 5 million range. Assuming 4 is Zherdev's asking price and 5 is Frolov's, I imagine Frolov eventually signs for 4 to 5, and Zherdev 3 to 4.

For a million less, I'd take the younger player with the higher ceiling.

Of course, but it shows his starting point, which as I was saying above is likely a bit lower than Frolov.
Frolov is known to be defensively reliable, would have instant chemistry with Cammy and one of the hardest guys in the NHL to knock off the puck (this is especially lacking in our current top 6). IMO after Cammy was traded Frolov was misused by LA, usually expected to produce in a third line, defensive role. Obviously after a few years of that you'd expect a player of his caliber to get increasingly annoyed and lose motivation.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
We proved in the Philly series that when we're not able to score goals from peripheral areas, we have trouble scoring goals at all. Zherdev will not help improve this, if anything, he'll make us softer.

This. We have more truculence in Kostitsyn than either of Frolov or Zherdev. I'd rather give him ANOTHER shot than spend more money on skilled players.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:

Not really. We only have one true first liner IMO. We have too many question marks in our current top 6 and lack the offensive depth to make up for it.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Lucius

Brian Burke uses a five dollar word and suddenly half the forum is obsessed with adding it to the Top 6.

Would I love a huge power forward up there? Sure. No NHL team would say no.

But the fact is that none are really available. Just wanting a power forward doesn't fill a need in our top six.

Zherdev and Frolov are both assets who could help fill that hole. If the question were Frolov, Zherdev or Cam Neely, sure, I'd agree with this whole "truculence" nonsense, but that isn't possible.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:28 AM
RE-HABS

If Montreal were willing to pay the $4 million per asking price I'm sure Frolov would be the better option, and why not try to make a trade for Bobby Ryan then too...he wants 5.5 per so pay that, at least he is younger and only going to get better.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Add those guys to your poll I guess....

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=795429

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Not really. We only have one true first liner IMO. We have too many question marks in our current top 6 and lack the offensive depth to make up for it.
Plekanec, Cammalleri, Gionta and Gomez are legitimate top 6 forwards. Kostitsyn and Pouliot have legitimate top 6 skill. Replace those 2 with guys with less skill but more truculence, say David Backes and Ryan Malone, and nobody complains about our top 6. I'm not saying we need to acquire those guys, my argument is that truculence will marginally contribute much more to our top 6 than skill, therefore substracting one ouf Pouliot or Kostitsyn in favor of a less truculent and more skilled Zherdev is not optimal.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Stradale

I would risk it.

3M$ per year. That's not expensive for a talented player that could really score 50-60 pts.

Did he played on the same line than Gomez back in 08-09?

But I don't see Montreal looking for players like him.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Plekanec, Cammalleri, Gionta and Gomez are legitimate top 6 forwards. Kostitsyn and Pouliot have legitimate top 6 skill. Replace those 2 with guys with less skill but more truculence, say David Backes and Ryan Malone, and nobody complains about our top 6. I'm not saying we need to acquire those guys, my argument is that truculence will marginally contribute much more to our top 6 than skill, therefore substracting one ouf Pouliot or Kostitsyn in favor of a less truculent and more skilled Zherdev is not optimal.
You have just surpassed Brian Burke for #1 on the list of lifetime uses of the word Truculence.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:35 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Brian Burke uses a five dollar word and suddenly half the forum is obsessed with adding it to the Top 6.

Would I love a huge power forward up there? Sure. No NHL team would say no.

But the fact is that none are really available. Just wanting a power forward doesn't fill a need in our top six.

Zherdev and Frolov are both assets who could help fill that hole. If the question were Frolov, Zherdev or Cam Neely, sure, I'd agree with this whole "truculence" nonsense, but that isn't possible.
Truculence, mean, sandpaper, grit, they're all similar terms. Choose whichever one you'd like, but Chicago and Philly sure had a lot of it....

Old
07-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I would risk it.

3M$ per year. That's not expensive for a talented player that could really score 50-60 pts.

Did he played on the same line than Gomez back in 08-09?
I think he played all over the place, especially in the last 20 games + playoffs.

Tortorella and Zherdev is not exactly a match made in heaven.

Quote:
Truculence, mean, sandpaper, grit, they're all similar terms. Choose whichever one you'd like, but Chicago and Philly sure had a lot of it....
Sure, and no one says that's bad.

But instead of just yelling the word, how about making a constructive suggestion. Name me one player who has the talent to play in our top six who is available and meets your criteria?

Grit is good, but not at the expense of talent.

I'd rather have 6 Zherdev's than 6 Moen's playing on the top two lines.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
How's Andrei Kostitsyn, or Pouliot a head case ?

Oh right, skilled players who struggle = headcase.

Depending on how much he wants, I'd take him. Play him with Gomer and Gio and put pools on the 3rd with maybe Eller and Boyd ? Hopefully their high skill/ lack of results doesn't get to Eller.
Where have you been? AK has, for some reason, became a cancer, a lazy, soft euro, that every of his teammates hate. Well at least on this board.

When Pouliot doesn't produce, he is in a slump.
When Andrei doesn't produce, he is a cancer and doesn't care.

That's reality right there. Because Sergei is a punk, his brother is too.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I don't want Zherdev, I agree, he doesn't fit.

The only way to make up for a lack of 1st line talent is with depth. We shouldn't be trying to replace anyone in our current top 6 with a better forward, just push them down the depth chart. Last year our third line was pretty useless until we acquired Moore and we saw in the POs how offensive contribution from the third line can make all the difference in a close series. IMO we'd be much better off with Pouliot, Eller and Lapierre/Moen as the third line while stabilizing our top 6 with a more proven forward.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
PinchedNerve

you can't have truculence without belligerence...

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:48 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Sure, and no one says that's bad.

But instead of just yelling the word, how about making a constructive suggestion. Name me one player who has the talent to play in our top six who is available and meets your criteria?

Grit is good, but not at the expense of talent.

I'd rather have 6 Zherdev's than 6 Moen's playing on the top two lines.
I did make a constructive suggestion: DON'T SIGN ZHERDEV.