HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Are you interested in Zherdev?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs chase UFA Nikolai Zherdev?
Yes 32 44.44%
No 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2010, 11:49 AM
TankEller*

vCash: 500
Would take him before A. Kostitsyn. Might be just as frustrating, but he proved more in his time in the NHL than our own headcase did.

Ideal option: neither, and take a flyer on Langenbrunner if he's on the trade market, or go get Frolov after getting rid of Andrei.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I did make a constructive suggestion: DON'T SIGN ZHERDEV.
Fair enough, but your reason was not that he wouldn't help, but that you'd rather have some player with truculence.

My point is, since no such player appears to exist, what's the harm in getting someone whose available?

My theory is that it's better to have a rounded out roster of assets than just sit around and sign no one, hoping that some day that perfect power forward becomes available.

If we signed Zherdev or Frolov, we would have the depth to trade someone from the top six who is more skilled for someone with more "truculence" whenever said person becomes available.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:07 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Fair enough, but your reason was not that he wouldn't help, but that you'd rather have some player with truculence.

My point is, since no such player appears to exist, what's the harm in getting someone whose available?

My theory is that it's better to have a rounded out roster of assets than just sit around and sign no one, hoping that some day that perfect power forward becomes available.

If we signed Zherdev or Frolov, we would have the depth to trade someone from the top six who is more skilled for someone with more "truculence" whenever said person becomes available.
That wasn't really my point. My point was that adding Zherdev would add skill, but subtract grit, because both Kostitsyn and Pouliot have more grit than him. Adding skill at the expense of grit is not something we want to do.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Lucius

Quote:
That wasn't really my point. My point was that adding Zherdev would add skill, but subtract grit, because both Kostitsyn and Pouliot have more grit than him. Adding skill at the expense of grit is not something we want to do.
Fair enough, although I wasn't suggesting trading one of them for him. We need depth and right now, both those guys being in our top six is an issue given we have no obvious person who can step in one one of our top six is hurt.

And I'd argue, neither of them is exactly gritty either. Both have a tendency to level someone once every 15 games, but other than that, are not much different than Zherdev.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
If he came dirt cheap, I would, but he won't so I don't.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:18 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Fair enough, although I wasn't suggesting trading one of them for him. We need depth and right now, both those guys being in our top six is an issue given we have no obvious person who can step in one one of our top six is hurt.

And I'd argue, neither of them is exactly gritty either. Both have a tendency to level someone once every 15 games, but other than that, are not much different than Zherdev.
I agree on Kostitsyn and Pouliot's grit being inconsistent. That being said, I see Zherdev being in the Yashin/Zherdev/Kovalev category, which is pretty much the highest level of nonchalance one can achieve.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Lucius

Quote:
I agree on Kostitsyn and Pouliot's grit being inconsistent. That being said, I see Zherdev being in the Yashin/Zherdev/Kovalev category, which is pretty much the highest level of nonchalance one can achieve.
True, but he isn't displacing it either. If he came in, it's not like we'd have to drop Dustin Brown out of our top six. Pouliot and Kostitsyn would be forced to bring that into their game in order to retain that last spot in the top six. As it is now, they can float around and we have no one to push them into those tough areas.

And I'd rather see 60 points from a floater than 40 points from a floater with the odd mean streak.

He isn't ideal, but I think he should be considered for the right price.

That way if LA were to deal, for example, Dustin Brown... We can afford to send them two good forwards for him without having a gaping hole open in the line up.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Drive425

Quote:
True, but he isn't displacing it either. If he came in, it's not like we'd have to drop Dustin Brown out of our top six. Pouliot and Kostitsyn would be forced to bring that into their game in order to retain that last spot in the top six. As it is now, they can float around and we have no one to push them into those tough areas.

And I'd rather see 60 points from a floater than 40 points from a floater with the odd mean streak.

He isn't ideal, but I think he should be considered for the right price.

That way if LA were to deal, for example, Dustin Brown... We can afford to send them two good forwards for him without having a gaping hole open in the line up.
While I respect what Zherdev can bring on the ice in terms of skill and finesse I believe he will subtract from the locker room atmosphere. This guy has made it well known that if he doesn't get his way he will jump over to Russia. I don't believe he has the right attitude when it comes to sacrifice and heart.

For me I don't believe he would gel with guys like Cammy/Gio/Gomer who are the face of the team. Gotta say no.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:16 PM
jamz

I'd take him at 3.5 and trade A.Kost

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
While I respect what Zherdev can bring on the ice in terms of skill and finesse I believe he will subtract from the locker room atmosphere. This guy has made it well known that if he doesn't get his way he will jump over to Russia. I don't believe he has the right attitude when it comes to sacrifice and heart.

For me I don't believe he would gel with guys like Cammy/Gio/Gomer who are the face of the team. Gotta say no.
Has he?

Zherdev was awarded an arbitration award by the NHL. The Rangers chose to walk away from that award. He became an unrestricted free agent. He signed in the KHL.

Other than the fact that his choice of team was in Russia, that's absolutely no different than what Cammelleri and Hal Gill did last year when they signed with us. They were free agents, they chose their team, and they played the season for that team.

Zherdev isn't Filatov or Radulov. He had no contract.

Plus, Gauthier has the advantage of having Gomez on his team. If character is a concern, there is a guy under contract who can tell Gauthier first hand what kind of guy Zherdev is.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Habs514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
No

No more enigmatic , inconstant and moody Russians please. The guy is talented but just another headcase and we don't need this.

Same reason why i don't want Frolov and why i want to get rid of AK46. Enough of these slackers already.
No more headcases please. He just got rid of one.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:33 PM
TheBuriedHab

Stay far away. I got to see him alot with the rangers and hes was awful. We don't need him.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Has he?

Zherdev was awarded an arbitration award by the NHL. The Rangers chose to walk away from that award. He became an unrestricted free agent. He signed in the KHL.

Other than the fact that his choice of team was in Russia, that's absolutely no different than what Cammelleri and Hal Gill did last year when they signed with us. They were free agents, they chose their team, and they played the season for that team.

Zherdev isn't Filatov or Radulov. He had no contract.

Plus, Gauthier has the advantage of having Gomez on his team. If character is a concern, there is a guy under contract who can tell Gauthier first hand what kind of guy Zherdev is.
Maybe you forgot...

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...6-9ba5de900fa5

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

I hope we wont try anything to bring him to MTL. He's a useless player with no conviction.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Hugo Sham

another soft enigmatic Russian floater?
why of course!

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:59 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
If he came dirt cheap, I would, but he won't so I don't.
Sums up how I feel about it too.

He is a slightly more talented version of Andrei Kostitsyn, with less grit and would command a larger salary (if he gets the apparent 4M he is seeking). I would much rather at Frolov at 4-4.5M then Zherdev. Just as talented, grittier, plays a two-way game, has pre-existing chemistry with Cammalleri.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:05 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
I'd take him at 3.5 and trade A.Kost
Except no one wants Andrei, at least not his contract. Besides, from other teams' perspective, why trade for Kostitsyn why you can sign Zherdev.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Except no one wants Andrei, at least not his contract. Besides, from other teams' perspective, why trade for Kostitsyn why you can sign Zherdev.
3.5m for a 25+ goal scorer is not bad at all. Not to mention he's our most physical forward not named Moen/Lapierre. 50+ hits more than anyone else in our top 6 despite playing only 59 games (compared to 82 for pleky with 51 hits). Andrei can throw punishing hits... On the right team (Philly, Detroit, San Jose) he'd be a very effective player.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Absolutely not.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Again, he was a free agent.

I get the angst when guys bolt contracts, but when they're free agents (RFA, and especially UFA), they have every right to negotiate and sign with the KHL.

Old
07-05-2010, 09:56 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov` View Post
He played on the same team as Jan Bulis and got ouscored by him.

No thanks.
At one point, Bulis was great and did everything but scoring....aside from that 4 goal game, everything was there but no production. He was snake bitten big time. Maybe in the KHL, he found his touch.
As for Zherdev, top end talent that never caugh fire.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Slick Nick

Fun to see how people automatically reject a right handed 25g/55pts 6'2'' 25 years old forward based on the sole fact that he's Russian (Ukrainian).

I'm not the biggest fan of his but if he's relatively cheap he'd be a far better asset than Pouliot and AK.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote