HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Jody Shelley (3 years/$1.1M per)

Old
07-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
I still wonder what's worst between Auld in Montreal and Shelley in Philly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I still don't understand some people's version of what happened between gaborick and Carcillo... he went after Carcillo and paid the price, lol. He is a grown man, not a child.

But the lack of rangers sticking up for him was also a problem.
The things is unless you're called Mike Richards, most of the superstar can't fight, it's not their job, but it doesn't mean you can't defense yourself, but anyway, we know what's happen when goal scorer want to fight LOL

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
I still don't understand some people's version of what happened between gaborick and Carcillo... he went after Carcillo and paid the price, lol. He is a grown man, not a child.

Gaborik "go after" Carcillo, Carcillo pulled him out and for some reason Gaborik dropped his gloves.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:44 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Gaborik "go after" Carcillo, Carcillo pulled him out and for some reason Gaborik dropped his gloves.
Other than the NY media backlash etc., I'll take Gaborik off the ice for 5 minutes any game, though. Carcillo never reaches the Avery level of goading, but he did his job there.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:

I totally agree. You'd think that at least one ranger would have taken a 3rd man in penalty or something.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:57 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I totally agree. You'd think that at least one ranger would have taken a 3rd man in penalty or something.
It was after that they traded for Shelley and Brandon Prust, so they knew no one would.

It was a close game, so they didn't want to be taking extra penalties.

Last edited by GKJ: 07-04-2010 at 11:04 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:01 AM
ugiswrong

The 13th forward should be earning about, what, 700K? Ours earns 400K more than that.

Judging by what the other goalies signed for so far, Leighton should have gotten about 1.1 million. He's pulling in 400K more as well.

That's 800,000 dollars of cap pissed away.

I think that that duly deserves criticism, but not our HF-style lynch mob. Certainly Randy Jones' mismanagement was worse than these two mistakes.

Are Shelley's fights worth 400,000 dollars of intangibles? Say, 2,000 Shelley jerseys being sold to fans who love fighting? Is that 400K worth having his personality in that locker room? The enforcer position indeed seems stupid from afar but we're not the ones going out there and skating against other armed people sometimes trying to hurt you intentionally.

And the 400K to Leighton...is that extra 400K a signal to not just Michael Leighton, but to the rest of the team, that the Flyers are a fraternal type of organization who will take care of their own? Could that be? I'm not claiming to know the answer, but I will say that the mood of a franchise, and of a locker room, goes a hell of a long way in deciding the fate of a team, and whether a fanbase will show up and shell out.

In terms of perspective of GM blunders, this in no way is close IMO to the Flyers going with the Beezer instead of CuJo or Richter, or not trading Lindros to the Leafs for Kaberle, or failing to acquire Ray Bourque, or even letting Recchi go after the lockout. They were all indeed in a non-capped universe though.

Last edited by ugiswrong: 07-04-2010 at 11:10 AM.
ugiswrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
The 13th forward should be earning about, what, 700K? Ours earns 400K more than that.

Judging by what the other goalies signed for so far, Leighton should have gotten about 1.1 million. He's pulling in 400K more as well.

I think that that duly deserves criticism, but not our HF-style lynch mob. Certainly Randy Jones' mismanagement was worse than these two mistakes.

Are Shelley's fights worth 400,000 dollars of intangibles? Say, 2,000 Shelley jerseys being sold to fans who love fighting? Is that 400K worth having his personality in that locker room? The enforcer position indeed seems stupid from afar but we're not the ones going out there and skating against other armed people sometimes trying to hurt you intentionally.

And the 400K to Leighton...is that extra 400K a signal to not just Michael Leighton, but to the rest of the team, that the Flyers are a fraternal type of organization who will take care of their own? Could that be? I'm not claiming to know the answer, but I will say that the mood of a franchise, and of a locker room, goes a hell of a long way in deciding the fate of a team, and whether a fanbase will show up and shell out.

In terms of perspective of GM blunders, this in no way is close IMO to the Flyers going with the Beezer instead of CuJo or Richter, or not trading Lindros to the Leafs for Kaberle, or failing to acquire Ray Bourque, or even letting Recchi go after the lockout. They were all indeed in a non-capped universe though.
Shelley isn't the 13th forward.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It was after that they traded for Shelley and Brandon Prust, so they knew no one would.

It was a close game, so they didn't want to be taking extra penalties.
And the way the season turned out, Carcillo kicking Gaborik's ass may have been the reason we made the playoffs and they didn't.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
If this goes as horribly wrong as many expect, at least the buyout wouldn't kill us:

TEXT CAP HIT BREAKDOWN (for copying and pasting)

JODY SHELLEY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $250,000
2012-2013: $550,000
2013-2014: $350,000
2014-2015: $350,000

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
If this goes as horribly wrong as many expect, at least the buyout wouldn't kill us:

TEXT CAP HIT BREAKDOWN (for copying and pasting)

JODY SHELLEY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $250,000
2012-2013: $550,000
2013-2014: $350,000
2014-2015: $350,000
Doubt they'd buy him out, they'd probably just send him to the phantoms and avoid wasting cap space

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Shelley isn't the 13th forward.
you would be correct.
hes the 8th or 9th forward. Just ask Holmgren, he will tell you.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
you would be correct.
hes the 8th or 9th forward. Just ask Holmgren, he will tell you.
That's what Baicker thinks that Homer is thinking.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Doubt they'd buy him out, they'd probably just send him to the phantoms and avoid wasting cap space
Yeah, you don't buyout players that cheap. You hide them in the AHL.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Yeah, you don't buyout players that cheap. You hide them in the AHL.
Holmgren wouldnt send Cote to the AHL. he isnt sending Shelley there

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Oh, I meant competent GMs would do that. Sorry.

Old
07-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
I'm sure he's sending Cote there, unless he manages to clear enough room to keep the weight room spotter around.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:35 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

So Homer hasn't come out with a huge just kidding yet?

07-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
That's what Baicker thinks that Homer is thinking.
Maybe, at the ripe age of 34, he'll have a breakout season offensively. I mean, he definitely has that kind of potential, other teams just haven't properly utilized his obvious scoring talents.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:51 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
So Homer hasn't come out with a huge just kidding yet?
I don't think there's any better place to use this...

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:06 PM
hextall shoots

Quote:
And the way the season turned out, Carcillo kicking Gaborik's ass may have been the reason we made the playoffs and they didn't.
The reason we made the playoffs was from a boucher save.

hextall shoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post

I think you're exactly right about Shelley and Leighton's contracts and I can't say I entirely disagree with either of them. Shelley didn't fight anybody in those last couple games of the season but he sure did play well. I think Holmgren was very impressed with those two games. Having a guy like him who will go out and try to bury every guy he checks is a great thing to have on your 4th line in the playoffs.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I think you're exactly right about Shelley and Leighton's contracts and I can't say I entirely disagree with either of them. Shelley didn't fight anybody in those last couple games of the season but he sure did play well. I think Holmgren was very impressed with those two games. Having a guy like him who will go out and try to bury every guy he checks is a great thing to have on your 4th line in the playoffs.
That's the ****ing problem. Did Homer watch any of Shelley's other 50+ games during the season, or tape of his career thus far? If he made his judgments about Shelley and the decision to sign him based solely on those two games, it's even more of an indictment against Homer as a GM. You sign a player based on his body of work, not a minute sample size.

I actually don't have a problem with signing Jody Shelley. Is he a player I think we need? Not at all. But he isn't a player I would be opposed to having on the roster at a reasonable price. What I have a problem with is signing him for $1.1M per season over the next 3 years when there's no way in hell he's worth more than $700k, at the absolute maximum, and, at age 34, shouldn't be on anything more than a 1-year deal. Not to mention that the Flyers, as a team that spends to the cap, need every inch of financial wiggle room they can get. As such, dedicating 1.1M of your cap space to Jody Shelley is not the most prudent, responsible move. If the Rangers offered him more and he stayed there, so be it. I'll take my chances with Jody ****ing Shelley not single-handedly keeping us from making the playoffs next season.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:02 PM
duffy9748

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...jody-shelley-a

He's not such a bad guy

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I am sure he is a decent guy and he will take a lot of **** that he doesn't deserve but his contract is still inexplicable. The writer of that article is a ****ing moron and is rightly called out in the comments section. Lappy is worth every damn cent because he is one of the best PKers in the league. Shelley does not and has not PK'd. Shelley plays 5 minutes a night, when he isn't a healthy scratch.