HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalchuk re-signs with New Jersey

Old
07-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Drive425

vCash: 500
That will mean they have almost 49 million commited to 11 players next year with 7 UFA's and 1 RFA to sign. That will also put them about 5.5 million over the cap this year. Yikes, some fireworks in for the Devils this off season.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Gong
According to a report, it appears that Ilya Kovalchuk is on the verge of re-signing with the New Jersey Devils. The New York Post is reporting that the unrestricted free agent, who played the final 27 games of last season with the Devils, is going to sign a seven-year, $60 million contract with the team as soon as Monday

Like to know where the cap space is coming from
Brodeur traded e5

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:04 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
they have no cap space, also they have to resign Parise next year.
then next year we do

-AK -Hammer
+Parise

then people will stop complaining that we drafted AK before Parise.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
That will mean they have almost 49 million commited to 11 players next year with 7 UFA's and 1 RFA to sign. That will also put them about 5.5 million over the cap this year. Yikes, some fireworks in for the Devils this off season.
When the Devils made the trade, my initial thought was, well, they'll have to trade Elias if they ever want to keep Kovalchuk.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Bieber fever

ilya

He didn't accept the 100 M$ / 10 years deal with the NYI because we want to win and now he might sign with the devils ? wtf ? Devils are the new Atlanta.........

Bordeur is 38 y/o , they traded Bergfor & Oduya , they lost Martin ( but added Volchenkov) and have a very weak pool prospect....

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my ears

Rumors are saying Rolston is on his way out or Zubrus. Im still very surprised they can fit him.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
Rumors are saying Rolston is on his way out or Zubrus. Im still very surprised they can fit him.
It would be appreciated to see links associated with those "rumours".

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
It was on Twitter. Besides it would make sense, Zubrus as 3.4M and Rolston at 5.0M

Old
07-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Pascal

re-signs

it is spelled RE-signs, people

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
well don't know about rumors but they make sense since they make way too much money and the Devils don't really need either.I will wait until it's official

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Wouldn't we need to trade AK too?

Yes, it was a dream.
I didn't have Capgeek.com open in my dream

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

I dont think someone will take Rolston neither Zubrus (still 3 more years at 3,4). Players that could interest other teams are : Elias, Langenbrunner, White. That's my opinion.

I think langenbrunner would be good with us vs a 3-4th pick and he has only 1 yr remaining on his contract at 2,8..not bad.

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:14 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
ilya

He didn't accept the 100 M$ / 10 years deal with the NYI because we want to win and now he might sign with the devils ? wtf ? Devils are the new Atlanta.........

Bordeur is 38 y/o , they traded Bergfor & Oduya , they lost Martin ( but added Volchenkov) and have a very weak pool prospect....
The Devils are always a good team and everyone thinks they will be out of the playoffs but time and time again they show they are one of the best in the East.

Any team with Parise, Zajac, Elias, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Zubrus, Clarkson and Zharkov is going to be good. Now add Kovalchuk and watch out.

Yes they lost Martin, but they gained Volchenkov AND Tallinder, two very good defencemen. Since Niedermayer left and Stevens retired their defence has always been suspect yet they always deliver.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my ears

Quote:
I dont think someone will take Rolston neither Zubrus (still 3 more years at 3,4). Players that could interest other teams are : Elias, Langenbrunner, White. That's my opinion.

I think langenbrunner would be good with us vs a 3-4th pick and he has only 1 yr remaining on his contract at 2,8..not bad.
Interesting although I doubt the Devils trade their Captain to make room for Kovalchuk.

Old
07-05-2010, 04:53 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The Devils are always a good team and everyone thinks they will be out of the playoffs but time and time again they show they are one of the best in the East.

Any team with Parise, Zajac, Elias, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Zubrus, Clarkson and Zharkov is going to be good. Now add Kovalchuk and watch out.

Yes they lost Martin, but they gained Volchenkov AND Tallinder, two very good defencemen. Since Niedermayer left and Stevens retired their defence has always been suspect yet they always deliver.
They will have to re-sign Parise after this season as well, he atleast doubles his current cap hit (3.125M) going forward. Andy Greene on defense should get a significant raise as well. But they have some guys like Rolston and Arnott coming off the books, as well.

Adding Kovalchuk to the team for 7 years is a risk, but IMO it's a great fit for them going forward. He easily fills the void that will be left from Elias as he declines and eventually retires. A 1-2 punch of Parise-Kovalchuk is perhaps only behind Crosby-Malkin and Ovechkin-Backstrom.

I do have questions to how well Kovalchuk fits into a "team" game. He excelled in Atlanta because he was the king pin, he is arguably only the 2nd best player on the Devils (Personally, I'd take Parise over Kovy any day of the week based on overall play).. But NJ has a team-first mentality. Atlanta actually improved a little after Kovy was gone, and NJ really didn't fare all that great in the playoffs.

I don't know if we we're involved in the sweepstakes at all, or if Kovy had interest in coming here but at that term/dollar amount I would have found a way to fit him somehow. In another sense though, I'm glad he doesn't play for us. Just have incredibly mixed feelings about him.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
They will have to re-sign Parise after this season as well, he atleast doubles his current cap hit (3.125M) going forward. Andy Greene on defense should get a significant raise as well. But they have some guys like Rolston and Arnott coming off the books, as well.

Adding Kovalchuk to the team for 7 years is a risk, but IMO it's a great fit for them going forward. He easily fills the void that will be left from Elias as he declines and eventually retires. A 1-2 punch of Parise-Kovalchuk is perhaps only behind Crosby-Malkin and Ovechkin-Backstrom.

I do have questions to how well Kovalchuk fits into a "team" game. He excelled in Atlanta because he was the king pin, he is arguably only the 2nd best player on the Devils (Personally, I'd take Parise over Kovy any day of the week based on overall play).. But NJ has a team-first mentality. Atlanta actually improved a little after Kovy was gone, and NJ really didn't fare all that great in the playoffs.

I don't know if we we're involved in the sweepstakes at all, or if Kovy had interest in coming here but at that term/dollar amount I would have found a way to fit him somehow. In another sense though, I'm glad he doesn't play for us. Just have incredibly mixed feelings about him.
One reason the Devils didn't fare well is that Parise and Langenbrunner were no-shows. That's your captain and the new face of the franchise not showing up.

Atlanta didn't improve, as their pace went from 6th, 7th or 8th in the East at the trade deadline (I forget which it is) to out of the playoffs and 10th at the end of the season. They showed improvement for a short stint before imploding down the stretch. You can easily get a boost as players find themselves in a situation where there isn't one guy to turn to, but replacing Kovalchuk's scoring and how he kept defenses honest isn't easy and they finally couldn't replace it by their team game. They lacked too much talent without Kovalchuk on their roster to get it done on a long stretch.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Use a big black marker to add "IN THE REGULAR SEASON", because in the playoffs, they haven't delivered at all, with all those players included (except for Volch and Tallinder).

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:29 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
One reason the Devils didn't fare well is that Parise and Langenbrunner were no-shows. That's your captain and the new face of the franchise not showing up.

Atlanta didn't improve, as their pace went from 6th, 7th or 8th in the East at the trade deadline (I forget which it is) to out of the playoffs and 10th at the end of the season. They showed improvement for a short stint before imploding down the stretch. You can easily get a boost as players find themselves in a situation where there isn't one guy to turn to, but replacing Kovalchuk's scoring and how he kept defenses honest isn't easy and they finally couldn't replace it by their team game. They lacked too much talent without Kovalchuk on their roster to get it done on a long stretch.
It happens from time to time that people don't show up.. Kind of like Kovalchuk in 2007 when the Thrashers got swept and he only had 1 goal.

Kovalchuk's GPG and PPG totals went down when he went to NJ. Why? Because he didn't have a free-pass to do whatever he pleased anymore.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
Someone tell me this doesnt stink of the Sundin debacle.

This doesn't stink of the Sundin debacle. Seriously...not at all..

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:25 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Shouldn't the subject be just "signs"? He never signed, resigned or re-signed to begin with as he was traded to NJD. lol

Or something like that. lol

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:27 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

The average age of NJ is 30.8 years.

They are getting pretty old.

If I was Kovy I go elsewhere.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Bieber fever

Atlanta > New jersey

I think they are very close , but the futur is better for the thrashers....

Kane
Byfuglien
Bergfors
Ladd
Little
Bogosian
Burmistrov

if only they can find a way to get a number one center until Burmistrov is ready...

Bergfors-Antropov-kovalchuk
Kane-Little-Byfuglien
Ladd-Peverly-MacArthur
Eager-White-Thorburn

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:52 PM
xposbrad

Kovalchuk will sell 8m in jerseys alone every year, plus all the other stuff he brings to a team. You find a way to fit him if his cap hit is 8.5m. His cap hit will be what, slightly more than 1m more than Gomez, yet score 30+ more goals? He's a game changer.

Unfortunately our 'star' is Gomez, and it would be silly to have 2, 7m+ guys with the cap.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
Kovalchuk will sell 8m in jerseys alone every year, plus all the other stuff he brings to a team. You find a way to fit him if his cap hit is 8.5m. His cap hit will be what, slightly more than 1m more than Gomez, yet score 30+ more goals? He's a game changer.

Unfortunately our 'star' is Gomez, and it would be silly to have 2, 7m+ guys with the cap.
Comparing Gomez to Kovalchuk based on goals only is incredibly short sighted. I'm not saying Kovalchuk is not a better "bang for the buck" but Gomez is a guy that will help theother 4 players on the ice with him to score, while Kovalchuk mostly does it himself and the benefit to linemates, or the other 4 playerson the ice, is quite minimal.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote