HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Leighton Re-signed 2 years/3.1M ($1.55 mill cap hit)

Old
07-05-2010, 05:38 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I enjoy how the Leighton supporters have just completely ignored that point, the guy played 3 regular season games against top-10 offenses and played more than 3/4 of his games against bottom-15 offenses.

I guess if you can't rebut the point, just ignore it, but I mean, that's pretty damning evidence right there.
I am not ignoring! Show us his game logs in the regular season! Show us his playoff game logs! I have posted his entire career many times showing how he has been looked over, but has been good everywhere! Just like when people were talking about ripping the c from richards jersey I am 100% with homer on leighton! He will be a .920 guy on this team. If u r all right, then we are screwed. I tend to think life as a flyer fan is pretty good. But then I was trashed last year for liking the team we had. Even when we made the cup finals it was a stance to be ridiculed....,

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
uvegotafrendinpa

Bump- So josh Harding just resigned in minny for 1.2 for one year...wow...

This is not helping homer's rationale...

uvegotafrendinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvegotafrendinpa View Post
Bump- So josh Harding just resigned in minny for 1.2 for one year...wow...

This is not helping homer's rationale...
In all honesty, Leighton has established himself way more than Harding has. So comparing Leighton's deal to Harding, I think Leighton got the better deal, especially since he will be playing more.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
In all honesty, Leighton has established himself way more than Harding has. So comparing Leighton's deal to Harding, I think Leighton got the better deal, especially since he will be playing more.
Eh, not really.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Eh, not really.
Not that I think Leighton is good, but Harding hasnt done **** and it showed that if he isnt behind a team that plays strickly defense he isnt as good as some people think he is.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Not that I think Leighton is good, but Harding hasnt done **** and it showed that if he isnt behind a team that plays strickly defense he isnt as good as some people think he is.
Literally everything you just said can be applied to Leighton.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Blasphemy! LAYTON IS DA BEST!!!!

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Every time I see this thread bumped, I want to destroy something beautiful.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Sanders418777

I'm pretty sure 99% of Flyers fans reacted the same to the Harding news.... and the Mason news... and the Ellis news....

Next it will be Turco signs with MTL to backup for $1.4mil

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
My arguement had nothing to do with Leighton though... it was more for the Harding hardon (lol?) that goes on here.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I am not ignoring! Show us his game logs in the regular season! Show us his playoff game logs! I have posted his entire career many times showing how he has been looked over, but has been good everywhere! Just like when people were talking about ripping the c from richards jersey I am 100% with homer on leighton! He will be a .920 guy on this team. If u r all right, then we are screwed. I tend to think life as a flyer fan is pretty good. But then I was trashed last year for liking the team we had. Even when we made the cup finals it was a stance to be ridiculed....,
Here's the link to his game log from Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2804/gamelog. Not sure how accurate that is, but reviewing it, here's what I get:

1. He got yanked in 6 of 31 regular season starts. So just under a quarter of his starts he was so bad he didn't make it through a whole game.
2. He gave up 3 goals or more in 14 of 31 regular season starts. That seems like a lot to me, but maybe my arbitrary cutoff of "3 goals" is too low. He gave up 4 goals or more 7 times (all starts...his two relief appearances he gave up 3 goals each time).

One thing to note: this includes his time in Carolina as well. Missed that at first.

Overall, he's just wildly inconsistent. He'd go 5 or 6 games giving up 2 goals or less, then meltdown and have a horrific game or two. And the horrific games he had weren't against stellar competition. He gave up 4 or more goals against Boston, Florida, Toronto, and Pittsburgh (also against Buffalo, Minnesota, and Philly when he was with the Canes). Outside of Pittsburgh and the Flyers, not exactly stacked offensive teams.

Additional things I noticed: this was the most games he'd started in the NHL since the 2003-2004 season, when he started 33 (career high). That's worrying. Last season he started 31 games total (27 for the Flyers, I believe), and the season prior he started 14. Now we're expecting him to start 40+ games? This seems like a recipe for disaster to me, or at least injury.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 09:12 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders418777 View Post
I'm pretty sure 99% of Flyers fans reacted the same to the Harding news.... and the Mason news... and the Ellis news....

I think I have kind of numbed to it now. Sort of like when you are used to getting migrane headaches (like I am) you learn a pattern of how to deal with them. For my migranes I take my pills make my bedroom dark turn my fan on and sleep it off. When I see a goalie signed for peanuts that would have been better than what we have right now I: angrily scream at whatever device just informed me of it, pound my fist on some sort of a desk like object (or wall if no desk is in the immediate area), rip my shirt off a la the Hulk and run into the streets crying.

This one actually hurts me a lot less than the Ellis and Mason non moves though.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders418777 View Post

<--- Hoping Turco is waiting this out for the Flyers to be under the cap and willing to sign him around $2 mil

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:50 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

didnt holmgren dictate the market by signing leighton first. im pretty sure most of these goalies would have gotten more money if we didnt give leighton his 1.55/yr first. i know we threw some money at turco and nabbs and they refused it. to me their all the same mediocre dude though. im sure the thought was at least this guy has stanley cup finals on the resume. i just wish we could work a trade for quick.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
didnt holmgren dictate the market by signing leighton first. im pretty sure most of these goalies would have gotten more money if we didnt give leighton his 1.55/yr first. i know we threw some money at turco and nabbs and they refused it. to me their all the same mediocre dude though. im sure the thought was at least this guy has stanley cup finals on the resume. i just wish we could work a trade for quick.
False.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
False.
false? how dare you. ive never been more right about anything. one thing i pride myself on is my ability to decipher the complex web of calculated moves holmgren makes. its like chess. itll all make sense one day. ..............right? (im scared)

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
false? how dare you. ive never been more right about anything. one thing i pride myself on is my ability to decipher the complex web of calculated moves holmgren makes. its like chess. itll all make sense one day. ..............right? (im scared)
this actually makes a lot of sense. if all the other GMs are playing a game of chess with chess rules, homer is likely trying to use Connect 4 rules.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 05:31 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus
this actually makes a lot of sense. if all the other GMs are playing a game of chess with chess rules, homer is likely trying to use Connect 4 rules.
The game that comes to mind for Holmgren is Buckaroo: fit as many contracts onto the franchise until Laviolette loses his mind and starts tossing Coke machines around.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote