HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Season Expectations

Old
07-05-2010, 05:54 PM
bscharf

vCash: 500
Season Expectations

With essentially the same Ranger roster returning, How can we expect to even be a playoff team?

If no more transactions are made, what do you expect in 2010

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Vitto79

Battle for the 6/7/8 again

pray they gel and the young guys produce . Sadly will not be surprised if they miss the playoffs. The league is tight

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:57 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
If no more transactions are made, what do you expect in 2010
Fighting the Isles for last place. Pitt, Philly, NJ(if they get Kovy) all got better, we basically stayed the same. Missing the playoffs again.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:57 PM
17futurecap

I would say probably 10th or 11th in the east, if both Henrik and Gaborik stay healthy, as we saw last year there is only so many games Henrik can steal. Hopefully MZA can come in and score, as well as Dubinsky taking another step, but who knows if he will max out as 50 points.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

This is a team, that as currently constructed, is at best a low playoff seed, at worst a lottery pick team.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:16 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

I'm thinking with the team as is, anywhere from 8-11 in the East.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

1; This team is no worse on paper than last years, unless Gaborik gets hurt. I dont think anyone is going to argue that the loss of Ollie Jokinen in exchange for Mats Zuccarello Aasen is going to kill us, or that Enver Lisin was a part of any of our wins.

2; Some of our competitors have improved on paper

3; Part of a rebuild means your kids get a little better each year.

I think we could finish anywhere from 5th to 11th. Should be fun to watch our kids improve regardless of where we end up.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:33 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

This team, as constituted, is likely to challenge for the worst record in the east, with Florida and the Islanders. All other teams behind them, save the Panthers and Islanders have improved, most notably, Atlanta, TB and Toronto. And, Carolina is likely to have Cam Ward for the full year.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:39 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This team, as constituted, is likely to challenge for the worst record in the east, with Florida and the Islanders. All other teams behind them, save the Panthers and Islanders have improved, most notably, Atlanta, TB and Toronto. And, Carolina is likely to have Cam Ward for the full year.
This team will give the first pick a run this season. They are not very good. Without Lundqvist.....they would be worse than the Islanders.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
This team will give the first pick a run this season. They are not very good. Without Lundqvist.....they would be worse than the Islanders.

The myth that this team will never be awful with Henke and Gaborik was certainly put to the test last year. They had both players fairly healthy, and didn't make the playoffs. Just about everyone in the conference has gotten better. Yeah, everyone is hoping for improvement from the young players. You know what? So are Atlanta, TB, Toronto and the Isles.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:47 PM
ecemleafs

6-11. essentially the same team as last year...maybe the team develops chemistry this year with a lack of changes and the young players make some improvements.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:49 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

What can I expect? This is exactly what I cant expect:

Witht the 1st overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, the New York Rangers are pleased to select, Adam Larsson!!

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:54 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

one benefit to this marginal team is the possible/eventual firing of torts the clown.

not for the record, as the talent is just not there again, but for his lunatic act that im sure we'll all see once this team loses 7 games in a row.

i suspect that after 2 years ago and the torts freakout with the water bottle debacle, and last years missing the po's by one game and subsequent trashing of his stud player to the press, torts will have minimal time to gather some chemistry with this rag tag bunch before the call for his head on a platter

in some perverted way, i think this could be entertaining....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:59 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Only thing I'm looking forward to for this season is the development of all of our top prospects and young NHL roster players.

I don't expect this to be a playoff year.

Another top 10 pick in the draft.

I just don't see how we contend in the conference, let alone our division, when so many teams have improved.

Continue to build for the future.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:00 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Only thing I'm looking forward to for this season is the development of all of our top prospects and young NHL roster players.

I don't expect this to be a playoff year.

Another top 10 pick in the draft.

I just don't see how we contend in the conference, let alone our division, when so many teams have improved.

Continue to build for the future.
Agreed. Top 10 pick again. Im down....

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:14 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
Agreed. Top 10 pick again. Im down....
Perhaps this time around we will be far enough out of the running at the deadline that we can actually trade Prospal for a 2nd rounder.

A 1st and three 2nds could make for a nice draft come next year.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Hank is gonna be more rested and that will get us a few extra points alone. I still think Sather has a trade up his sleeve for more offense but when you have goaltending liks this your always in a playoff hunt. The Devils never had big scorers and made the playoffs playing good D with great goaltending.

Can Drury really have another piss poor season? I don't see it happening, the guy has too much pride and I think he will have a bounce back year. Not like his one big season with the Sabres but better than he did last year.

Redden! This problem has now been identified by the coach and the fans, Sather has to be working on getting rid of Wade, so for the first time I really don't expect him here in the fall.

Those three reasons alone make me think the Rangers are in better shape now than last year, add in another year experience for our younger players I think it's way too premature to start calling another top ten pick next year.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:19 PM
alkurtz

What do I expect?

Lot of post game Torts rants at the media.

Lots of post game conferences with a long-faced and depressed Henrik saying "I just have to do better."

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Battle for the 6/7/8 again

pray they gel and the young guys produce . Sadly will not be surprised if they miss the playoffs. The league is tight
This.

So lets see.

The Flyers went to the Finals, got tougher and made some other decent signings - so they are good and have improved. Still a question in net as always though. Theyll be there and be bitter about losing in the finals. Not good.

The Devils at one point looked as if they were about to take a step backwards after they lost Martin, but then upgraded their D with Tallinder (marginal) and Volchenkov. If they add Kovalchuck, and it seems likely, they will probably be one of the teams to beat not only the Atlantic but the East as well - even if they have to jettison some players to fit him in.

The Penguins seem to be losing more players then gaining the last few years but with the lineup they have they will always be in it. They lost Gonchar but added Martin and Michalek. They now have one of the strongest D's in the league let alone the East. Malkin, Crosby and Fluery all hitting their prime and they know how to win a Cup. Not good.

The Islanders had another good draft, and while they are still young - one of these years they are going to start clicking and thats not good for Rangers fans. They always show up to play as it is and each year they are getting stronger and wiser and they have the cap room to add good players (Plural) if need be.

And then you have us. There still could be some more movement in the Atlantic but as far as the Rangers are concerned they are most likely done because they have no other choice really. What happens to Redden is going to be a huge story/turning point for this team moving forward IMO. How the young players gel and how guys like Dubinsky, Del Zotto and Anisimov take it to the next level will probably dictate if they will be in the race or not.

I dont think you can even compare this team to the Flyers, Pens and Devils at this point. The Rangers have to set their sights on the lower tier teams like the Canes (who don't have that bad of a roster despite their finish last year) Florida, Atlanta (who will be coming), Toronto, Isles etc... And thats a shame considering where they were three or four seasons ago. Its definitely trending downwards IMO as far as the standings is concerned. Once again they will struggle to score goals mightily. Once again theyll have trouble with consistency. I think a key to the season will be better play at home and getting more points after the regulation horn. They were downright terrible in OT and shootouts last season. Two to four more Ot and shootout wins would have had them in the 6th spot in last years playoffs and I expect it to be that close again.

I think another glaring key will be health. I havent checked this stat, but im sure everyone will agree with me. They have had one of the lowest if not THE lowest manpower lost in games over the past half decade or more. They have been MORE than lucky with the lack of injuries. One of these years (god forbid) the injury bug will bite its just the law of averages. The Rangers have compiled all of this suckage with full squads and they still havent done anything to write home about.

All that aside, It will most likely be a long season unless we have some big surprises and resurgences from some older veterans. But as always, with a guy like Hank in net you can never count them out.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-05-2010 at 07:45 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:34 PM
nyr2417

with the way our division is shaping up? 12th-14th in east

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Crease

7-11. Dolan will not allow a sell-off at the deadline, so we'll be in the playoff hunt until the end like last year.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:52 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

What do I see? Another season of brainless and boring hockey.

This team hasn't been smart enough or talented enough to sustain offensive pressure in the other team's zone with any consistency for several seasons now, and that'll likely continue.

Teams like CHI, PIT, DET, WSH win by getting into the opposition's zone and staying there. Then they pass the puck around a whole lot to create scoring chances. This team doesn't do that. They don't cycle the puck, mainly because they aren't good enough to do it. Teams that can't do that don't win or play entertaining hockey.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:25 AM
NYR Viper

Honestly, I expect this team to be very frustrating. With all of the young players they will not be consistent but they will show flashes. I expect a 11-13th place finish in the East.

Teams better than the Rangers on paper in the East:

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Washington
Montreal
Boston
New Jersey
Buffalo
Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Toronto

Teams at or slightly above the Rangers:
Atlanta
Carolina
New York Islanders

Honestly, the only team who looks worse is Florida and it isnt by much.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

10-13

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:35 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Thats the beauty of it, u just never now whats going to happen. Weren't they picked to come in 30th place after the lockout? u just never know. LGR!!!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote