HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Season Expectations

Old
07-06-2010, 12:53 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Just like I said last year, anywhere form 6-12.

Obviously a huge range but we're not a playoff team unless we're a low seed and we're not a lottery team either.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:45 AM
The Thomas J.*

As it stands today we will finish some where between 7th & 10th place. For us to be sucessful, Prospal has to give the same type of production, Drury needs to be used properly on the PP, that means planting him in front of the net, which we saw after the Olympics.

We needs Dubi, Cally & Aminsov to take there games to another level, we need at least one more 30 goal guy.I haved no idea what MZA will bring to the table. It would be nice if we could get a guy that is explosive out of the box, but that never happens for us. I'm not counting on much from him. I really don't want him on the NHL roster if he is gonna be a liablity, let him learn the game in the AHL like every one else. I may be in the minoritty here, but I see Christensen as nothing more than a stop gap. I don't think he will ever reach his potentiol, nor do I think he will be better than he was last year.

Obviously it goes with out saying we need a healthly Gabs all season. I'd also like to see a more defined role for Avery, the guy has top 6 talent, he does male other guys better, they feed off of that & in turn he is better...is he a 2nd liner or a 3rd line role player who gets PP time.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:00 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't think it will be as bad as a majority of everyone thinks as long as the key parts stay healthy for the most part.

Battling for the 6/7/8 spot is realistic.

You figure if Gabby's line w/Dubi and Christensen can play well again, then you just hope that Prospal and Cally can both net ~20 goals each and that Anisimov gets about 15, Drury rebounds with about 15 goals, and Avery can come back and score 15. You also have to hope the defense pitches in with some goals.

Goalscoring won't be as big of an issue as people think if most of our players hit career averages, save Christensen and Anisimov.

You have to really hope one of Anisimov or Dubinsky has a true breakout year.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:04 AM
WalterHeisenberg

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Honestly, I expect this team to be very frustrating. With all of the young players they will not be consistent but they will show flashes. I expect a 11-13th place finish in the East.

Teams better than the Rangers on paper in the East:

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Washington
Montreal
Boston
New Jersey
Buffalo
Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Toronto

Teams at or slightly above the Rangers:
Atlanta
Carolina
New York Islanders

Honestly, the only team who looks worse is Florida and it isnt by much.
1.) ok first off i really don't think buffalo is going to be better than us next season, they got rid of some beneficial players and i honestly think they had one good year last year...
2.) Islanders will definitely not be better than us considering that they are not getting kovi, if they did than MAYBE they would be they do need a good healthy goaltender though...
3.) Toronto also doesn't have a goalie that is anywhere near as good as Henrik, maybe they added some 2nd or 3rd line players like versteeg big deal, the player that will produce the most on that team is Phil Kessel if he stays healthy, I really don't think the maple leafs are a well put together team.
4.) Tampa Bay's three scorers are St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Stamkos...St.Louis and Lecavalier aren't getting younger, St.Louis is already 34 and who do they have in net too?
5.) Florida just straight up sucks, they didn't do any signings this offseason sad
6.) I'll admit Ottawa got alot better
7.) And i definitely think Boston is way over rated, they had that #1 in the east 2 years ago because Tim Thomas had the season of his career, hes also getting older and was always hurt last year very injury prone and when he was healthy he sucked. They got rid of their 2nd best defensemen Widemen. This team lacks offense after getting rid of Kessel, they would be stupid to get rid of Savard because he is their best scorer.

I'm just saying i don't agree with how u are completely under estimating us, we are very young this year but we also have talent and 3 great veterans that are gonna lead the way for us to a 6th seed in the east (gabby, drury, henrik) If sather doesn't trade any of our young talent (MDZ, MCA, Anismov, Callahan, Duby) away I think next season they will continue to keep improving. We sucked last year because Higgins was ****, Kotalik was nothing, and Jokinien completely choked. Now we have some talent. Also, we have probably one of the best backup goalies on our team so now Henrik can take some of the workload off of him unlike last year he was so sore going into the final games against Philly which killed us

WalterHeisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:38 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Tampa, Boston, NJ, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal.

That's 8 teams right there, ahead of the Rangers.

Carolina and Florida are below.

Atlanta and Toronto could go either way.

Not sure about the Islanders. They could be a darkhorse.

Rangers are not a playoff team. And if they manage to squeak in, I like being positive, but this team won't make a dent in the post season.

In a couple of years, yes. But not right now. When Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, McDonagh are on the team and Redden, Drury, and Rozsival are off of it, we will be much better.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:08 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

I'm not sure I would consider the Habs a better team than us right now. Their defense isn't getting younger and there are too many questions marks between the pipes. Price never played more than 52 games a season in his career and always got down times, but Halak was there to save his ass. Can Auld handle 25 starts in Montréal if something goes wrong with Price? This has to be seen. Habs have not the cap space right now to upgrade much next season. If anything I'd say they regressed in comparison with last season.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Ail
k.

Assume the worst, hope for the best.

07-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Black Tank

1) A lot of the roster is the same and it's been a very long time since this has happened. There is an absolute value on letting the team gel.
2) Hopefully Tortorella won't waste half the season with his ******** marketing slogans and actually devise a game plan suited to the players he has available. This should save about 10 losses from last year. If he doesn't, I expect him to be fired by Christmas and that can only be a good thing.
3) Improved performance expected from Dubinsky, Anisimov, Del Zotto and Staal.
4) Another year of excellence from Gaborik and Lundquist.
5) Redden is a problem and needs to go. Even if he is the 6th dman, I believe he is a detriment to the team and shouldn't be around the group of young dmen building for the future. If the Rangers find their nuts, he is AHL bound and I believe team performance will improve no matter who replaces him as the 6th D.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I don't have any. It's just easier that way.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:16 AM
alkurtz

Expected improvement by our young players will be counterbalanced by continuing deterioration by our older players (Redden, Drury, et al).

The result is a team that on paper is exactly the same as it was this year.

The kicker here is injuries. We have been incredibly fortunate (perhaps the result of an emphasis on conditioning by both Renney and Torts) the last two seasons. The odds are that it wouldn't continue and that we will suffer a few long term injuries to key personnel. If Henrik or Gaborik go down, we are in for a long, long season that will force us (perhaps for the best) to force feed our even younger Hartford based players.

But looking at this team on paper, it is hard to imagine them as even a marginal playoff team. Hopefully I'm wrong but I have not felt so pessimistic about an upcoming season in quite awhile.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Crease

Same team on paper, so we should expect similar results, no? Every team will benefit from added chemistry and more experience from their younger guys. Let's hope we can stay healthy again.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Can Drury really have another piss poor season? I don't see it happening, the guy has too much pride and I think he will have a bounce back year. Not like his one big season with the Sabres but better than he did last year.
Drury will start to turn it up stats-wise. His contract is up in 2 years.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think another glaring key will be health. I havent checked this stat, but im sure everyone will agree with me. They have had one of the lowest if not THE lowest manpower lost in games over the past half decade or more. They have been MORE than lucky with the lack of injuries. One of these years (god forbid) the injury bug will bite its just the law of averages. The Rangers have compiled all of this suckage with full squads and they still havent done anything to write home about.
I think it's still too early to make any predictions for the upcoming season; there will still be quite a bit of movement in rosters league-wide before camps open up.

That said, I would like to comment on the above. I honestly believe that the Rangers lack of injuries over the last several seasons is much more than just luck. This team has a world class training facility manned by a world class staff (led by Reg Grant). I really think that it is erroneous to minimize their accomplishments and chalk it up to luck. Outside of your freak accidents (skate cuts, pucks to the face, etc.), injuries happen for a reason, and whatever the Rangers have been doing off the ice has gone a long way towards preventing them.

One other thing while I'm here. I think, in spite of my comment above about how it's too early to make any predictions, we all agree that the Rangers time is the future. But I need to ask you all, how far in the future do you think? Everyone clamoring about how our prospects are going to come into their own around 2013 or so are forgetting that Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/etc. are going to be all of 27 years old at that point. Unless the next "generational talent" is right around the corner and somehow ends up a Ranger, I think it's going to be a very, very long time before the Cup comes back to Broadway.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:09 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
With the rest of the division getting better and the Rangers once again not addressing an organizational need at center I see no reason to expect them to be better this season coming than the one that just ended.

I hope for the PO's, but with what I see on paper, I see a more likely hood of another 8-12 draft pick than I do the playoffs.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I think the playoffs can be an oppertunity, if most of the guys that struggled last year can deliver this time around. Drury and Avery especially... Dru needs to surpass 20 goals and Sean needs to bring his aggitation game back at a more constant level.

If Gabs and Prospal have great seasons again, and players like Christensen, AA and MZA goes beyond expectations... why not. And with a high-caliber goalie like Hank guarding the pipes, everything's possible.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
At best, and I mean absolute best MAYBE the 7th-8th seed. At worst, well, I'd say top 5-10 pick. It's been said here by others, teams around us got better. Our status quo stayed the same which means more of Lundqvist trying to win games singlehandely, Gaborik scoring all the goals and a lack of primary scoring. Florida and the Islanders are probably the only teams worse in the conference, the Leafs might be but a full season on defense of Kaberle, Phaneuf, Komisarek, etc should elevate them in the standings.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby33 View Post
1.) ok first off i really don't think buffalo is going to be better than us next season, they got rid of some beneficial players and i honestly think they had one good year last year...
2.) Islanders will definitely not be better than us considering that they are not getting kovi, if they did than MAYBE they would be they do need a good healthy goaltender though...
3.) Toronto also doesn't have a goalie that is anywhere near as good as Henrik, maybe they added some 2nd or 3rd line players like versteeg big deal, the player that will produce the most on that team is Phil Kessel if he stays healthy, I really don't think the maple leafs are a well put together team.
4.) Tampa Bay's three scorers are St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Stamkos...St.Louis and Lecavalier aren't getting younger, St.Louis is already 34 and who do they have in net too?
5.) Florida just straight up sucks, they didn't do any signings this offseason sad
6.) I'll admit Ottawa got alot better
7.) And i definitely think Boston is way over rated, they had that #1 in the east 2 years ago because Tim Thomas had the season of his career, hes also getting older and was always hurt last year very injury prone and when he was healthy he sucked. They got rid of their 2nd best defensemen Widemen. This team lacks offense after getting rid of Kessel, they would be stupid to get rid of Savard because he is their best scorer.

I'm just saying i don't agree with how u are completely under estimating us, we are very young this year but we also have talent and 3 great veterans that are gonna lead the way for us to a 6th seed in the east (gabby, drury, henrik) If sather doesn't trade any of our young talent (MDZ, MCA, Anismov, Callahan, Duby) away I think next season they will continue to keep improving. We sucked last year because Higgins was ****, Kotalik was nothing, and Jokinien completely choked. Now we have some talent. Also, we have probably one of the best backup goalies on our team so now Henrik can take some of the workload off of him unlike last year he was so sore going into the final games against Philly which killed us
1) Vanek was hurt most of last season. If he stays healthy they will be an offensive powerhouse and with Miller in net, they will be at least solid enough on the back-end.

2) The Islanders have a very god group of young players and still have top reach the cap floor. I have a feeling they will make a splash and we all saw how Stamkos turned it up a notch in his sophomore season, Tavares is next.

3) Giguere and The Monster are a pretty good goaltending tandem and with Kaberle, Komisarek, Schenn, Beauchemain, Gunnarsson and Phaneuf they will have a very good defense in front of them. Kessel will be healthy and their young players who were given opportunities last season will grow. Versteeg will help.

4) Stamkos, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Malone, Downie, Connoly and with Dan Ellis in goal they should be better in that department.

5) Florida is terrible.

6) Yeah.

7) Rask + Seguin + a healthy Savard and Lucic + Horton make that a whole different team

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:42 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Just too many unknowns, anywhere from 6-13.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Only thing I'm looking forward to for this season is the development of all of our top prospects and young NHL roster players.
You just have to hope it plays out that way.

If the Rangers are a little better than we expect, and a couple of teams above them are much worse than expected, they could be "in the hunt" at the holidays as far as management is concerned. Another red hot October could, once again, be the undoing of a development year.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Blueblood 2

Roster not set yet so the only solid expectation is that the coach will blow his cork, and Brooksie will be in the vicinity!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:50 AM
NCRanger

There still are an awful lot of unknowns.

Will Del Zotto improve to get 50 points from the blueline?

Can Christensen play a whole season with Gaborik and be a legitimate #1?

Can Drury play to his capabilities?

Will MZA be a threat, or a waste?

Can Brandon Prust be more than a banger? He could be a diamond in the rough and contribute 15 goals.

Will Avery have a better year and be a consistent second-line winger?

Call me stupid -- but what if Boogard could actually be used effectively on the power play as a screen?

Nobody knows -- if everything breaks right, 4th isn't out of the question, if it fails, 15th. Most likely, battle to the last day for 7/8.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:58 AM
John Torturella

I expect the team to be competitive. If they can be get some consistency, there is no reason this team will not make the playoffs. At least in my opinion.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
CM PUNK

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
DrAStuart

It is way too early to tell how this team will translate on the ice. Last year there were big expectations about the Ducks because they had what many commentators thought was one of the best overall top lines in the league...on paper. What had worked at the end of the previous season turned out not to work so well last year. And on paper how many thought the Canadiens would make a serious run for the cup knocking off some giants along the way.

That said, I think they can make the play-offs. If the team that made the run for a spot last season can play that way for a whole season then that should get us a low-ish seed for the post-season. But that also assumes that none of the wheels come off the bus for any length of time.

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Matteau Matteau

So many questions. Grachev, MZA, McD, do Cally and Dubi and Staal continue to mature/progress, does the team play better together with some added stability, etc.

My guess is we take the 7th or 8th seed.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote