HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Peters return a Cane (2yrs, 2-way, 500k/550k)

Old
07-05-2010, 06:11 PM
semin4captain

vCash: 500
Justin Peters return a Cane (2yrs, 2-way, 500k/550k)

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533820

Quote:
RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced today that the team has agreed to terms with goaltender Justin Peters on a two-year contract. The deal will pay Peters $500,000 on the NHL level or $105,000 on the American Hockey League (AHL) level in 2010-11, with a guarantee of at least $225,000. In 2011-12, it will pay him $550,000 in the NHL, or $105,000 in the AHL, with a guarantee of $250,000.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:34 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
good deal for us. Having Peters on a two-way is going to provide a lot of flexibility in case something goes wrong or if he pulls a Grahame/Fainting Goat on us.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Having Pete Dawg on a 2-way gives us a lot of flexibility because if Peters struggles and Murphy and/or Pogge do well in the AHL they can get a shot.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:49 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

as soon as Biron signed for pennies this deal became inevitable

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Scorvo

I thought he had to go through waivers to be sent down now? I hope we don't lose him that way...

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

i feel there is something dealing with age when it comes to waivers early on, but I believe the benefit of a 2-way contract is that they dont have to go through waivers.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
i feel there is something dealing with age when it comes to waivers early on, but I believe the benefit of a 2-way contract is that they dont have to go through waivers.
Being on a 2 way contract has nothing to do with waiver eligibility. That is determined by the number of games played. A 2 way contract just means they earn a lesser salary while playing at the ahl level. Therefore, you're not paying an nhl salary to a guy who isn't contributing to the team.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:54 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
^^^Yep. Waivers are far more complicated than contracts.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

I don't think I've taken enough law courses to understand waiver rules.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Being on a 2 way contract has nothing to do with waiver eligibility. That is determined by the number of games played. A 2 way contract just means they earn a lesser salary while playing at the ahl level. Therefore, you're not paying an nhl salary to a guy who isn't contributing to the team.
wow ok yeah i guess i completely misunderstood

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Having a 2 way contract is simply a safeguard against a player failing miserably and still earning NHL dollars in the minors. 2 way means 2 tiers of pay. One level of pay for NHL time and one level of pay for AHL time. If Peters falters or does not make the team, then he can go down to Charlotte provided he clears waivers and play for the 2nd tier of his salary.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
^^^Yep. Waivers are far more complicated than contracts.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

I don't think I've taken enough law courses to understand waiver rules.
I'm not certain about this, but from looking at the table in that link and Peters age and contract history, he should be exempt from waivers this year as he signed at age 19 and this will be his 5th pro year since signing his first contract. I think he would need to pass waivers next year, but I may be mistaken about that.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I'm not certain about this, but from looking at the table in that link and Peters age and contract history, he should be exempt from waivers this year as he signed at age 19 and this will be his 5th pro year since signing his first contract. I think he would need to pass waivers next year, but I may be mistaken about that.
If the chart is accurate, then you are right he would not have to pass through waivers this year. If this is the case I wouldn't be shocked to see him play some games in Charlotte this season while Cam is in the middle of starting 10 games in a row just to see some live action (and save the team a couple bucks). I don't endorse the philosiphy of playing a goalie with back issues 70+ games, but I'm sure they will do it anyway, and if they do, it would make sense to give Peters a few games in the AHL in the middle of one of those streches.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:37 AM
totaltank

I think the two-way deal does more than all that. I think it opens the door for competition in camp. Murphy and Pogge are both around, and are both on two-way deals, too. Obviously, Peters is the guy they want to take the job, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy and Pogge get some NHL action this year, too.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:55 AM
caniac247

In one of JRs many interviews he did during draft/free agency week, he mentioned that Peters would be waiver eligible this season. It first surprised me he wanted Justin on a 2-way, but then he said, he'll wait till August/Sept to see what back ups are out there it makes sense, kind of. Or if Justin falters and sucks, he can send him back to Charlotte without having to pay his full NHL salary.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote