HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign D Shane O'Brien to 1-Year Deal, $1.6m (accepted QO)

Old
07-06-2010, 11:15 AM
DeveinedPgBc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Get rid of Bieksa and Alberts and that's the best rebuild of the defense any of us could've hoped for this Summer.
agreed %100.alberts is too slow (of feet and mind) to play here.ditch his money or bury it in the minors.bieksa, well, i am putting my faith in mr. gillis %100.he hasn't done one thing to lose my trust yet....even though i was pissed he traded grabner
and as far as SOB goes.he will be GREAT in a number 6 role.you'll see

DeveinedPgBc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
I've said it before, Alberts and OB are very similar players. In fact, I give Alberts the edge in Hits, blocks and takeaways. OB had an inflated +/- because he played on a better offensive team.

Alberts made some stupid plays here and became a whipping boy, but I'd much rather have Alberts at 1 million than Obrien at 1.6.

I don't get why everyone loves OB so much? Because you were at a bar where he shotgunned a beer? The guy doesn't hit, hardly fights (and when he does he thinks it's smart to celebrate a draw), publicly bashes his coach, shows up overweight, and worst of all, can't play defense to save his life.

Drop the bum, and Bieksa too.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Barney Gumble

I kind of wonder why it took so long for SOB to agree to the qualifying offer?

Who else was realistically going to offer him more than $1.6 million?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:31 AM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I think it'll just be 7 of the 9 who stay as well. I've heard a couple comments from Gillis that lead me to believe that one of the younger guys will be the '8th' guy this year, obviously while on the Moose. Oberg, Sauve, etc.

We had alot more depth quantity-wise last year, but our top four this year is as durable as it gets in the NHL. No need to keep guys around who are never going to play. Roll with the 7 and pick up a depth guy at the deadline.

Who gets moved at this point is anyone's guess. There are so many variables with Bieksa, Alberts, and O'Brien to figure out what way the organization is leaning. You could make a compelling argument for moving any or all of those guys.

m9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Personally, I think two bodies will be trimmed from that list. Most likely candidates are Bieksa and one of O'Brien or Alberts, depending on who the team feels can help them more. Rome will be the 7th D-Man and we will have 7 NHL calibre d-men to start the season.

If we do keep both Alberts and SOB, I could really only see Alberts sitting in the press box and not making a stink about it. I don't think SOB would take being a 7th/8th guy too well given his past transgressions.
I think it'll be Bieksa (obviously) and Alberts who will leave. For all his problems O'Brien is a much, much better play than Alberts, and as the difference is only 500k it will be time to get that coveted 2011 5th round pick back for AA.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:57 AM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnrealEngine View Post
Kind of off topic, but how does capgeek report this before other media?
Apparently capgeek was started by a hockey writer, so he must have connections. Agents and players also want salary news to spread as quickly as possible, so the players know the market. Twitter is ideal for this short news info.

Good on SOB for accepting the QO. He still has a lot to proove, and realizes that. He can be a borderline #4 guy if he applies himself. Make our top 4 earn their ice time.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:06 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Apparently capgeek was started by a hockey writer, so he must have connections. Agents and players also want salary news to spread as quickly as possible, so the players know the market. Twitter is ideal for this short news info.

Good on SOB for accepting the QO. He still has a lot to proove, and realizes that. He can be a borderline #4 guy if he applies himself. Make our top 4 earn their ice time.
nhlpa has it too.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Passthedonuts

Well played by O'Brien. The guy isn't very bright, but he must have figured being under contract gave him a better chance at coming back and not being the odd man out.

Passthedonuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Placebo Effect

Hopefully SOB's got his head on straight over the summer. He's way better than Alberts.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:23 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Hopefully SOB's got his head on straight over the summer. He's way better than Alberts.
After 6 weeks on the team, I'd argue Alberts is ahead or at the same level of where O'Brien was after the same amount of time.

Is Alberts a headcase? Is he disciplined? If he is a good character player, the edge is duly towards Alberts.

Both played in the SouthEast, neither in a system with any kind of structure. Personally, I think after a summer of conditioning and training camp with the team, Alberts could be as good as O'Brien.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
can you trade a guy after he signs a QO?
Yes.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
After 6 weeks on the team, I'd argue Alberts is ahead or at the same level of where O'Brien was after the same amount of time.

Is Alberts a headcase? Is he disciplined? If he is a good character player, the edge is duly towards Alberts.

Both played in the SouthEast, neither in a system with any kind of structure. Personally, I think after a summer of conditioning and training camp with the team, Alberts could be as good as O'Brien.
Don't let facts, stats and reason get in your way, O'Brien is such a cool guy!

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

And cheaper at a cap hit of $1,050,000... since the Canucks are cap-strapped $550,000 in space can be useful.

BTW here is a list from Capgeek of salary committed to Dmen by team and how many signed.

Vancouver is Number 2 ($25,700,000 - 9) behind the Leafs just ahead of the Flyers, Wings, Oilers and Habs.
http://www.capgeek.com/positional_co...php?position=D

However on cost per player on D Vancouver ranks #11 at $2,855,556 while Chicago leads the way at $4,173,459 and the Leafs are second at $3,760,714 followed by the Rangers, Wings and Flyers. Also note while Vancouver has 9 D signed the Hawks and Rangers have only 4 signed.

So all in all Vancouver looks in pretty good shape and it seems likely Bieksa will be moved and maybe O'Brien which would open up an extra $5.375 million in cap space. Gillis and Gilman look to be doing good job managing the cap at the top end.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Imo Sob @ 1.6 > Aa @ 1.0

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Proto

Quote:

Agreed. And even if he isn't, he can be the #7 and Rome can be the #6 -- Rome is quietly a solid defenseman without any of the headaches that O'Brien brings. He's also got decent size and doesn't shy away from rough stuff after the whistle (minus the stupid penalties).

I wouldn't want to pay a $600k premium for Shane O'Brien over Alberts with the cap as tight as it is. Ship O'Brien out with something else for a draft pick or whathaveyou.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:20 PM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

I like the potential that Alberts brings. Not potential in him as a player, but potential as to what he can do when he learns our team and system a bit better. He's a better hitter and uses his size better than O'Brien. He looked lost last year, but so have alot of d-men who've come over at the trade deadline. We already know what we have in O'Brien for better or worse, I'd be for giving Alberts a shot as the #6 guy.

m9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

I'd rather have Rome in the lineup than SOB or Alberts. Move Bieksa and move the bigger cap hit and off-ice distraction.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:49 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:

I agree. Give AA time to learn the system and be a part of the team. There's no sideshow with him. Can't afford anymore distractions. Alberts also plays a more consistently physical game, and probably will be more effective on the bottom pair in that physical/pk/crease clearing role.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:55 PM
keslehr*

Sweet, I always liked SOB. Now just trade Bieksa and Alberts (or bury him in the minors) and sign a cheap (i.e. 500-600k) defenseman just in case.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:01 PM
BloatedGuppy

I really like Shane O'Brien despite his seemingly endless drama, and I think he's maturing into a sound NHL defenceman. He's probably fairly priced if not a slight bargain at 1.6 million, if he keeps up his development curve.

That said, 1.6 million is awfully steep for a 6th defenceman, and even with Bieksa moved that's the best O'Brien can hope for. He probably needs more ice time and responsibility than the Canucks can afford to give him to become the defenceman he wants to be, and the Canucks need a cheaper option for the 6-8 holes (and already have a couple under contract).

It's just a shame to move him now, as after all his off-ice shenanigans you can't help but think his value is going to be a lot lower than it should be.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

seriously, SOB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alberts, it's not even close.

Very happy with this signing, basically 100% chance Alberts and bieksa are both gone some how.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:29 PM
alternate

I'm firmly in the keep Albers move O'Brien camp for all the reasons given, but also because SOB will bring in better return.

Alberts brings less drama, more dedication, more consistant physical play, more willing to accept a specific role ,d costs $600k less.

SOB has the higher upside and (when he wasn't too fat to play) was the better player LAST year and has an attractive contract for a 4-5 guy. This should mean a higher return.

But it all together, and I hope SOBs tab at the Roxy is all caught up.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:34 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

The Roxy will have booth #55 all tabbed up this season

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Excellent News!

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:38 PM
DFAC

I'd prefer having Rome and Oberg than Bieksa and OB, especially considering the cap hits.

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote