HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Season Expectations

Old
07-06-2010, 11:40 AM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
1) A lot of the roster is the same and it's been a very long time since this has happened. There is an absolute value on letting the team gel.
2) Hopefully Tortorella won't waste half the season with his ******** marketing slogans and actually devise a game plan suited to the players he has available. This should save about 10 losses from last year. If he doesn't, I expect him to be fired by Christmas and that can only be a good thing.
3) Improved performance expected from Dubinsky, Anisimov, Del Zotto and Staal.
4) Another year of excellence from Gaborik and Lundquist.
5) Redden is a problem and needs to go. Even if he is the 6th dman, I believe he is a detriment to the team and shouldn't be around the group of young dmen building for the future. If the Rangers find their nuts, he is AHL bound and I believe team performance will improve no matter who replaces him as the 6th D.
This is a great point that no one has really picked up on. At this point I don't see Redden being sent down. There is more than enough payroll to keep him on & add a part or two after Girardi & Staal re-up. We are stuck with him going into the season.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Even in a best-case-scenario situation this team is fighting for 8th.

Anything less than best-case and we're close to a lottery team.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

This is one of the few years where the team is essentially the same, that is a good point.

There was a massive roster turnover every offseason around here. It is nice to have the same guys coming back for once, problem is I dont think that roster is very good.

But i think with the lowered expectations, we might be pleasantly surprised if all clicks well. Certain players have to step up, answer the bell, assimilate their game to the NHL and learn and continue to stay healthy. Its a lot to ask for.

3 months away

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Team chemistry should be better this year, since we wont have a high turnover rate. 5-10 seed.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:29 PM
HAPPY HOUR

The 09-10 NY Rangers finished in 9th with a basically healthy line-up year round. The top eight teams look just as good if not better on paper. Ottawa possibly an exception.
The Isles, Tampa, Toronto, and Atlanta look to have def improved their line-ups.

I predict pre-lockout suckage and a finish somewhere from 10-13 in the conference. Funny, I'm usually overly optimistic this time of year.

Curious to see how Torts does with a team that clearly hasn't done as much to improve as the teams around it have....................yet.

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 07-06-2010 at 12:38 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

6-10th. People are really going overboard in this thread. Anyone who thinks we're even going to sniff the first pick is out of their mind.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Still haven't addressed our biggest need (scoring goals). I'm expecting to finish anywhere from 9-14.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
We will make the playoffs because of Biron giving Lundqvist a lot of rest. That's a big deal for us. We could be as high as 6th seed. This isn't blind optimism, it actually makes sense. No one could back up Lundqvist last year and Hank couldn't handle the load we were giving him and we missed the playoffs by one point. We could steal the first round off a well rested Lundqvist but I have strong doubts that we'd get past the second round, if we get that far. All in all this team is better than the consensus seems to think, but still not a legitimate contender, yet.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Nyrvana

I don't understand why everyone thinks we're worse off than last year? We didn't lose anybody and all the young guys are a year older. They have spent one more year with Torts. Gaborik and Lundqvist are still here. I think we make the playoffs but could end up anywhere from 6 - 9. I'm hoping 2 of Grachev, McDonagh, and Stepan make the team. Let the kids develop and hopefully we'll continue to make smart decisions.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
We will make the playoffs because of Biron giving Lundqvist a lot of rest. That's a big deal for us. We could be as high as 6th seed. This isn't blind optimism, it actually makes sense. No one could back up Lundqvist last year and Hank couldn't handle the load we were giving him and we missed the playoffs by one point. We could steal the first round off a well rested Lundqvist but I have strong doubts that we'd get past the second round, if we get that far. All in all this team is better than the consensus seems to think, but still not a legitimate contender, yet.
This only works IF Biron wins some games.

Our suspect defense (the same exact D as last season with the possible exception of adding McDonnagh) has trouble winning with Hank between the pipes... how's Biron gonna do? If Hank rests for 15 games or so but Biron only wins a few we could easily finish worse than last season.

This is to say nothing of the fact that we can't score any damn goals and there's no help in sight for that issue.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:32 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
This is a great point that no one has really picked up on. At this point I don't see Redden being sent down. There is more than enough payroll to keep him on & add a part or two after Girardi & Staal re-up. We are stuck with him going into the season.
I'v eactually seen a few people point to this. There are a few problems with this train of though.
1) Even towards the end of the season the lines were being flip flopped constantly and our best line Shelly-Prust and AA will be broken up.

2) The guys brought back are Prust, Christ, Avery, Dubs, Cally, Drury, Prospal, Gabs, Hank.

Every single one of them falls into the category of unspectacular, inconsistent or injury risk/prone except for Hank. Had we not signed Biron I would predict Hank to have an injury this year b/c the 5 years of 30 wins and 60+ games is bound to catch up eventually. As it stands he's finished 2 or 3 times with big nagging injuries.

3) The young guys obviously borught back are still young. Only continued development can be expected from them. Staal and Girardi are not yet resigned But they are among the most consistent pieces we have although not offensively gifted. (Staals O does improve every year though so far).

That said I am nitpicking with the Hank and gabs negatives but they are important to keep in mind. So is Cally's injury and Dubs inconsistency. But those guys all are still brimming with potential and skill. The others are too old or are big question marks. The young guys are question marks b/c they re still so young like AA and MDZ.

I think we will need another year or two before the chemistry building really takes affect. I feel with this team there are too many question marks for the chemistry to mean much this season.

Still it could lead to an overachieving team...also the other teams around us look to have gotten better.

Barring shocking seasons from Dubs, AA or even Grachev or Stepan. Barring an MVP season from hank or Gabs we will be mediocre-bad.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 07-06-2010 at 01:37 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:36 PM
bubba5

9th-11th. Average 2.23 GPG. Lundqvist requests trade to tem that can actualy score goals! Redden MVP of Wolfpack.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

If I were to guess...

1)Washington
2)Philly
3)Boston
4)Pittsburgh
5)NJ
6)Buffalo
7)Ottawa
8)Lightning
9)Montreal
10)Thrashers
11)Rangers
12)Carolina
13)Islanders
14)Toronto
15)Florida

But, I could easily see us at 13-14 as well. I don't see us going higher than 10th.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Wow I agree with Inferno for once this team improved in one area and that is backup goalie. If you think Torts won't lean on Lundqvist heavy again if the record is bad you're nuts. This team has to play good enough to give Lundqvist days off. If history repeats itself Prospal is in for a down year. EC has played himself off more teams than he has stuck with so my faith in him is minimal. Avery might be too concerned with himself to help the team. All this talk about the young guys being a year older and more experienced is great and all but sophomore slumps are just as real of a possibility. Like I said earlier I don't have any expectations. I also like what a lot of the other teams in the east did.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

we have Lundqvist. We won't sink that low. 6-11 seed in the East. 6 if all the young guys can take their game to the next level and provide some scoring support for Gabo. 11 if we get the same old same old from everyone. All I can hope for is the West repeats again in their tight race that got us the 10th overall despite finishing 9th in our Conference. how often does that happen?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:29 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
If history repeats itself Prospal is in for a down year.
58 pts might be good for the Rangers but for Prospal that is an off year. I consider the pattern broken. Of course playing for the Rangers, that is easy to accomplish.

In his good years he scored 71, 80, and 79 points.
His down years he has scored 45, 55, 54, 55 points.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
we have Lundqvist. We won't sink that low. 6-11 seed in the East. 6 if all the young guys can take their game to the next level and provide some scoring support for Gabo. 11 if we get the same old same old from everyone. All I can hope for is the West repeats again in their tight race that got us the 10th overall despite finishing 9th in our Conference. how often does that happen?
I agree that Henrik is a guy who makes a difference out there. But, I think the teams around us have improved so much that it wont be enough on most nights. Just look at some of these rosters. The Penguins, Flyers, and Devils are going to pound the ever loving crap out of us. 18 games, id be surprised if we win 4.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:36 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Wow I agree with Inferno for once this team improved in one area and that is backup goalie. If you think Torts won't lean on Lundqvist heavy again if the record is bad you're nuts. This team has to play good enough to give Lundqvist days off. If history repeats itself Prospal is in for a down year. EC has played himself off more teams than he has stuck with so my faith in him is minimal. Avery might be too concerned with himself to help the team. All this talk about the young guys being a year older and more experienced is great and all but sophomore slumps are just as real of a possibility. Like I said earlier I don't have any expectations. I also like what a lot of the other teams in the east did.
Dunno if that was aimed at me when I said our young guys would return I was saying that although this is an addition to chemistry they are still just young guys and can't be counted on to produce much for another year or so. Just making sure my point was clear. I would say Dubs, Cally and Staal could contribute more but I would not expect much from AA or MDZ they are still too young.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:47 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

were a one man team. not a one line team, a one man team. no one but gaborik scores goals. shut him down and you have a good chance of beating us.

our defense doesnt handle an aggressive 3 man forecheck very well. pressure us and we cough it up.

the league knows all of this.

hank is hank and hell do his best but he cant stop everything.

i expect a long season of 1 goal losses and making opposing goaltenders look like vezina winners.

lack of goal scoring puts pressure on your entire team. defensively we cant make a mistake or we lose. if hank makes an error, we lose. that takes a toll on the team psyche and on its star goaltender who takes each and every loss to heart.

weve been through it before. last 2 seasons with renney and last year. we go down a goal or 2 and its game over. we always battle back but come up one goal short or lose on a bad angle hank screwup or a rebound off someones bum late in the 3rd.

when you cant score goals you cant win. we can score goals.

fill in the rest.....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:55 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Good thing about next season is, once they go down by two goals, you can move on to something else. Like schoolwork, sleep,NCIS.Hey your dog will love you. Instead of sitting through a tortuous 3rd period, you can take Fluffy for an extra long walk.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
58 pts might be good for the Rangers but for Prospal that is an off year. I consider the pattern broken. Of course playing for the Rangers, that is easy to accomplish.

In his good years he scored 71, 80, and 79 points.
His down years he has scored 45, 55, 54, 55 points.
Then I expect 30.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:15 PM
frankthefrowner

Everyone is assuming that all the other teams in out conference that made big moves will work out...Atlanta is the biggest one I find absurd... why is atlanta going to be better than us? They got buff ? a 50 point player? They have gigantic question marks in goaltending...

We are by no means a lock to make the playoffs and i wouldnt be surprised if we miss it, but on the same note im not surprised if we make it either or play really well..We have strong goaltending and a solid defense with our rookies from last year another year older.

Anythign can happen anyone assuming we're worse than last year is just dreaming the HF Dream of the #1 pick.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:13 PM
McDonaughGirardi

rangers finish 4th in the conference ... ahead of philly, and new jersey and behind only pittsburgh...

prospal-dubinsky-gaborik
Avery-Anisimov-MZA
Prust-Stepan-Callahan
Boogard-Drury-Wiese

i think that 2nd line will all put up 40-50 points
dubinsky and prospal will put up 50-60 points and gaborik will put up 80+ points
we only had 3 players get more than 40 points last season

last year the rangers backup goalies combined for a 3-6-1 record ... i think biron will improve that to a 5-5 record

with anisimov and dubinsky both improving their totals form the previous season and the acquisition of mza ... we will have 5 legitimate top 6 players but only one legitimate first line player ... thats what happens when you pay blair betts 2.0 7 million per season

McDonaughGirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Everyone is assuming that all the other teams in out conference that made big moves will work out...Atlanta is the biggest one I find absurd... why is atlanta going to be better than us? They got buff ? a 50 point player? They have gigantic question marks in goaltending...

We are by no means a lock to make the playoffs and i wouldnt be surprised if we miss it, but on the same note im not surprised if we make it either or play really well..We have strong goaltending and a solid defense with our rookies from last year another year older.

Anythign can happen anyone assuming we're worse than last year is just dreaming the HF Dream of the #1 pick.
Atlanta finished two points (?) behind the Rangers. They addressed their goaltending situation by getting a pretty good goalie in Chris Mason, and they also added Andrew Ladd. If the Rangers are expecting their young players to improve, shouldn't Atlanta expect the same from Kane, Little, Bergfors and Bogosian?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Atlanta finished two points (?) behind the Rangers. They addressed their goaltending situation by getting a pretty good goalie in Chris Mason, and they also added Andrew Ladd. If the Rangers are expecting their young players to improve, shouldn't Atlanta expect the same from Kane, Little, Bergfors and Bogosian?
Atlanta spent most of that season with a player named Kovalchuk.

They may be better this year, but I doubt it. I think Little overperformed. Kane is a stud though granted.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote