HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign D Shane O'Brien to 1-Year Deal, $1.6m (accepted QO)

Old
07-06-2010, 02:43 PM
ZombieMatt

vCash: 500
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

ZombieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieMatt View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Gotta love the hater tears

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:14 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
seriously, SOB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alberts, it's not even close.

Very happy with this signing, basically 100% chance Alberts and bieksa are both gone some how.
We can only hope.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
We can only hope.
I don't think this indicates a preference by MG one way or the other towards Alberts or O'Brien. They obviously weren't going to let O'Brien walk for nothing and he accepted his QO. It doesn't mean Gillis wants him back (or, inversely, that he doesn't).

I don't see how they afford him though unless they seriously are going to bank on both Hodgson and Hansen being effective third liners next season. I'd feel a lot better with Owen Nolan on the third line (at the cost of Shane O'Brien's salary) and Hansen on the fourth line.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomination View Post
I'd prefer having Rome and Oberg than Bieksa and OB, especially considering the cap hits.
Oberg is not an NHL caliber defenceman at this point. Particularly for a team that fancies itself a cup contender...

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 04:15 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Oberg is not an NHL caliber defenceman at this point. Particularly for a team that fancies itself a cup contender...
Based on the current situation, honestly i don't see any issue if Oberg is our 8th or 9th dman next year. Salary cap pays a huge part in this and its impossible to carry 9 dmans on the club. You can't really sign a dman and play him on the moose... not if he's a good dman because guess what he needs to clear waives and re-entry waivers to get up/down. Its not like there are many NHL ready dman out there that doesn't need to clear waivers.

MG has said that Oberg is very close and as such he could step in. You never know how much he has improved or will improve during the summer. As long as he's not the #7 dman on our depth chart, there is really no issue. As a #8 dman, we need to have 2 dmans out before he needs to play. Given the injury history (or lack there of) of Ham, Ehrhoff, Ballard, and Elder, that shouldn't be a big issue.

In a perfect world, i would say get rid of SOB and Alberts (net cap saving of 2.65) and sign Willie to a < 2mil contract to be our #6 (trade bieksa for the best deal that doesn't bring back > 2mil) and keep Rome as 7th. Sign someone < 700k or just use Oberg in the minor as #8. Maybe even trade Bieksa for a borderline ready dman prospect that doesn't need to clear waiver for defensive depth (who knows what MG can pull off). Odds of that happening = pretty low as quite a few stars need to align (trade partners, willie being 100%, etc).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I've said it before, Alberts and OB are very similar players. In fact, I give Alberts the edge in Hits, blocks and takeaways. OB had an inflated +/- because he played on a better offensive team.

Alberts made some stupid plays here and became a whipping boy, but I'd much rather have Alberts at 1 million than Obrien at 1.6.

I don't get why everyone loves OB so much? Because you were at a bar where he shotgunned a beer? The guy doesn't hit, hardly fights (and when he does he thinks it's smart to celebrate a draw), publicly bashes his coach, shows up overweight, and worst of all, can't play defense to save his life.

Drop the bum, and Bieksa too.
Alberts better than O'Brien?

Really?

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:08 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
I like the potential that Alberts brings. Not potential in him as a player, but potential as to what he can do when he learns our team and system a bit better. He's a better hitter and uses his size better than O'Brien. He looked lost last year, but so have alot of d-men who've come over at the trade deadline. We already know what we have in O'Brien for better or worse, I'd be for giving Alberts a shot as the #6 guy.
And then when it becomes obvious that he's really not that good?

Oh right, the guy who is already proven to be a solid bottom pairing guy is gone because Alberts is bigger.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Alberts better than O'Brien?

Really?
At a performance/money basis, yes. Really.

Prove to me otherwise.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:30 PM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
seriously, SOB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alberts, it's not even close.

Very happy with this signing, basically 100% chance Alberts and bieksa are both gone some how.
Alberts was parachuted into Vancouver last season and played in 24 Canucks games. Yes he looked terrible at times, but we're talking about less than 1/3 of a regular season under less than ideal circumstances. Can't draw too many conclusions from such a small sample.

Judging from their overall body of work, I'd say Alberts and O'Brien are similar contributors at the NHL level - decent third pairing defenders with little offense to speak of, punching above their weight when in the top four:

Player A
Quote:
ASSETS: Is a huge physical specimen and also an aggressive type by nature. Likes to lay on the body and owns some shutdown qualities.

FLAWS: Will never be a big point producer in the NHL. Struggles against quicker forwards that surpass him on the outside.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Physical depth defenseman.
Player B
Quote:
ASSETS: Is an impressive specimen who uses his size effectively. Can intimidate the opposition, fight on occasion and generally play an in-your-face style.

FLAWS: Struggles against quick forwards. Must avoid taking bad penalties that place his team in trouble. Doesn't have a ton of offensive ability.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Physical defenseman.
I could accept someone giving a slight edge to Shane O'Brien. To say "it's not even close" is reaching.

RobsonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsonStreet View Post
could accept someone giving a slight edge to Shane O'Brien. To say "it's not even close" is reaching.
Alberts was quite a bit slower than SOB last year. Both of them are the same size. Alberts did have a few good moments with the 'nucks but they were few and far between. He does not have the skillset to jump in and step into a top 4 role (when others are injuried).

SOB (pre to the O-break) was great for us when Salo, Willie, and Bieksa was out. He basically stepped into a top 4 role... even top 3 you can say behind Elder and Ehrhoff and did NOT look out of place for that period of time. He played quite a bit as a top 4 dman for us pre break. Too bad he gained like 15 pounds after the break and went back to his old self (taking dumb PIMs). The upside for SOB is there and if he keeps his head in the game, stays in shape, he is actually a lot better than Alberts. That is a lot of ifs but the possibility is there and often time you pay for the upside.

All that said, still given our situation, if we can somehow fit Willie in as #6, he would be a better solution.

The question i have about that is... how does the CBA work in terms of IR? Does the playoff count or is the playoff removed? Willie missed < 100 days pre-playoffs but if you add the playoffs, he gets over 100 and thus can be signed for performance bonus 1 year contract.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

I agree that SOB <> Alberts

* Skillset are similar

* SOB's on-ice tool-box >> Alberts

* SOB's off-ice tool-box << Alberts

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
At a performance/money basis, yes. Really.

Prove to me otherwise.
Go rewatch the playoff's, that's all the proof you need.

Alberts made more turnovers then bieksa did in half the ice time, he was dreadful, and a laughing stock on the forums, which was justified.

While SOB stepped up, played a top 4 roll on this team, and did really well, took barely any penalties as well.

It's not all about stats

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Go rewatch the playoff's, that's all the proof you need.

Alberts made more turnovers then bieksa did in half the ice time, he was dreadful, and a laughing stock on the forums, which was justified.

While SOB stepped up, played a top 4 roll on this team, and did really well, took barely any penalties as well.

It's not all about stats
It's a tale of two series', really...

Round 1 - Alberts' boondoggle through Games 1 and 2 was well documented.

Round 2 - SOB's lack of discipline was a major contributing factor to at least one of the Game 3 or 4 losses.

SOB had a quiet but productive Round 1 while Alberts struggled, and the inverse was true for Round 2. IMO.

EDIT: SOB had 25 PIM through 12 games, hardly "no penalties". 12 came in Game 3 against Chicago, another 4 in Game 4.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
That's Mariana Trench deep.

Some part of me wants Gillis to keep all of the defensemen. Just keep 'em all. That way, when the Canucks Playoff Curse arrives, and 30% of our defence gets wiped out by injury, there's a good chance some quality players will remain standing.
it also puts us $3.075m+ over cap.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:43 PM
JuniorNelson

I agree with DM, find a way to stockpile defencemen! Play them as fourth line forwards, for example. Hide the cheap ones in the minors. This division produces injuries, every year, why not prepare for it!

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Seems SOB does have some brains after all. Who knew?

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:58 PM
timw33

Bieksa + SOB/Alberts must go.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Bullet Tooth Tony

As much as I like O'Brien, I do think he could very well be on his way out of town. Working in his favor is that he has more upside than Alberts, is well-liked in the room and is a Gillis guy, but he also has better trade value. I could see him potentially bringing back a depth forward for the lower lines. Alberts gets an unfair amount of flak IMO. He had never played in the Western conference before and had to learn on the fly. I thought that by the end of the playoffs, he had adjusted rather well and showed that he could be a serviceable reserve defenseman.

OT but I wonder if Gillis would ever bring Lukowich back? I'm not sure of his health status, but I would think that he wouldn't exactly get an abundance of calls, and probably would love to stay in the organization. He could probably be buried in the minors, and would offer us a solid alternative for a #8 guy. Just a random thought.

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:34 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Considering a lot the media uses CapGeek, they probably have a NHL source sending them all these details.

SOB's QO probably isn't on the top of the list of things guys like LeBrun, Dreger, Mackenzie, etc are looking into.
Capgeek's founder Matthew Wuest is a follower of these guys (LeBrun, Dreger, Mackenzie, etc) on Twitter and during this UFA season has been updating immediately as those reporters post (and notifying as such on the CapGeek Twitter account)

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:49 PM
DoubleTrouble

I'm happy he took his offer.. SOB is by far one of the most popular players on the team, And has by far the best Name in Hockey (SOB).

1.6 for a 6th d-men is alright by me

SOB is gonna turn his life around. He is on a one year deal and is a UFA at the end of this season.. He knows if he wants to keep playing hockey and make some real money, He will have to stick to his diet and stay away from the bars.

Watch for SOB to have a good season.

DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:00 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
I'm happy he took his offer.. SOB is by far one of the most popular players on the team, And has by far the best Name in Hockey (SOB).

SOB is gonna turn his life around. He is on a one year deal and is a UFA at the end of this season.. He knows if he wants to keep playing hockey and make some real money, He will have to stick to his diet and stay away from the bars.

POS could give his nickname a run for its money.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:36 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post

I don't see how that's true... sounds to me like he wouldn't be missed at all if he was moved. teammates didn't seem too happy with him during his last problem with the Canucks, when he slept in and came in very late to practice... never really heard anything overly positive about him from his teammates, and Gillis has said plenty to make me think he's not too popular with him.

My guess is if he's moved, no one will care at all.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I don't see how that's true... sounds to me like he wouldn't be missed at all if he was moved. teammates didn't seem too happy with him during his last problem with the Canucks, when he slept in and came in very late to practice... never really heard anything overly positive about him from his teammates, and Gillis has said plenty to make me think he's not too popular with him.

My guess is if he's moved, no one will care at all.
It will break Mason Raymond's heart.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:42 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
It will break Mason Raymond's heart.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote