HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Protecting stick blades?

Old
06-22-2010, 11:36 PM
djcreepshow

vCash: 500
Protecting stick blades?

Ok, this may be an odd question. Does anyone have any good methods of covering/coating the bottom of a wooden blade to keep it from wearing down or splintering? I play ball hockey in a gym and I recently purchased a Sher-Wood 5030 SC stick. I absolutely love the stick but am concerned about the bottom of the blade wearing down and/or splintering quickly. I tried using shin pad tape on the blade (in place of hockey tape). It worked quite well for much of the night but had worn through later on. The tape was great, it didn't stick to the floor or the ball. I am going to try covering the bottom of the blade with a strip or two of the tape first and then taping the whole blade as before with the shin pad tape.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Just wondering. Thanks!

Oh yeah, this may sound nuts, but has anyone ever tried using Toe Pro to coat the bottom of a stick blade?

djcreepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:26 AM
hoonking

If its a smooth floor I would imagine that regular stick tape would work. Put a piece on the bottom and then tape it normally.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:02 AM
WickedWrister

You're probably not going to like this, but I'd say get a 2 piece stick with an ABS blade.

ABS blades are made from some harder material, and take a while to wear down. like $17 if you can find them online. When one of the blades wears down eventually, just pop a new one in

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:44 AM
djcreepshow

It is a smooth floor, but other guys who use regular tape say that it still wears down fairly quickly. Also, I find that regular stick tape tends to be a bit stickier on the floor.

I do have a couple of plastic/ABS blade sticks: A Mylec Air-Flo and an Easton ABS wood stick with the ABS blade molded to it. Both are fine sticks (although the Easton is quite a bit heavier), I just love the feel of the all wood 5030. It's really light and I find I get better shot with it. I don't want a 2 piece stick with a wooden blade because I prefer the feel of the wooden shaft and largely because I just don't want to use a non-wood stick on principle. I'm old-school and I hate how composite and 2 piece sticks have taken over from the classic wood stick. I guess I'm just old and stubborn.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Old
06-23-2010, 09:55 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Have you tried regular tape and waxing the crap out of it

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:57 AM
noobman

I would recommend a road hockey stick (usually has a hard rubber blade) or one of those fibreglass hockey sticks.

For ball hockey, I always stuck my tape horizontally against my blade instead of wrapping it vertically.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 08:42 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

When I have a serious problem with this, I usually just put an extra strip or two of tape along the bottom of the blade before each practice. If it wears through, tear off and repeat.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:04 AM
WickedWrister

I personally don't tape my stick for ball hockey. There is a difference in the way that a ball and a puck interact with the tape on a stick. I feel that stickhandeling with a ball/tape makes the puck stick to the tape and doesn't let me handle it the way I want to.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd probably do a couple strips of electrical or shin tape on the bottom but I don't play ball hockey. And if I did, I'd use a shaft and ABS blade.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 06:56 PM
djcreepshow

I play tomorrow night and have put 2 strips along the bottom length of the blade and then taped over the whole blade as usual all with the shinpad tape, so we'll see how that works. I found that the shinpad tape didn't adversely affect ball control. In fact, I think it may have actually improved it a little. It felt very natural and I even scored a couple more goals than usual (not that I score that many anyway).

Still lovin' the 5030. Hooray for wooden sticks!

Old
06-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Badger36

Id suggest getting a roller hockey stick with a plastic/rubber blade or getting a 2-piece stick and swapping out the blade.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
genghiz9000

abs blade

or just put a strip of tape at the bottom every time you play - that's what i do

genghiz9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:14 PM
TheUndertow40Six2

I haven't tried this with wood blades, but Protec-Toe works great for composites. Do several layers along the edge of the blade, allowing about 12 hours between each application. This won't do anything for repair, but for prevention, it works wonders. This is what I recomend to just about any player who chips the top of the blade on faceoffs, or for those who are prone to splitting the toe.

TheUndertow40Six2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:41 AM
djcreepshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndertow40Six2 View Post
I haven't tried this with wood blades, but Protec-Toe works great for composites. Do several layers along the edge of the blade, allowing about 12 hours between each application. This won't do anything for repair, but for prevention, it works wonders. This is what I recomend to just about any player who chips the top of the blade on faceoffs, or for those who are prone to splitting the toe.
I've considered trying that. I think I might pick up a bottle today and give it a try for Sunday. The bottom of the wood blade is worn a little but is still in very good shape.

I tried putting a couple of strips length-wise along the bottom of the blade and then taping the blade as usual (with the shinpad tape) and it still wore through. I'm thinking the Protec-Toe stuff might e my last option. Otherwise, I guess I'll just keep re-taping the blade.

Thanks, everyone!

Old
06-30-2010, 02:26 PM
frito

You could try placing a trip of duct tape length wise on the bottom of the stick and then taping it up with regular stick tape. As a previous poster suggeted, wax the heck out of it, at leasst the bottom anyway, after taping if you're worried about sticking.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I use a 5030 too when I play roller hockey and although it wears down it seems to be wearing down really smooth for me. There are no splinters or anything like that. I don't put anything on the stick b/c first off it is a reallty cheap stick ($30) and I am not all that worried about it wearing down. And secondly there is really no need for tape when you are playing a ball or roller hockey.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
djcreepshow

If the Protec-Toe doesn't work I think I might just say the heck with taping it. I was just being anal and trying to prolong the life of the blade. Although, I must say I do like the feel of the Shinpad tape on the blade, so I might keep doing that and just re-taping it every week. When it wears out, I'll just grab another one. I agree ChiTownHawks, it is wearing very smoothly which is cool.

Old
07-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
I always put a strip of electrical tape on the bottom before using hockey tape to tape up the rest of the stick ... when I played on ice it kept the blade from splintering and coming apart and soaking up water. Should be helpful on floor as well though.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:40 AM
djcreepshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
I always put a strip of electrical tape on the bottom before using hockey tape to tape up the rest of the stick ... when I played on ice it kept the blade from splintering and coming apart and soaking up water. Should be helpful on floor as well though.
I've been wondering if that would work. I may give it a try. Thanks!

Old
07-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Khabby

This may sound a bit weird but I did this a year or so ago to keep my stick from wearing on pavement. Worked alright but Pavement is a *****, so I went to ABS blades. But anyways, I think this would work good for gym floor anyways. Get some toe tack that you can buy for skates at a LHS, its only like 5$ or so. Anyways put a coating of that on the bottom of you stick and sand any weird rough edges down and maybe put another coat on it and repeat. It hardens up and if you sand it nice and smooth it will act as a nice coating on the bottom of your stick to help reduce wearing. Like I said, Very weird

EDIT - Ahaha Woops, Should of read all the replys first I guess, someone already said it Ahaha. Guess its good to know im not the only one!

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghiz9000 View Post
abs blade

or just put a strip of tape at the bottom every time you play - that's what i do
Yeah, tape gets worn away in about 3 seconds of play on pavement.

I tried popcans, doesn't work either. Lasts about 10 seconds.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
djcreepshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khabby View Post
This may sound a bit weird but I did this a year or so ago to keep my stick from wearing on pavement. Worked alright but Pavement is a *****, so I went to ABS blades. But anyways, I think this would work good for gym floor anyways. Get some toe tack that you can buy for skates at a LHS, its only like 5$ or so. Anyways put a coating of that on the bottom of you stick and sand any weird rough edges down and maybe put another coat on it and repeat. It hardens up and if you sand it nice and smooth it will act as a nice coating on the bottom of your stick to help reduce wearing. Like I said, Very weird

EDIT - Ahaha Woops, Should of read all the replys first I guess, someone already said it Ahaha. Guess its good to know im not the only one!
Haha, no worries! Khabby, I see you're from Halifax too. Woo! I looked for the Protec-Toe/Toe Pro stuff at Cleve's downtown but they only had it in black, which would mark up the gym floor. I'm looking for some of the clear stuff, have you seen any around? I may make a few calls tomorrow.

What does LHS stand for?

Old
07-06-2010, 08:44 PM
ponder

Another vote for "just get an ABS blade," that way you don't have to worry about any sort of taping at all. Should only run you about $30 for a decently light wood stick with ABS blade, should be able to find a selection of at least a few in most hockey stores. If you wanted to get real fancy you could get a 2 piece, a composite shaft with an ABS blade, but that seems more than a little unnecessary for road hockey.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:19 PM
djcreepshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Another vote for "just get an ABS blade," that way you don't have to worry about any sort of taping at all. Should only run you about $30 for a decently light wood stick with ABS blade, should be able to find a selection of at least a few in most hockey stores. If you wanted to get real fancy you could get a 2 piece, a composite shaft with an ABS blade, but that seems more than a little unnecessary for road hockey.
I have a couple of plastic/ABS blade sticks already. A Mylec Air-Flow and an Easton with an ABS blade. Both are fine sticks (although the Easton is a little heavy), but I've been spoiled by the Sher-Wood 5030. I also have a couple of CCM Vector 04 wood/fibreglass sticks that have been my favourite ball hockey sticks for quite a while now. Sunday night I brought my 5030 and a CCM with me. I switched up part way through one of the games to see how the CCM felt and within about 5 minutes I switched back to the 5030. Also, I can't stand the feel of a composite stick (blade or shaft),it just doesn't feel right and they are too damn expensive for my wallet.

I'll try to find some of the clear Toe-Pro stuff and if I can't the shin tape seems to at least be slowing down the blade wear. The blade is still in great shape so it's no biggie. Besides, I'm off to buy another 5030 (or maybe a 7000 or 9950) tomorrow. Thank you GST cheque!!