HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Re-Open Contract Talks With Asham

Old
07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Centauris*

vCash: 500
Sigh... Carcillo is one of my favorite players (flame me.. i don't care) sad to see him go. hopefully the ****ing Penguins don't sign him or something

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Right, but the insinuation was that they were completely uninterested in offering 3-years to him.

I remain so pissed off we signed Leighton prior to the market opening.
Turco might, ya know, be willing to accept lower money but not want to have to compete for the starting job.

Also, Asham is getting interest from 6 teams now (5 teams reportedly were interested before the Flyers re-entered talks) so his price is going to be significantly higher than if we would have just simply re-signed him before.

Homer is a toolbag.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Outside of the 17 games of suck, we were one of the best teams night-in and night-out in the NHL. True story.
You must of missed the first few months of the season where the only team under us in the standings was Toronto. Factual true store.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Flyersguru

Asham will not be signed and Carcillo isn't going anywheres.

This is all to get Carcillo to sign cheaply before his arbitration hearing.

It's 50/50 if Powe comes back.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
You must of missed the first few months of the season where the only team under us in the standings was Toronto. Factual true store.
Like when we started 12-5-1?

Take out the 3-13-1 stretch, and until we had Leighton go down we were playing at like 114 point pace.

So, apparently you're the one that was missing the season. The reason I was so infuriated at the trade deadline was because there was every reason to believe that our team could compete for the Cup if we had the goalie.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
I dont recall any flyers being ran without responsen the last few seasons either.
A -train on Gagne.

Orr & Rosehill did whatever they wanted in the games in TOR.

Other then those I agree. They should have went with Scott or Ivannans for $1M less considering you only need them @ 30 gms a season.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Meh, if they can sign someone else, him or Boucher will spent the year in Glens Falls. Competition for the backup goaltending spot can be good.
If we sign another goalie we need to unload Boucher's contract...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalltalk10 View Post
Sigh... Carcillo is one of my favorite players (flame me.. i don't care) sad to see him go. hopefully the ****ing Penguins don't sign him or something
He'd fit right in with the diving.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
A -train on Gagne.

Orr & Rosehill did whatever they wanted in the games in TOR.

Other then those I agree. They should have went with Scott or Ivannans for $1M less considering you only need them @ 30 gms a season.
Carcillo made Orr look like a complete jackass, which is exactly how you should deal with those types. The era of the "enforcer" is gone as a real valuable player.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Like when we started 12-5-1?

Take out the 3-13-1 stretch, and until we had Leighton go down we were playing at like 114 point pace.

So, apparently you're the one that was missing the season. The reason I was so infuriated at the trade deadline was because there was every reason to believe that our team could compete for the Cup if we had the goalie.
There are times when I almost wished this team would have bit the bullet and just got Vokoun. Sure, we'd have a bunch more holes on the team and our cap situation may well be even more ****ed than it is right now but, damn, that mother****er can stop some pucks.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:21 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Sign him two years at a slight raise (0.70m), and send Shelley to the A-freaking-H-L.

Please, for the love of god, just do it.
Quote:
The 32-year-old Asham had a career-best postseason in 2010, recording four goals and seven points. He is said to be seeking a multi-year contract and a substantial pay increase from the $640,000 he earned the previous two seasons with the Flyers.
Good luck.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:22 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
If we sign another goalie we need to unload Boucher's contract...

He'd fit right in with the diving.
Why? 1 year $900K as the backup in the AHL is fine.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Why? 1 year $900K as the backup in the AHL is fine.
Bob and Backlund need to be the goalies there this year.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:25 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Bob and Backlund need to be the goalies there this year.
True, I guess.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:29 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Good, I'd rather have him right now than Carcillo.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:30 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Carcillo made Orr look like a complete jackass, which is exactly how you should deal with those types. The era of the "enforcer" is gone as a real valuable player.
At the one home game he did but for the most part TOR pushed the Flyers around in their games. Asham finally stood up to Orr in the last game after Powe was run and Asham was obviously out of his league.

I think it's a ploy to scare Carcillo as well. Asham probably signs on the Isle where they need to spend to make the salary floor.

Having Asham and Shelley would kill what Lavi wants to do with pressure.

The hot forward will get double shifted with Betts and Lappy most nights and paying customers will get their pound of flesh with SHelley on most nights then when the playoffs roll around he'll watch from the press box like most enforcers.

Obviously, he was given too much dough but guys like Dave Brown and Godard are loved by their teammates for making them feel a little taller and a little braver for first 82 games even if they don't dress for the playoffs.

I remember Messier taking the cup to Brown in EDM before most of the guys that played got it. Hopefully, Richards can do the same.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:37 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

ash is one of my favs!

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
True, I guess.
I just can't see putting one in the ECHL if you're trying to figure out if they're NHL material short-term.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
At the one home game he did but for the most part TOR pushed the Flyers around in their games. Asham finally stood up to Orr in the last game after Powe was run and Asham was obviously out of his league.

I think it's a ploy to scare Carcillo as well. Asham probably signs on the Isle where they need to spend to make the salary floor.

Having Asham and Shelley would kill what Lavi wants to do with pressure.

The hot forward will get double shifted with Betts and Lappy most nights and paying customers will get their pound of flesh with SHelley on most nights then when the playoffs roll around he'll watch from the press box like most enforcers.

Obviously, he was given too much dough but guys like Dave Brown and Godard are loved by their teammates for making them feel a little taller and a little braver for first 82 games even if they don't dress for the playoffs.

I remember Messier taking the cup to Brown in EDM before most of the guys that played got it. Hopefully, Richards can do the same.
I think it's the realization that it's very unlikely we're going to be able to afford/want to pay Carcillo.

Powe is a better all-around hockey player... but even he shouldn't be on a 3rd line ideally.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Viller

Quote:
No more playoff success either, because we'll be two lines of skill deep instead of 3 or 4.
Name me one team with 4 skill lines, even 3(dont tell me pittsburgh, they barely have 2). We've been very lucky the last few years BUT the Flyers weren't deep at as they are now on D and goaltending as stayed the same.

I rather have this defence than 3 "scoring" lines. Its practically impossible to keep 3 scoring lines together because 100% of the time, the 3rd line is composed of players on ELCs (or those ELCs are spread out on the top lines, wich makes it even worse because they will produce more...)

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Name me one team with 4 skill lines, even 3(dont tell me pittsburgh, they barely have 2). We've been very lucky the last few years BUT the Flyers weren't deep at as they are now on D and goaltending as stayed the same.

I rather have this defence than 3 "scoring" lines. Its practically impossible to keep 3 scoring lines together because 100% of the time, the 3rd line is composed of players on ELCs (or those ELCs are spread out on the top lines, wich makes it even worse because they will produce more...)
Which is why, of course, we should be looking for a 3rd line center, not a scoring winger.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Larry44

Quote:
No more playoff success either, because we'll be two lines of skill deep instead of 3 or 4.
I'd like to see a line of Cote-Shelley-Asham. Would be the worst Flyer line since the Dan Line.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Which is why, of course, we should be looking for a 3rd line center, not a scoring winger.
One of the many travesties...

Keep the 4th line intact, add a true 3rd line center and this team has an offensively and defensively gifted 3rd line and a 4th line that is the envy of the league defensively.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Garbage Goal

I hate people (a few in this topic) that act like the NHL is Slapshots and you need a useless goon to play for you so that you don't get "ran over" and "pushed around".

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Garbage Goal

As for the Asham thing, I'm gonna agree with Jester.

The summer of "no ****ing plan and Homer lying out of his ass" continues.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:51 PM
flyersguy33*

Its either Asham or Carcillo, no need or room for both. If we sign Carcillo there is absolutely no point for Asham to be on the team, well there would be if we didnt have All-Star Shelley on our team.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote