HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Re-Open Contract Talks With Asham

Old
07-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Your really siding with Homer with all he has done? Anybody can take a last place team with money, overspend for a bunch of players and become good....anybody

EDIT: I dont really consider Kimo overspended though. We needed a #1 defender and it happened.

If Mike Richards didnt all of a sudden decide he wanted to be a ppg player, we would be no where near where we are now. The only trade I really liked that Homer did was the Forsberg trade (which then netted us Kimo and Hartnell), the Coburn trade, and the Leino trade.

Thats really it though.
All I said was Shelley is a good player to have on the 4th line. Homer paid too much for too long though. Homer has done brilliant and stupid things over the last few years and not much in between.

I like the Meszaros trade - instead of Volchenkov for 500k more. I like signing O'Donnell too. Now if Homer can trade Gagne and Carle for a combination of a 3rd line center, a less expensive winger, maybe a decent pick and some cap space - and then signs Turco for two years at 2.5 each - then maybe I will be happy depending on who the center and winger are.

If we start the season with Leighton and Boucher then I'll join everybody else and call him an idiot.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
What many still don't know is that Shelley doesn't PK. I just can't stomach his kind of contract to any bottom 6 player that doesn't have more than one role.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Gert B Frobe

What do Darryl Powe, Chris Therien and Shawn Antoski all have in common?

they were all the fastest skaters on their team and yes - they all sucked

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:41 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post

Erroneous.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Jester

Quote:

What reality do you live in?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
All I said was Shelley is a good player to have on the 4th line. Homer paid too much for too long though. Homer has done brilliant and stupid things over the last few years and not much in between.

I like the Meszaros trade - instead of Volchenkov for 500k more. I like signing O'Donnell too. Now if Homer can trade Gagne and Carle for a combination of a 3rd line center, a less expensive winger, maybe a decent pick and some cap space - and then signs Turco for two years at 2.5 each - then maybe I will be happy depending on who the center and winger are.

If we start the season with Leighton and Boucher then I'll join everybody else and call him an idiot.
Meszaros is a contract dump because he's been terrible on that deal, but you wouldn't want to pay 500K more for an absolute stud defensive D, with insane shot blocking ability? He's a younger version of Jason Smith.

Old
07-07-2010, 12:45 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What reality do you live in?
Chris Therien and the word fast was just used in the same sentence...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Chris Therien and the word fast was just used in the same sentence...
I have nothing good to say about Chris Therien.

Old
07-07-2010, 12:54 AM
jb**

Quote:
Well, that part of the story doesn't make sense... as we supposedly offered him a 3-year 6M contract.
which he turned down, maybe that offer isnt on the table any longer. Such a signing Leigthon, a real dope. As you said, he has no plan at all as to what he wants to do. For the life of me i cant figure out how anyone thinks he isa great or even good GM.

Wouldnt be shocked to see them sign Asham and let Carcillo walk, even though i thinks they let him walk regardless if he gets >=1.5 in arbitration.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:59 AM
jb**

Quote:
I just didn't like the three years with Lappy. I think you need to maintain flexibility at the bottom of your roster. Two-year deals for those guys is ideal... that's where the roster spots open up for young players breaking in and the like.
dont be surprised if Lappy retires. I said this a while ago.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Shelley is a big, intimidating guy who finishes all his checks, skates ok and can fight with anybody. I would take him over Powe or Carcillo any day. If you think a guy like Shelley is worthless in this league because it isn't "Slapshots" anymore then you know nothing about hockey. And why do you hate people just for disagreeing with you? You should talk to somebody about that - it's not healthy.
I guess you've never heard of hyperbole? Wow.

You'd take Shelley over Carcillo or Powe? Wow. That kind of shows that you're the one who doesn't know anything about hockey. Shelley can fight and can play low 4th line minutes on a good day. Powe can PK, can fight, check, is much faster, a decent hitter, and a better scorer then Shelley. He can also handle constant minutes and be a fixture in a lineup. Carcillo can agitate and draw a lot of penalties, fight, check, handle constant minutes and be a fixture in a lineup, and is a much better scorer then shelley. They're both also younger and likely make less.

What reason is there to have Shelley over Carcillo and Powe (and likely at more money and bigger contract length once all is said and done)?

Shelley is a fighter who can barely log any minutes and barely play. He doesn't play the PK and he's an average to below average 4th liner at best. Signing him makes literally no sense for this team therefore he sucks. His very small capabilities combined with his uselessness on this team combine to make him suck in our case.

You shoved words into my mouth. I didn't say Shelley is useless in this league. A crappier team could or a team without a goon could use Shelley, but he's absolutely useless for us. In fact, he probably hurts us more then he helps us due to his cap hit and contract length.

The Slapshots thing was in reference to a few ridiculous people who were trying to excuse the Shelley signing as a way to save us from being "ran over" and "pushed around".

Quote:
Shelley is good to have on the 4th line on a team that has a need for a 4th liner. We didn't and don't. Especially not at his cap hit. We had the perfect fourth line in Lappy-Betts-Powe/Carcillo.

Quote:
I like the Meszaros trade - instead of Volchenkov for 500k more. I like signing O'Donnell too.
There was no reason to trade for Meszaros. Even if we over-payed Leighton and Shelley, which we did, we would still have enough to sign a Turco or Mason with the money we're spending on Meszaros. Instead, our starter is likely Leighton and we traded a 2nd rounder for an over-payed top four d-man to play on our third pairing. Yay.

Nobody really gives a crap about O'Donnell.

Quote:
Now if Homer can trade Gagne and Carle for a combination of a 3rd line center, a less expensive winger, maybe a decent pick and some cap space - and then signs Turco for two years at 2.5 each - then maybe I will be happy depending on who the center and winger are.
And you actually expect all that to happen?

If we trade Gagne then it's another step back. If we trade Carle then it makes trading for Meszaros about ten times worse. If we trade Gagne then there's no way in hell we get a winger anywhere near his caliber in return and it's unlikely that we get a top six winger back at all.

Quote:
So you're excusing all the stupid, senseless, dumbass decisions Homer has made this off-season because he hasn't totally finished screwing up yet? Awesome.

Quote:

That's just flat-out false.

If your opinion of Shelley is that he's a good fourth liner and your opinion of Powe is that he sucks then just lol.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 07-07-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:29 AM
Villedelphia*

^ lol

Last edited by Villedelphia*: 07-07-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:37 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

I'd rather have Powe.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Sign him two years at a slight raise (0.70m), and send Shelley to the A-freaking-H-L.

Please, for the love of god, just do it.
If you want that to happen, you better hope for another GM. Holmgren doesnt operate like that. He wouldnt send Cote to the AHL. He isnt going to send Shelley there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
I've said enough about 5-6 different threads on this subject.

I've got crow waiting for everyone here when you absolutely love him.

No more Flyers getting ran at without response.
Jody Shelley sucks
his contracts sucks
Holmgren is a retard for giving Shelley over 3 million plus over 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Homer lying is nothing new from a Flyers front office figurehead. Just have the tread carefully when reading.

As for the summer of no plan...I guess we should have know better. It's not like there has been a plan in place since 2006. Holmgren has always been a "we'll cross that road when we get to it" operator.
Clarke did his fare share of lying as well. At least with Clarke he had a poker face and could negotiate with the best of em. Holmgren is well, lets just say on the other end of the spectrum in that department.

Quote:
Shelley is a big, intimidating guy who finishes all his checks, skates ok and can fight with anybody. I would take him over Powe or Carcillo any day. If you think a guy like Shelley is worthless in this league because it isn't "Slapshots" anymore then you know nothing about hockey. And why do you hate people just for disagreeing with you? You should talk to somebody about that - it's not healthy.
LOL. He isnt a good hockey player. He barely deserves half of what he got. Of course we know what will happen. First home game of the season, on his first shift he will fight someone and the Philly crowd will love him.

Quote:

Powe could beat Therien in a race skating backwards. I would take Powe on this team any day of the week over Shelley. At least Powe serves a purpose. Shelley sucks.

Oh and whoever mentioned Ivanans earlier, LOL. Ivanans makes Shelley look like a 3rd line forward.
oh wait a minute.......

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Bryz4shiz

I like Asham and he's clearly a lot better than Shelley, but I'd rather have Powe because he can actually PK pretty well.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:13 AM
dookie88

If Turco really desparetly wants to play here, there's no reason to sign him to a multi-year deal.
He doesn't have any arguments in negotiations and giving Turco who hasn't played well in two years more than a one year deal would be stupid.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:32 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
If Turco really desparetly wants to play here, there's no reason to sign him to a multi-year deal.
He doesn't have any arguments in negotiations and giving Turco who hasn't played well in two years more than a one year deal would be stupid.
There is one reason, Holmgren's understanding of the salary cap

I can't believe Turco is practically harassing to join us

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
I'm pretty sure getting a team to the 6th game of the Finals isn't going to do it.

Go find a Phillies forum somewhere and ***** about Amaro and how Halladay was a waste of a trade.
Well, the irony here is the Phillies hold the same Boys Club Front Office philosophy as the Flyers.

Holmgren's already using a tremendous amount of his goodwill from the Cup run through the fan base (evident here). But I guess I'm just a fan who doesn't know nearly enough and should bow down before Holmgren's feet, because he's clearly qualified to be a GM and the Shelley signing hasn't been any sort of immediate impediment whatsoever.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:10 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
I have nothing good to say about Chris Therien.
hes great in the booth. hes quite knowladgable about the game and isnt afraid to call guys out when they arent hustling or make a boneheaded mistake. hes also pretty quick with the witty comments and his "well in my day "stories arent so old as to be like who is he talking about. hes a really good anouncer. but yeah he pretty much brought the suck as a player.

and this does scream negotiating ploy/emergency valve for carcillo.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:40 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
But the fact is Turco wants to play in Philly. So much so that he has his representatives calling Holmgren almost daily, according to a team source.

If that is true... :

WHY NOT OFFER TURCO A 3 YEAR DEAL? If we can't win with Turco in 3 years we aren't winning again for a while..
Because of two reasons.

1. Homer is fine starting with Leighton if necessary.

2. If Turco isn't signed yet, no one is really that interested in him. Of course he's going to call daily. Right now he's out of the job.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:19 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Exactly. If they trade Gagne away, sign Turco cheap for one-year, and continue negotiations later in the season if he performs. Go for something like $2 to $2.5 Million.

Then, depending on what they get back from Gagne trade, work on Carcillo/Powe/Asham.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:36 AM
JVR21
G

Who needs Asham? He's a grinder who can fight and score. pssshh.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:17 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Because of two reasons.

1. Homer is fine starting with Leighton if necessary.

2. If Turco isn't signed yet, no one is really that interested in him. Of course he's going to call daily. Right now he's out of the job.
because there is no market now for Turco, or for Nabokov right now. teams have already made their moves.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:21 AM
mm6492

If Gagne gets traded, we loose a PK'r. With Powe leaving, thats another PK'r.

Great!!!

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
hes great in the booth. hes quite knowladgable about the game and isnt afraid to call guys out when they arent hustling or make a boneheaded mistake. hes also pretty quick with the witty comments and his "well in my day "stories arent so old as to be like who is he talking about. hes a really good anouncer. but yeah he pretty much brought the suck as a player.
I actually find him tremendously irritating whenever I listen to the radio feed. However, I'll just flatly say that I find that whole broadcast is terribly annoying. The goal calls are like scraping a chalkboard.

Quote:
and this does scream negotiating ploy/emergency valve for carcillo.
Eh, I don't think so... I think it screams "oh **** we're not going to be able to afford him!"