HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal

Old
06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
all the more reason for jr to trade him now, i know he has improved but he is still my least favorite top d man we've ever had. hes not a leader, he isnt a great defensive guy, and if you pay a guy that much he should be at least one of those things.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:40 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
all the more reason for jr to trade him now, i know he has improved but he is still my least favorite top d man we've ever had. hes not a leader, he isnt a great defensive guy, and if you pay a guy that much he should be at least one of those things.
He was ranked 15 among all defensemen in points, thats what is gonna get him a pay day. There isnt a team out there that wouldnt want a top 15 defensemen on their team. And he really aint bad defensively, most underrated player. Our defense was that much worse when he was out.

Anyway this MStaal thing is just a dream. We would have to unload Pits in order to clear the money for Staal whose rumored to be looking for 4years, 4M. I dont see the Rags taking on Pits 4.5M salary when they can just re-sign their stud

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

And if Pits market value is 5.5-6 mil, then we can afford, esp. with Brindy and Samsonov coming off the books. That's only a raise of 1-1.5 mil from what he is making currently!

But if JR lets him walk, or trades him for scrubs, then i will be pissed. Guys like Joni only appear in the entire league once in a blue moon, and he practically fell into our lap! So im going to take us passing on the stud d-men in the draft and say the talks are already under way...

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

You do realize that if we dont have Brindy, Sammy, and Whitney, we can afford Staal and more.. Plus take into account the fact that Whitney (2mil), Carson (522,000) and Picard (850,000) off the books covers 3.372 of 4 mil (expected for Staal) so really, we are only looking for an extra .628 for Staal. Why in the world wold we have to get rid of Pits? Plus, between Staal and Gleason and hopefully McBain, we should be able to cover the absence of Pitkanen after this season, although maybe not fully, if he decides to test the market and not take a hometown discount.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Marc Staal is likely a dream, I'm sure the Rangers will re-sign him and give him what he wants. Can't see them losing him. I will say though, there isn't a prospect in our cupboard nor a roster player not named Staal, Sutter or Ward I wouldn't package up, somehow, someway, for Marc Staal. Though I'm pretty sure if JR called in regards for Marc, Sathers first 2 words would be - Brandon Sutter.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

The Rangers supposedly offered 3.5 a year for 4 years, and that offer is "a chasm" of difference between what Staal wants.

Still think we can afford him?

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:50 PM
AD Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
The Rangers supposedly offered 3.5 a year for 4 years, and that offer is "a chasm" of difference between what Staal wants.

Still think we can afford him?
Somebody will pay him what he wants if the Rangers don't. Staal's only going to get better; they'd be foolish not to just pay up, in my opinion.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

There's a question if they even can. Gaborik's making 7, Drury as well, Redden's 6.5, Rozival's 5, and King Henrik is 7.

That's 32+ between five players. If Staal wants a big payraise from 3.5, that's a lot between six players.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:02 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoochNorris View Post
Without getting too specific, I will say that there would be bodily fluids flowing inside my pants if Marc Staal played here. He would instantly turn the defense from scarily mediocre to pretty sturdy, even if (maybe especially if) Babchuk was headed to Broadway.
this one totally cracked me up.
"without getting too specific..."
i think i'm going to start every conversation i have from now on that way.
consider this a nomination for the post of the month.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:05 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I would forget it. Marc is going to cost at least Sutter/McBain

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Money is nothing to the Rangers. if need be, I'm quite sure they'd go as far as putting Redden or Rozsival in the AHL to spare the cash for Staal.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-28-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:17 PM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Marc Staal is likely a dream, I'm sure the Rangers will re-sign him and give him what he wants. Can't see them losing him. I will say though, there isn't a prospect in our cupboard nor a roster player not named Staal, Sutter or Ward I wouldn't package up, somehow, someway, for Marc Staal. Though I'm pretty sure if JR called in regards for Marc, Sathers first 2 words would be - Brandon Sutter.
to get something of value you have to give up something of value--personally a deal around these two would be agreeable to me. or i wonde if a deal around our 1st pick next year would be a possibility?

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
bleedgreen

the rangers need defense as much as we do. if they traded staal they would likely want d back.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Perfect, they can have Babchuck + Harrison lol

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:36 PM
AD Skinner

Thanks knucklehead3k; sweet avatar too by the way.

What if the deal involved Babchuk and a prospect like a Dalpe/Osala/Tlusty? If I were Sather I wouldn't take it, but then I wouldn't have made a lot of the moves he's made. Or is a trade even a possibility as Staal will be a free agent if the Rangers don't sign him? I do think he's a very good defenseman and would be worth every penny of 3.5 a year, but I don't know that he'd be worth dramatically more than that. I could see paying him 5 mil a year, absolute max. Of course that would conflict with the bottom line that's so important to Karmanos, who seems to think that he can make money on a team that doesn't win many games.

I really do hope that we'll get some form of defensive help in free agency or trade. Just having one more decent defenseman could make a lot of difference; as it stands there are only two players that we know can be relied upon on the blueline. That's not enough.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Sather would hang up the phone if that were the offer. Yes, he's an idiot and spends like a drunken sailor in a ***** house during free agency but he's actually a pretty good negotiator when it comes to trades.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
totalkev

Boychuk and a No. 1.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
Sather would hang up the phone if that were the offer. Yes, he's an idiot and spends like a drunken sailor in a ***** house during free agency but he's actually a pretty good negotiator when it comes to trades.
Yeah he somehow got Montreal to take Gomez and get McDonagh in return.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Chrispy

Any deal for Marc Staal would probably start with Gleason. Given they drafted McIlrath, their toughness issue at the NHL level is an issue at the lower levels as well. They'll want a tough defenseman in return, and Gleason would be it.

So I see where an acquisition of Marc Staal would be possible, but it would leave the blue line with a similar number of holes. The result would effectively be the Canes fully admitting their screw-up in the 2005 draft.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:00 AM
urho

vCash: 695
I think Marc Staal isn't coming but do you think Canes would pay for example Lydman or Tallinder 3M++$ to get little more experience on our D? Both are extremely steady, defensively responsible guys who we need.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Joe McGrath

http://www.fromtherink.com/2010/6/30...n-brother-eric

This was written 2 days after I started this post. Unfortunately it also has original ideas in it so my intellectual property lawsuit may not have merit. Drat.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote