HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Alexandre Giroux an oiler please

Old
03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
asguard99

vCash: 500
Alexandre Giroux an oiler please

i think he is one of the best players not in the nhl and if i was the GM say tambs of the oilers i would think about getting him in the offseason and this is why, hes got good size at 6'2 an oiler need a good set of hands as shown with 60 goals last year and 32 this year again an oiler need hes 28-29 years old in his prime years.he would be a cheap contract, a bonus and averages almost 1.5 points per game in the ahl over the last 2 years and would take some pressure off the young kids like eberle and mps what do u think?

asguard99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Rumblick

I like watching him in Hershey, but the fact is that he's been with 4 NHL organizations and has never broken through. His game (waiting for breaks and setups, little attention to defense, virtually no physical aspect to his game) simply doesn't translate. It'd be interesting to see what he'd do with a full 40-game shot at the bigs, but I don't see any team giving him a real chance at this point. Honestly, if the Oilers signed him for next season, I'd be a pretty excited Oklahoma City fan.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 11:36 AM
NYR89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
I like watching him in Hershey, but the fact is that he's been with 4 NHL organizations and has never broken through. His game (waiting for breaks and setups, little attention to defense, virtually no physical aspect to his game) simply doesn't translate. It'd be interesting to see what he'd do with a full 40-game shot at the bigs, but I don't see any team giving him a real chance at this point. Honestly, if the Oilers signed him for next season, I'd be a pretty excited Oklahoma City fan.
This pretty much nails it on the head. Giroux isn't very fast either which hurts his game in the NHL. In the minors he can pretty much setup shop in zone and fire away. Even with all that, I hope he stays in Hershey forever

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:05 PM
smitty10

I don't think he'll ever be an NHL regular. He should go to Europe and collect a nice paycheck for a few years while he's in his prime. It will be better than collecting an AHL contract for the rest of his career.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:47 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Didn't Giroux just sign a contract extension with Washington?

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 10:56 AM
edmoil3

if i was giroux i would seek other employment with another organization with less depth . hes not getting any younger

edmoil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 12:56 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmoil3 View Post
if i was giroux i would seek other employment with another organization with less depth . hes not getting any younger
You are correct. The problem is that a stigma has been attached to the guy and subsequently there is little interest in him. He has to take the contracts from where they are offered.

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:26 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmoil3 View Post
Simply put, Giroux cannot play at the NHL level. He does not have the skills to be a 1st line forward at the NHL level nor does he have what it takes to be a 3rd/4th line grinder.

If Giroux leaves Washington/Hershey he would be best served in Europe as he would be a dominant player in a league like the DEL like he is in the AHL.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:37 AM
pelts35.com

There is a rumor on eliteprospects.com that Giroux could be headed to the KHL

http://translate.google.se/translate...3F&sl=ru&tl=en

Old
04-27-2010, 07:07 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Guy is Darren Haydar or Jason Krog. Too good for the AHL, and too North American to make a career in Europe.

When all is said and done, he'll have made a a whole lot of cash playing a game. Not NHL money, but if he saves smartly when he retires around 40 he will have a decent coaching/management job somewhere in hockey and never have to leave the game.

I know I'd swap career paths in a nano-second.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Rumblick

Looks like you got your wish.

Old
07-07-2010, 07:32 AM
pelts35.com

I wouldn't be surprised if he is placed on waivers by January. I can't believe that the Oilers gave him a one-way deal.

Old
07-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he is placed on waivers by January. I can't believe that the Oilers gave him a one-way deal.
They got him at near the minimum, so it's not that big a risk. They got Arsene from the Caps organization last season and he turned out to be a decent pickup, so maybe they feel they'll get lucky twice.

If he realizes that he has to play every night the way he did in the Calder Cup Finals (hitting, scoring and playing both ends of the rink), they could catch lightning in a bottle and he could do something with this opportunity. If this doesn't work, OKC's still getting a good player (though, if this chance doesnt pan out, he could be a serious head case by the time he gets back to the AHL).

Old
07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
They got him at near the minimum, so it's not that big a risk. They got Arsene from the Caps organization last season and he turned out to be a decent pickup, so maybe they feel they'll get lucky twice.

If he realizes that he has to play every night the way he did in the Calder Cup Finals (hitting, scoring and playing both ends of the rink), they could catch lightning in a bottle and he could do something with this opportunity. If this doesn't work, OKC's still getting a good player (though, if this chance doesnt pan out, he could be a serious head case by the time he gets back to the AHL).
Saying Arsene was a decent pickup is an overstatement IMO. He was mediocre in Springfield and was called into action for the Oilers only because they were devastated with injuries last year.

As for Giroux, I don't think it's a matter of realizing he has to play every night like he did in the finals. I don't think he is capable of playing like that in the NHL. It's not as if he is a young player on the way up. He is what he is. He's too good for the AHL, but he doesn't have the skills to play on the top lines in the NHL nor does he have the skills to play the grinding role either.

That said for a team down and out like Edmonton, looking to Giroux to drastically improve their team is hardly a good move.

Old
07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Saying Arsene was a decent pickup is an overstatement IMO. He was mediocre in Springfield and was called into action for the Oilers only because they were devastated with injuries last year.

As for Giroux, I don't think it's a matter of realizing he has to play every night like he did in the finals. I don't think he is capable of playing like that in the NHL. It's not as if he is a young player on the way up. He is what he is. He's too good for the AHL, but he doesn't have the skills to play on the top lines in the NHL nor does he have the skills to play the grinding role either.

That said for a team down and out like Edmonton, looking to Giroux to drastically improve their team is hardly a good move.
VERY mediocre. There were a lotta nights when he simply went through the motions. Then again so did the rest of that motley bunch the last 2 seasons.

scoob4093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:11 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093 View Post
VERY mediocre. There were a lotta nights when he simply went through the motions. Then again so did the rest of that motley bunch the last 2 seasons.
Arsene was fine on a Calder Cup winning team like the Bears as a depth dman not on an average team as a top dman. Even before the Falcons roster was depleted due all of the injuries in Edmonton he was exposed as a mediocre dman.

That said I would question Rum's point that the Oilers may get lucky twice. If Giroux pans out as Arsene did, then the Oilers will have made two mediocre signings of two former Hershey players.

Old
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Rumblick

[QUOTE=pelts35.com;26797352] Arsene was fine on a Calder Cup winning team like the Bears as a depth dman not on an average team as a top dman. Even before the Falcons roster was depleted due all of the injuries in Edmonton he was exposed as a mediocre dman.[quote]
Arsene was good enough to play 13 games for the Oilers. Yes it was due to injuries, and I'm not saying he's a top-pair d-man, but he's certainly not -the slug you seem to think he is.

Quote:
That said I would question Rum's point that the Oilers may get lucky twice. If Giroux pans out as Arsene did, then the Oilers will have made two mediocre signings of two former Hershey players.
The Oilers got exactly what they bargained for in Arsene - someone who could come up and fill in if holes developed. What they get from Giroux as opposed to their expectations remains to be seen. He may work out; he may not.

Quote:
No one has used the inane words "drastically improve" to describe this, until you did. The Oilers have a lot of holes to fill, and given Giroux's numbers the past two seasons, they figured "What the hell - let's take a shot". That's all this is; nothing more, nothing less. Don't wildly overstate your case just to make the downside more obvious. Let the season start, and see what happens.

Old
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
pelts35.com

Rum,

I know you are taking this a little personal since I'm talking about two former Bears, but there's no reason to throw in the "inane words" phrase so let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
pelts35.com

Well in the preseason Giroux scored 1 goal in 4 games and has earned a spot on the waiver wire. He's now headed to Oklahoma City.

Looks like my prediction for being on waivers by January was optimistic. But, for Giroux, he'll earn $500,000 to play in the AHL.

Old
10-28-2010, 11:02 PM
ChicagoWolves1

That guy can play. I saw him last night with OKC score 2 goals and beat the Wolves single-handedly.

ChicagoWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Oilfan66

Quote:
Well in the preseason Giroux scored 1 goal in 4 games and has earned a spot on the waiver wire. He's now headed to Oklahoma City.

Looks like my prediction for being on waivers by January was optimistic. But, for Giroux, he'll earn $500,000 to play in the AHL.
I think hes one of the first (if not THE FIRST) call ups if a top 6 forward goes down this year.

I know he only scored 1 goal in preseason but I liked his play and his skating speed did not look terrible to me!

Really hope he gets a chance to show what hes got at some point this season with Oilers

Oilfan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Washington Capitals

Poor Alex, he just can't crack an NHL roster.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:25 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Capitals View Post
Poor Alex, he just can't crack an NHL roster.
Sorry, but I'm not going to cry for a guy earning $500,000 this season.

He can't crack an NHL roster because he doesn't have the talent to be a top line forward in the NHL and he doesn't have the talent/skillset to be a 3rd/4th liner.

It's not as if he is a young player that just hasn't gotten his shot yet. He was a 7th round pick in 1999 and is now in his 10th professional season. Like a Darren Haydar and many others, his ceiling is being a prolific AHL scorer and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Oilfan, the fact that he only scored 1 goal in the preseason should tell you all you need to know. Preseason games are a mishmosh of NHL and AHL players, including AHL goalies. If he couldn't light the lamp in those games, which talentwise is a step above the AHL, what makes you think that he can play at the NHL level.

He may very well be one of the first callups if an Oiler forward goes down. However, he was in a similiar situation in Washington/Hershey (although many times he was passed up until a 2nd or 3rd injury occurred) and only managed to score 4 goals in 30 games.

Old
11-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Washington Capitals

I agree. He's a career AHLer. He's had his chances. Too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:25 AM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
█▀████╱█████▀█

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Capitals View Post
I agree. He's a career AHLer. He's had his chances. Too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL.
100% agreed.

MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote