HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Clearing some things up - Two types of wrist shots

Old
07-06-2010, 10:12 AM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
Clearing some things up - Two types of wrist shots

Hey guys, I know there has been some confusion on hfboards before on how to take a wrist shot and the "right way" vs the wrong way. I have been working on an article for this for a while and finally got it finished with a video. Here is the article - two types of wrist shots and I have embedded the video.

Youtube embed is not working right now here is a link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw4KIrQu90U

Lets hear what you think

Last edited by HowToHockey: 07-06-2010 at 06:38 PM.
HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:41 AM
BrOrpik 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Hey guys, I know there has been some confusion on hfboards before on how to take a wrist shot and the "right way" vs the wrong way. I have been working on an article for this for a while and finally got it finished with a video. Here is the article - two types of wrist shots and I have embedded the video.

Youtube embed is not working right now here is a link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw4KIrQu90U

Lets hear what you think
To embed a youtube video, post mw4KIrQu90U (or whatever is after the = sign) in the YT tags.

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:41 AM
WickedWrister

beat me to it

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Gino 14

I always thought the two types of wrist shots were the ones that went in and the ones that didn't..........

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Happy Pony

Why didn't you actually shoot any pucks? Seems dumb to have a video about shooting and not take any shots.

Are you a defenseman? Your stick is long compared to mine. No homo.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Very interesting. Kind of puts together a lot of little things I've seen and done, but haven't seen put together yet. Well done!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Skraut

Still somewhat new to playing, and have a quick question. I seem to get a lot more power when using your "quick" method, and less power when doing the "powerful" method. When both feet are facing the goal, and I have all my weight on my "off" foot (left foot when shooting left) I can lean into the shot a lot more, and get more stick flex, and get a lot more zip on the shot.

When I do the powerful method and transfer from my left to the right, I don't get nearly the stick flex in the shot, and while I have more room to generate puck speed, I don't get it, when compared to the other method.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:43 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

nice info, would be nice to see some shots though .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:47 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Still somewhat new to playing, and have a quick question. I seem to get a lot more power when using your "quick" method, and less power when doing the "powerful" method. When both feet are facing the goal, and I have all my weight on my "off" foot (left foot when shooting left) I can lean into the shot a lot more, and get more stick flex, and get a lot more zip on the shot.

When I do the powerful method and transfer from my left to the right, I don't get nearly the stick flex in the shot, and while I have more room to generate puck speed, I don't get it, when compared to the other method.

The puck is probably too far out infront of you, if you pull it in closer, and put more of your weight over the stick when you shoot the powerful way you will get more power. The speed comes more from your Core than your stick with this shot.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:47 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:

Might be you just aren't as naturally comfortable doing it that way compared to the other. I know doing the "powerful" way takes alot more from your whole body balance wise and transferring energy. Not to mention you need a little more time and to be more setup for the shot. Try to really focus on leaning into the stick with your weight and acting like its a leg almost when you are in the process of the shot.

This is a slapshot he is taking so its a bit more exaggerated but with a powerful wristshot the weight distribution is pretty much the same. When his stick was basically straight out along side of him he pretty much already had all his weight off his back foot and onto the stick/front foot.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:48 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
beat me to it
Weird, I have embedded a tonne of videos on this forum, and that's the first time I had to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pony View Post
Why didn't you actually shoot any pucks? Seems dumb to have a video about shooting and not take any shots.

Are you a defenseman? Your stick is long compared to mine. No homo.
I shot a bunch of pucks but then I thought that after 8 minutes of a tutorial no one is going to want to see me shooting for another few minutes, plus off ice is a lot different from on ice so I wanted to wait until the ice is in our rink and we can do some on ice videos explaining the same thing briefly then showing shots.

I am a forward, on ice my stick is usually up to my chin

Quote:

Since you are new this probably just has to do with permanent muscle memory. I bet you have practiced mainly shooting on your off foot, so you are just better at it. I practice the quick release A LOT more that the other way, but with a radar gun I still get an extra 5-10 MPH using the more powerful method.

You just need to get out there and practice because when done properly the powerful way of shooting will give you the most speed.

I think with the more powerful method you won't get as much stick flex (I know I don't) because you are using your legs, core, arms and stick to put power into the shot. With the quick release you NEED to get that flex on the stick to get any sort of real power.

Old
07-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
I am a forward, on ice my stick is usually up to my chin.
Fair enough, I use a really short stick. About 4 or 5 inches below my chin on skates.

I only know a few others who use such a short stick.

Old
07-07-2010, 10:27 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Fair enough, I use a really short stick. About 4 or 5 inches below my chin on skates.

My friend is ridiculous with the puck and his stick is really short, he usually stickhandles the puck into the net instead of shooting. Sometimes he gently places the puck over the goal line if he really wants to embarrass the goalie.

It is all about personal preference and how you handle the puck. My friend does a lot of toe drags and he likes to pull the puck in close to his body and protect the puck, so I think that is why he uses such a short stick, it is easier to pull the puck in really close to the body.

For me I like to challenge players, I am pretty agressive and I like to intercept passes so with a longer stick it makes it gives me a bit more reach.

Old
07-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:

How do you get any leverage on that short little cue? I bet that when you shoot you can't break a pane of glass.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Kovalchuk manages to get by just fine with that short of a stick. Lots of old timers did too.

Can't tell me this stick is chin high:

That said my stick is back up around nose high in skates.

Old
07-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
I bet that when you shoot you can't break a pane of glass.
And here I thought the object of the game was to put the puck in the net. Now it's changed to breaking glass??

Old
07-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
And here I thought the object of the game was to put the puck in the net. Now it's changed to breaking glass??
Good luck putting the puck in the net if you can't shoot with any stank on it! You must have a sick deke from 40 feet.

We are in a thread that discusses the difference between a full release and a quick release wrist shot. Beavboyz spent what I would assume is a large amount of time differentiating between the two shots, explaining when and how to use them and discussing the mechanics of getting the most power on the shots. Great Post by the way!

My point was that a short stick makes it very difficult to get power on your shot. The physics of why is simple, your stick is basically a lever. In levers among other things length is important

Old
07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Any goalie worth his salt stops a shot from 40 feet out 19 times out of 20.

Stick length is personal preference and you can score a ton of goals and points without a long stick. Just see Gretzky, Bourque, Lemieux, Sakic, Hull, Kovalchuk, and others.

Old
07-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Gretzky's stick was not short. It just had a lie of about 2. I know because I have one.

Believe what you want to believe. I have no desire to educate you.

Old
07-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
My friend is ridiculous with the puck and his stick is really short, he usually stickhandles the puck into the net instead of shooting. Sometimes he gently places the puck over the goal line if he really wants to embarrass the goalie.

It is all about personal preference and how you handle the puck. My friend does a lot of toe drags and he likes to pull the puck in close to his body and protect the puck, so I think that is why he uses such a short stick, it is easier to pull the puck in really close to the body.

For me I like to challenge players, I am pretty agressive and I like to intercept passes so with a longer stick it makes it gives me a bit more reach.
Edit: In that picture of Iafrate where would you say his stick hits when he's standing up straight?
Yep, I like to keep the puck close to my body, not so much with a lot of toe drags but definitely protect the puck. My favorite place to get the puck is below the face-off dots, specifically below the goal line and then make a pass or beat a man to get it to the front of the net. I'm a much better one on one in tight space than with a lot of room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
How do you get any leverage on that short little cue? I bet that when you shoot you can't break a pane of glass.
Low flex (85/87) + years of experience playing with a short stick. I've never broken a pane of glass, but I've never really tried to and I don't miss the net that often. My shot is much more about beating the goalie with accuracy and deception than blasting it by him.

I'm also naturally more of a playmaker than a sniper, but I can hit my spots and lead my adult league team in goals by a good margin with 10 of our 17 goals through 7 games. That's more a result of the make-up of the team and what we need to win. I'd venture that I've had the first assist on 4 of the goals that I haven't scored, but my memory is hazy. We only have two other players who have the talent to score consistently, and one plays D. For us to win mean the other team needs to score less than 3 goals. In our 3 wins, we've given up 1 goal total. In 3 of the 4 losses 17 goals against and lost the other game 2-1 in a shootout.

Edit: One of the other reasons I use a short stick is so I can't reach for pucks, I have to move my feet to get to the puck which means I'm usually approaching loose pucks with more momentum than the other guy, who is often reaching out with his stick, and I win a lot of these which creates an advantage for my team.

Last edited by Happy Pony: 07-08-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old
07-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
I've never broken a pane of glass, but I've never really tried to and I don't miss the net that often. My shot is much more about beating the goalie with accuracy and deception than blasting it by him.
That's the point I was making earlier, true goal scoring machines care nothing about putting the puck through the back of the net, only through the front of it. If you're breaking panes of glass, you're certainly not scoring. I haven't seen a category yet in any hall of fame for most panes of glass shattered, but there seems to be a few for goal scoring.

Old
07-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
That's the point I was making earlier, true goal scoring machines care nothing about putting the puck through the back of the net, only through the front of it. If you're breaking panes of glass, you're certainly not scoring. I haven't seen a category yet in any hall of fame for most panes of glass shattered, but there seems to be a few for goal scoring.

For the record the clear plastic stuff that sits on top of the boards in a hockey rink is not glass, it is plexi-glass and is roughly 3/4" thick. You can see videos of this stuff breaking on youtube. It is an anomaly when plexiglass breaks. This is not what I was talking about and I assumed that this would be obvious. Apparently I was wrong ...

Saying someone can't shoot, throw, or punch hard enough to break a pane of glass is an idiom. I am not the only person in history to use it. Couldn't break a pane of glass.

To get back on track. Nice post Happy Pony. I am sure that a particularly whippy one piece stick could help you make up some of the power you lose by using a short stick. Your reasons for using one are sensible and as long as you realize what you are giving up in shooting power (which I think you do), knock your sock off.

Look at Jaricks videos in the shooting challenge thread. He uses a very short stick and his shot looks very anemic IMO. Look at how handsy he has to be in order to get any power on the shot. As well his timing is poor and it is very likely because of the length of his stick.

He gets no power from the lower half of his body, just kind of falls forward into the shot. It is very hard to time a strong push off your rear foot and a proper hip torque when your stick is so short.

Last edited by Dump and Chase: 07-08-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old
07-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That stick was nose high in those videos. How is that very short?

Old
07-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That stick was nose high in those videos. How is that very short?

Here's the vids. I must be crazy.

Old
07-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I know the vids I made them The stick is up to my nose. I'll try and do a new one this week if I can sneak over to the rink, the stick I'm using is up to my eyes...I also have another one that's over eyebrows I can try.

BTW here's a new video that's IMO a lot better: