HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vladimir Tarasenko ready to come to America

Old
07-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Vladimir Tarasenko ready to come to America

Just published a translated interview at russianprospect.com with Tarasenko, who did say that he's ready to report and he doesn't know yet where he'll play next season.

Full read: http://www.russianprospect.com/inter...-go-to-america

07-06-2010, 07:20 AM
jmwc95

He's going to be disappointed about the St. Louis weather if he thinks it is going to be +10 deg C (50 deg F) in the winter.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
He's going to be disappointed about the St. Louis weather if he thinks it is going to be +10 deg C (50 deg F) in the winter.
It gets there sometimes... anything's gotta be an improvement over Siberia in the wintertime.

I like this guy's attitude.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:58 AM
STL fan in IA

Interesting article. Sounds like Tarasenko's agents (and perhaps the Blues behind the scenes) are trying to find a way to get him out of his KHL contract and perhaps into the NHL as soon as this season. It sounds like we should know either way within a week as Sibir's training camp starts next Monday. Regardless, it sounds like the kid wants an NHL career so I'm not too concerned about him coming over and staying over - whether it be this season or the next. Many other Russians have said similar things only to come over but then return to Russia at the first bump in the road so there still is plenty of risk involved but there's just something about this kid's character that makes me a lot more comfortable with him than the impressions I got from Filatov, Cherepanov, Radulov, etc.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
It also sounds like Tarasenko got the impression the team would start him in St Louis (the "senior club") rather than the AHL.

I love his enthusiasm. I can't wait until he's on the Blues. But I think his language abilities will be a bit of an adjustment and slow him down a little in his transition. Nothing insurmountable, but just one more thing to get frustrated with when something doesn't go right.

What a coup if he managed to start in the NHL this October!

My expectation is one more year in the KHL and then we'll see him at training camp the next year.

Difference between Tarasenko and Lemtyugov: Tarasenko has a busload more NHL skill.

Difference between Tarasenko and Filatov: Tarasenko has an NHL body right now.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:23 PM
BlueBeard

It would be nice to see him over here this year but I'm not complaining about another year(on their dime) of development in the second best league in the world.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:09 PM
stlbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
It also sounds like Tarasenko got the impression the team would start him in St Louis (the "senior club") rather than the AHL.

I love his enthusiasm. I can't wait until he's on the Blues. But I think his language abilities will be a bit of an adjustment and slow him down a little in his transition. Nothing insurmountable, but just one more thing to get frustrated with when something doesn't go right.

My expectation is one more year in the KHL and then we'll see him at training camp the next year.

Difference between Tarasenko and Lemtyugov: Tarasenko has a busload more NHL skill.

I thought I read somewhere that he went to England and learned the English language. But dont know for sure.

stlbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan View Post
I thought I read somewhere that he went to England and learned the English language. But dont know for sure.
He did spend some time in England so it seems that he has SOME grasp of the English language but from what I can tell, he's still not what most would consider fluent. He should probably be able to pick it up, or at least the basics, fairly quickly though.

Old
07-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Robb_K

I, too, suspect that he will not be able to get free of his KHL contract for THIS season. But, he does have a buy-out clause in his contract for next season. So, I expect to see him play for The Blues no later than 2011-12. I'd love to see him come THIS season. That would help The Blues in several ways. I hope that can be done. But, can also wait one year, while he gets stronger and works on his skills. Either way, I think he will be the best forward ever drafted by The Blues.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:09 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I, too, suspect that he will not be able to get free of his KHL contract for THIS season. But, he does have a buy-out clause in his contract for next season. So, I expect to see him play for The Blues no later than 2011-12. I'd love to see him come THIS season. That would help The Blues in several ways. I hope that can be done. But, can also wait one year, while he gets stronger and works on his skills. Either way, I think he will be the best forward ever drafted by The Blues.
Better than Federko, Brian Sutter?

I hope so.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post

Well, not the only difference. He's got a much better attitude and he wants to be here. Niether of the other two you mentioned wanted to be here. If they did, they'd be here. I guess we'll know July 12th what he's able to do.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Blues0307

I don't see Vova coming over this year, but I don't care honestly. I'd rather him develop in the KHL another year and then have him come over for '11-12.

Tarasenko seems like an awesome pickup. He seems like a great kid with a lot of ambition and the confidence to go with it. If everything I read about this kid is accurate, I feel like he's gonna be our best forward out of the group.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading on this guy and I find it hard to believe he made it all the way to the 16th spot. I do understand the issue with Russian players and our lack of an agreement with the them, but this kid projected in the top 5 (top 3 in most) in almost every pre-draft ranking/publication. And most of these final rankings from numerous sites were finalized just weeks before the draft.

I can't stop being excited about this guy. Assuming everything holds true and he jumps the pond, it will be pretty amazing that we potentially got a top three pick at 16th..or for Rundblad.

Old
07-07-2010, 01:09 AM
ibleedblue8

Would it be possible for him to buy out the last year of his contract now? I have no problem with him being in the KHL next year, but it would be extremely positve to get him out of that last year of his deal.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:53 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue8 View Post
Would it be possible for him to buy out the last year of his contract now? I have no problem with him being in the KHL next year, but it would be extremely positve to get him out of that last year of his deal.
It's not like anyone here has actually seen Tarasenko's contract but yes, it has been speculated that there is an out-clause and an agreement in place for Tarasenko to leave for the NHL in a year even though his KHL contract is for another 2 years. Then again, there's also been speculation that he and his agents are trying to find a way for him to get out of his contract for this season so who knows. Regardless, it sounds like he'll be coming over either immediately or a year from now at the latest.

Old
07-07-2010, 10:26 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I read a quote about the contract and can't remember where....to the effect that he could buy out the last year, but it was the PLAYER who could buy it out and not the team (which I took to mean the NHL team). Not sure I understand the difference there. Perhaps it was a translation glitch.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Zine

A KHL player can buy-out his contract at any time.......it's a Russian sporting law.
The Blues are prohibited from buying out his contract for him though (Bettman's stance on transfer agreement).

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
A KHL player can buy-out his contract at any time.......it's a Russian sporting law.
The Blues are prohibited from buying out his contract for him though (Bettman's stance on transfer agreement).
So build it into his bonuses

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
schronote

I would really like Tarasenko to come over now, played 3rd line and 2nd PP. But this contract thing doesn't looked to get worked out until after this season. Hopefully he remains focused and continues to improve while playing in Russia again.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
So build it into his bonuses
I think the point is he's very loyal to Sibir and doesn't want to screw the team over.
St. Louis seems to be pushing hard, but I think he's content to leave the decision to Sibir's management for the upcoming season (or more specifically probably his father's), hence his comment "it's not up to me".

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Overkamp

If I'm not mistaken, Dmitry Kulikov went through a similar situation last year, although he never laced the skates for his Russian team but he did sign a two year contract (after playing one year of junior hockey in NA). Not entirely the same situation but he was able to get out of his entire contract and played almost a full season with the Panthers last season.

Old
07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
I think the point is he's very loyal to Sibir and doesn't want to screw the team over.
St. Louis seems to be pushing hard, but I think he's content to leave the decision to Sibir's management for the upcoming season (or more specifically probably his father's), hence his comment "it's not up to me".
I think he has an interest in being loyal but all indications are that he wants to come over right away. Saying, "we'll see what happens July 12th" tells me that there is some effort to nullify his contract now. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I'm going to add this though. If there were another Russian player on our team, it would really help with his transition. I think that may be hurting us a little. He is a kid after all.

Last edited by Overkamp: 07-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old
07-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
I think he has an interest in being loyal but all indications are that he wants to come over right away. Saying, "we'll see what happens July 12th" tells me that there is some effort to nullify his contract now. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I'm going to add this though. If there were another Russian player on our team, it would really help with his transistion. I think that may be hurting us a little. He is a kid after all.
What about Nikitin?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:57 AM
schronote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
What about Nikitin?
Top 6:
Brew
Jax
Ej
Polak
Cola
Petro

Nikitin will have to beat out Petro, Strachan, and Cole. I really don't see that happening. I feel pretty strongly that Petro will force coaches to keep him. Camp is still a long way away but I know Petro is in St. Louis as is Cole I believe doing everything in their power to make the big club. I don't see Nikitin making it.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:12 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by schronote View Post
Top 6:
Brew
Jax
Ej
Polak
Cola
Petro

Nikitin will have to beat out Petro, Strachan, and Cole. I really don't see that happening. I feel pretty strongly that Petro will force coaches to keep him. Camp is still a long way away but I know Petro is in St. Louis as is Cole I believe doing everything in their power to make the big club. I don't see Nikitin making it.
I could see Nikitin beating out Strachan for the 7th spot...and possibly beating out others for a top-6 spot. We'll just have to see how each goes performs in camp. Also, who knows if the defense will look the same in Sept/Oct as it looks now. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a little movement between now and then.

Regarding Tarasenko, whether Nikitin is on the team or not, IF Tarasenko somehow is able to join the Blues this season, the Blues need to make sure and get him some sort of Russian guide - find an older Russian imigrant living in the STL area that's willing to take the kid in - sort of like a 2nd family (also similar to how EJ was taken in by Al Mac and Perron was taken in by Ayotte), help him adapt, help him with his English, etc. yet still allowing him to have a connection to his traditions and culture.

Last edited by STL fan in IA: 07-07-2010 at 12:17 PM.