HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins in cap issues ala Hawks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
  #1
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Bruins in cap issues ala Hawks

SI is reporting the Bruins are facing their own cap issues much the same as the Hawks are too. There is a suggestion that the Bruins would love to shed a larger salary like Ryder, Ference or Thomas, but doing so they would have to offer up a 1st rounder or Zach Hammill in such a trade.

If your the Habs would you swallow a one year of Ryder, a guy who has had success in Montreal and who could play in the top 6?

I'm not starting another bring back Ryder or whoever thread, but it would be nice to get that Toronto 1st rounder for only one year of $4 million, and who knows Ryder is in a contract year and may score 25-30 with Gomez and Gionta, or Pleks and Cammer???

We too would have to try and move salary, maybe a deal with the Islanders to get them off the cap floor???

I'd rather see that 1st rounder or Hammill come to Montreal instead of going to the Islanders or maybe even back to the Leafs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...dev/index.html

Quote:
To his credit, Chiarelli has built a solid core of young talent in Boston. The problem is that the majority of these players are his guys...and that makes it considerably tougher to make the difficult choices. In an ideal world, Chiarelli would move veterans like Tim Thomas, Michael Ryder and Andrew Ference for picks and prospects. For that to happen, though, he'll likely need to include high-end sweeteners of his own -- say, Zach Hamill or one of next year's first rounders -- in order to convince another club to take on those salaries.
Thoughts?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
  #2
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,168
vCash: 500
i like him, but he doesn't fit the teams style.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
  #3
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,195
vCash: 500
Who said they'd give up TO first rounder and not their own?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:16 PM
  #4
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
SI is reporting the Bruins are facing their own cap issues much the same as the Hawks are too. There is a suggestion that the Bruins would love to shed a larger salary like Ryder, Ference or Thomas, but doing so they would have to offer up a 1st rounder or Zach Hammill in such a trade.

If your the Habs would you swallow a one year of Ryder, a guy who has had success in Montreal and who could play in the top 6?

I'm not starting another bring back Ryder or whoever thread, but it would be nice to get that Toronto 1st rounder for only one year of $4 million, and who knows Ryder is in a contract year and may score 25-30 with Gomez and Gionta, or Pleks and Cammer???

We too would have to try and move salary, maybe a deal with the Islanders to get them off the cap floor???

I'd rather see that 1st rounder or Hammill come to Montreal instead of going to the Islanders or maybe even back to the Leafs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...dev/index.html



Thoughts?
if they include a zach hamill or their 1st round with Ryder or Ference.
for a minor player (not Subban or a good prospect)
hell yes

Thomas... i'd say no even if its toronto pick
5 million for 3 more years

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:19 PM
  #5
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,975
vCash: 500
Isn't Wheeler headed to arbitration?

There's a guy I wouldn't mind getting - could play on the 3rd line with Boyd and Eller

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:39 PM
  #6
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,134
vCash: 400
Although it does not make sense for the Bruins to deal with us in this situation, the Islanders would make way more sense IMO. But why give anything back, take the overpriced player and the first rounder, say thanks, leave. Trade a roster guy on to make room for the boston player? I think maybe i would take Ryder for 1 season, and let AK go for picks. If we could get Wheeler, then other things could be done I guess.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:50 PM
  #7
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Although it does not make sense for the Bruins to deal with us in this situation, the Islanders would make way more sense IMO. But why give anything back, take the overpriced player and the first rounder, say thanks, leave. Trade a roster guy on to make room for the boston player? I think maybe i would take Ryder for 1 season, and let AK go for picks. If we could get Wheeler, then other things could be done I guess.
between wheeler(UFA ala Dumont) and Ryder + 1st pick
i take Wheeler

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
  #8
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,611
vCash: 500
we can only hope the Ruins are ****ed and in cap hell for years to come

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:02 PM
  #9
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
I don't want Zach Hamill... Overrated due to his draft position...

As for Wheeler, he's a bit of a defensive liability I could see us getting very impatient with him.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:29 PM
  #10
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,050
vCash: 500
Wheeler could be very good on the 2nd line.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:30 PM
  #11
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,039
vCash: 500
After signing Lappy/Price, we'll have very little cap available.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
  #12
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
If they would give us Ryder for one season on top of prospect/pick and we'd get to send them "insert prospect who will never amount to anything" in return, then I'd do it. It's just smart asset management.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
  #13
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Wheeler could be very good on the 2nd line.
For some reason I keep thinking Wheeler was traded lol.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
  #14
KingKovy
Registered User
 
KingKovy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If they would give us Ryder for one season on top of prospect/pick and we'd get to send them "insert prospect who will never amount to anything" in return, then I'd do it. It's just smart asset management.
of course.. but they would never do that

KingKovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:10 PM
  #15
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
For some reason I keep thinking Wheeler was traded lol.
I know exactly what you mean. I keep thinking he was the return in the Seidenberg trade What was it again? Bitz and a 2nd or something?

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:14 PM
  #16
SayNoMore*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 705
vCash: 500
F$%^ the Bruins!

SayNoMore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
  #17
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If they would give us Ryder for one season on top of prospect/pick and we'd get to send them "insert prospect who will never amount to anything" in return, then I'd do it. It's just smart asset management.
We send them...rights to David Fischer and J.T. Wyman for Ryder and a 1st.

We get top 6 help, a 1st rounder. They get a guy for AHL in Wyman and prospect/AHLer in Fischer, if they don't sign him they get Habs 2nd rounder.

To me that is a sweet deal for Bruins too, because they get a good pick in return if they let Fischer go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKovy View Post
of course.. but they would never do that
They did do a bigger trade with the Leafs.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:53 PM
  #18
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 500
Absolute worst case for the Bruins is they walk away from Wheeler's arbitration award. I don't see them giving away a 1st just to get out of cap hell. That kind of deal has only happened once in the history of time. Bruins seem willing to move decent players for prospects / picks (Kessel trade) so I think they're stuck with Ryder and will move a somewhat valuable but expensive contract.

Why the heck are they paying Lucic $4 million a year?

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
  #19
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Absolute worst case for the Bruins is they walk away from Wheeler's arbitration award. I don't see them giving away a 1st just to get out of cap hell. That kind of deal has only happened once in the history of time. Bruins seem willing to move decent players for prospects / picks (Kessel trade) so I think they're stuck with Ryder and will move a somewhat valuable but expensive contract.

Why the heck are they paying Lucic $4 million a year?
A good year got that contract, no one say all the injuries. He was over paid though as he doesn't look to be a 25-30 goal power forward.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:17 PM
  #20
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
i know the salary cap brings a lot of good things to the league, but personally I am tired of hearing about salaries constantly. it's not even about hockey anymore.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
  #21
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
SI is reporting the Bruins are facing their own cap issues much the same as the Hawks are too. There is a suggestion that the Bruins would love to shed a larger salary like Ryder, Ference or Thomas, but doing so they would have to offer up a 1st rounder or Zach Hammill in such a trade.

If your the Habs would you swallow a one year of Ryder, a guy who has had success in Montreal and who could play in the top 6?

I'm not starting another bring back Ryder or whoever thread, but it would be nice to get that Toronto 1st rounder for only one year of $4 million, and who knows Ryder is in a contract year and may score 25-30 with Gomez and Gionta, or Pleks and Cammer???

We too would have to try and move salary, maybe a deal with the Islanders to get them off the cap floor???

I'd rather see that 1st rounder or Hammill come to Montreal instead of going to the Islanders or maybe even back to the Leafs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...dev/index.html



Thoughts?
Thomas won the Vezina, Huet won the choke award at least twice (TO last game of the season, Carolina, game 6)
Ryder is not as good as Campbell, but not as overpaid either.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:20 PM
  #22
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
i know the salary cap brings a lot of good things to the league, but personally I am tired of hearing about salaries constantly. it's not even about hockey anymore.
its better than seeing guys like Doug Weight getting traded for Marty reasoner. The game hasn't been about anything other than contracts since 1994.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 06:34 AM
  #23
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
its better than seeing guys like Doug Weight getting traded for Marty reasoner. The game hasn't been about anything other than contracts since 1994.
For small market teams it's always going to be about contracts. The problem now is that you have to build up towards a championship and then if you win you have to blow it all up the same year or soon after and start again. Some other teams will commit to young players for 5+ yrs and end up never coming close to winning and be stuck with those players.

I'd like to see an NBA-like "exception" that helps teams retain their players along with some cap relief on their new contracts. That way teams will be able to keep their good players longer.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
  #24
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

I'd like to see an NBA-like "exception" that helps teams retain their players along with some cap relief on their new contracts. That way teams will be able to keep their good players longer.
Yeah the NBA system is lovely with the same 4 teams competing for the championship every season.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:00 AM
  #25
Serpico4ever
Registered User
 
Serpico4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 1,287
vCash: 500
Ryder can be buried in Providence, Minnesota's inquired about Ference, and Thomas... then there's tim thomas..

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.