HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Elbow pads

Old
07-06-2010, 05:24 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Elbow pads

Have always had problems with elbow pads moving around during the game, and generally feeling a bit restrictive, would love to get a pair that stays in place and allows a lot of mobility. Can anyone recommend elbow pads that they just love?

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Briere Up There*

How about a pair that fit?

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:51 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
My nice (CCM of some sort) elbows always slide down on me but the smaller size was too tight. The $10 pair I got at a used sports store stays in place and protects fine for what I need.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoeper View Post
Obviously, but even pads that feel good in the store have not felt great over time in games. Just curious if anyone has any elbow pads they love.

Old
07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoeper View Post
Hey, there's an intelligent response.

I have tried several pairs that actually fit, that still did not stay in place well. My search continues.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Thepandamancan

I use a lot of tape on my forearm and on the cuff to keep mine in place. It doesn't exactly do the trick but since I've moved to using wrist guards, it keeps them from going down. In any case, the tape wrap does not really restrict my mobility but I prefer to have a really tight fit to everything.

Your best bet would probably be getting a right fitting pair of three segment elbow pads. Or maybe getting one of those shirts that are grippy/tight fitting?

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Briere Up There*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Obviously, but even pads that feel good in the store have not felt great over time in games. Just curious if anyone has any elbow pads they love.
I like my Jofas, but I can't say I love them. Elbow pads have never felt comfortable to me, but now that I wear a long sleeve shirt under them they have become more tolerable.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:12 PM
sherwood sniper

I hate getting new equipment, so i spent the better part of a year searching for perfect elbow pads. I Finally choose these.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...-vector-6.html

They are very comfortable with great rage of motion. But the part I like is the "drawstring" instead of Velcro. They rarely move at all and don't loosen up over play. Plus there price can't be beat.

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Make sure when you're putting your elbow pads on that your arm is extended out straight. If you put it on with your arm curled, your muscles will flex and expand, then when you relax it's loose.

I'm kind of slow, just figured that out last week.

I've gone through a few elbow pads and settled on a pair that has a strap running across the inside of the elbow. One55's fit me best, even if they aren't super expensive and high end.

But when I put them on like I described above last week they fit perfect, no pinching, no sliding.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:39 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I love my Easton Stealth S17's. I stick with high end Easton's when it comes to elbow pads, most of the other brands I try on don't fit right. Funny thing is I can't wear Easton hockey pants cause they don't fit right. Elbows and shins are perfect though. Bottom line is when it comes to your protection you have to try on every brand-one will fit and you'll know it right away. Then stick with that brand.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I can't argue with that, Bauer stuff fits me better than anything else for protection. Although I do have a friend who has complete mismatched stuff and it works great for him.

Old
07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood sniper View Post
I hate getting new equipment, so i spent the better part of a year searching for perfect elbow pads. I Finally choose these.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...-vector-6.html

They are very comfortable with great rage of motion. But the part I like is the "drawstring" instead of Velcro. They rarely move at all and don't loosen up over play. Plus there price can't be beat.
Hmm, these look interesting, good deal too, though I'm not a small unfortunately. Will see if any are in the shop next time regardless though.

Old
07-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Skraut

I really like my Jofa 9177's They are definitely "in place" and don't move around a lot. The only problem coming from a smaller pair which did move around quite a bit, is that the Jofa's are hot, especially covering the entire forearm, I find myself sweating a lot more when wearing them. Contemplating cutting some more ventilation into them.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:12 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Have always had problems with elbow pads moving around during the game, and generally feeling a bit restrictive, would love to get a pair that stays in place and allows a lot of mobility. Can anyone recommend elbow pads that they just love?
These are mine:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-h...s-2009-sr.html

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:05 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I really like my Jofa 9177's They are definitely "in place" and don't move around a lot. The only problem coming from a smaller pair which did move around quite a bit, is that the Jofa's are hot, especially covering the entire forearm, I find myself sweating a lot more when wearing them. Contemplating cutting some more ventilation into them.
They're huge, and they're awesome. I had the same problem with proper fit, and I've hurt my elbow regularly as a result. These don't move, offer superb protection and are quite comfortable despite their size. HockeyMonkey had them for sale regularly for about $40. The RBK 8K is the successor, very similar.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:13 AM
bp spec

I'm wearing the Supreme equipment, It's great. But the Reebok gear is, from what I heard, super.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:28 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Make sure you're getting an elbow pad that fits your elbow. Pay attention to the cap and how your elbow fits into it moreso than the straps. I personally prefer my Jofa 5044s but I have used or tried on a TON of elbow pads. In my experience, the newer retail elbows are less protective(the models I have used) and bulkier than my version of the Jofa elbow pad... but they also have more bang for your buck, tech-wise.

I didn't care for any RBK/Reebok elbow pads, the original retail RBK elbow pads were close to the Jofas but I didn't prefer that generation strapping setup. Then for a while they went with something different, now they're back to something that feels closer to Jofa... but with a different strap setup.

CCM V10 and Easton S17 elbow pads are REALLY nice if you like a 3-piece elbow. The Vapor and Supreme elbows are nice also(2-piece elbow), Warrior is similar to these elbows also. The Bauer Pro Lightspeed (now just called "Pro") elbows are a Jofa-style elbow pad(actually Bauer 4000) but I don't like them because there are two extensions on the bicep pad... I find that elbows with that design get caught up with the jersey, they feel much more bulky.

"Grip print" works well in my experience.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When it comes to mobility, the 2-pieces are awesome. I actually heard so much hype about the old Jofas that I tried some on, they were stiff as hell and pretty bulky. Very protective, but would take FOREVER to break in.

I basically just need my elbow pads to prevent my elbow from cracking if I fall or hit the boards, so I just went with mid-range models with a good amount of cushioning inside. My One55's don't feel any less protective than my old Stealth S9's (top model a few years back).

Old
07-10-2010, 11:27 PM
greyraven8

have an old pair of Koho (Koho Revolution EP 5500) elbow pads with the soft elbow - tried a pair of the hard cup elbows but didn't like them.

shortened the elastic and replaced the velcro; may have to eventually replace the elastic. for the time being fit well - not bulky and stay in place.

if find elbow pads moving could try replacing elastic and velcro or just wrapping some sock tape around your elbow pads after you put them on.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote