HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes signed Blanchard (two year, two way) and Borer (one year, two way)

Old
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
dmonk
doughberle

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Canes signed Blanchard (two year, two way) and Borer (one year, two way)

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533963

Blanchard’s deal will pay him $500,000 on the NHL level or $60,000 on the AHL level in 2010-11, with a guarantee of at least $75,000, and $525,000 on the NHL level or $65,000 on the AHL level in 2011-12, with an $80,000 guarantee.

Borer’s contract will pay him $500,000 on the NHL level or $65,000 on the AHL level, with a guarantee of at least $75,000.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I would think this would be Borer's last kick at the can to prove he can play and be an asset. I'm really glad we didn't give up on the kid.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:49 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
this leaves Justin Pogge, Brian Rodney, Mike Angelidis, Nick Dodge and Steven Goertzen as the only unsigned RFAs left.

Will be interested to see if Blanchard can crack the roster this season, he's got a good chance at making an impact as an agitator on the 4th line.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I can't believe that Casey Borer got a contract and Brett Carson didn't as relative their experience level. I thought we did him a favor last year by signing him at all. I can't help but feel the same way this year.

In terms of Blanchard, fantastic sign there. I would really love to see him in Raleigh next season. Good skill level, strong hitter, big frame. Everything we need in the bottom 6.

Nick Dodge needs to be resigned any day now. If he's allowed to go it will hurt big time.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Will be interested to see if Blanchard can crack the roster this season, he's got a good chance at making an impact as an agitator on the 4th line.
By my count, there are 7 wing spots taken with Boychuk, Bowman, and others competing for the final wing slot that Blanchard is trying to take.

Unless Ruutu or Jokinen moves to center for the third line, I don't see many slots available out of camp. Ruutu was mentioned as a potential center after last season, so it is possible.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The good side for Blanchard is that he's competing for a line spot that may not be that coveted on the 4th line. Carolina probably doesn't want to have a prospect in that role. The top 4 lines are obviously not going to be filled by the most skilled players, but rather the players that make the most sense stylistically for what we're trying to do.

If the organization sees fit to have a bigger 4th line like they have professed for so long, Blanchard has the inside track over guys like Samson/Osala/Boychuk/Bowman/etc. because his development wouldn't be hindered by playing limited minutes considering that is his relative upside.

Pretty much all of those players are Top 9 or Charlotte. Blanchard is not.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:52 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I can't believe that Casey Borer got a contract and Brett Carson didn't as relative their experience level. I thought we did him a favor last year by signing him at all. I can't help but feel the same way this year.
Signing a contract is a two-way street. Why are we assuming that we're not interested in Carson? Maybe Carson isn't interested in what we're offering? I'm sure JR is trying to sell him on a two-way deal, and if I were Carson, I'd have to think twice about that. Regardless, I'm quite certain we've offered a contract to Carson. I'm also fairly certain we low-balled him and he's hoping to get a better deal somewhere.

totalkev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:01 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Signing a contract is a two-way street. Why are we assuming that we're not interested in Carson? Maybe Carson isn't interested in what we're offering? I'm sure JR is trying to sell him on a two-way deal, and if I were Carson, I'd have to think twice about that. Regardless, I'm quite certain we've offered a contract to Carson. I'm also fairly certain we low-balled him and he's hoping to get a better deal somewhere.
IIRC I think one of the things JR mentioned is that he tried offering Carson a similar contract to the one he offered Tlusty. Which is a lower base but strictly one-way since he would have to clear waivers to play in the minors anyhow. Since it's not a qualifying offer he's free to seek out a one-way contract at a better rate. But as I'm recalling the way Chip explained it the offer is still on the table in case he can't find a better offer.

JR did say today that he still wants Carson under contract so JR may be softening his stance a bit and could be willing to negotiate. Or I could be misreading the situation entirely, it's happened before.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote