HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Girardi arbitration filing deadline today(Girardi filed-Hearing date-TBA)

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
bleedblue94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Good call, Schultz really improved this year (evidence by the +/- but that's also a team thing).

That should be the ballpark for Girardi too, however, as the two are pretty similar.
4 years and 10 mil and maybe im sold bc you can move him if need be as kids begin to fill the roster... otherwise no thanks, and i would absolutely walk away from a 3.5 ruling in arbitration....

Old
07-07-2010, 03:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jeff Schultz is 3 years away from being a group III. He also gave up 1 year of group III.

His salaries

Quote:
Jeff Schultz's new deal = $2.5 mil, 2.5, 3 and 3.
http://twitter.com/TarikElBashir/status/17963292435

Quote:
Schultz on deal: "It does take away one year of UFA but I'm happy with where the numbers were and was willing to give up that one year.
http://twitter.com/TarikElBashir/status/17976927214

Girardi is 1 year away and group III defenseman make $3.5 million.

The Rangers have had Girardi at a bargain for $3.1 million over the last two years. It's time to pay up.

Old
07-07-2010, 06:51 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jeff Schultz is 3 years away from being a group III. He also gave up 1 year of group III.

His salaries

The Rangers have had Girardi at a bargain for $3.1 million over the last two years. It's time to pay up.

by this you mean overpay I assume, b/c at that salary that's exactly what we will be doing

Old
07-07-2010, 06:55 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
by this you mean overpay I assume, b/c at that salary that's exactly what we will be doing
Yeah, by no means does Dan Girardi deserve a raise. Especially after last season.

Old
07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I'm still not willing to be satisfied with Girardi's new cap hit exceeding $2.75M. He just doesn't deserve it. He's solid, but not that solid.

Old
07-07-2010, 07:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I'm still not willing to be satisfied with Girardi's new cap hit exceeding $2.75M. He just doesn't deserve it. He's solid, but not that solid.
I think something like 4 years @ 12 million is fair. You have to understand that the Rangers are paying for 2 years of UFA and by the time he would become an UFA he would be 30.

They paid him 1.6 million the past 2 years which was under his value. He has been playing 20+ minutes a night and playing above his level but it doesnt mean he isnt a solid defenseman.

Old
07-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

There are practically no #4 dmen in the league who make less than $3m and are beyond their ELC. There are absolutely none who signed their contracts as UFAs. And you know what? If the Rangers said "bring on the offer sheets, we won't match," Girardi would get $3m at the least.

Besides, most of you guys judge a 2nd pair defenseman as though he should be a 1st pair defenseman. When he isn't? Well then he's a bottom pair defenseman.

Girardi is a fairly good example of a typical #4 guy. I don't see why we should look to pay him like a #5.

Old
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
There are practically no #4 dmen in the league who make less than $3m and are beyond their ELC. There are absolutely none who signed their contracts as UFAs. And you know what? If the Rangers said "bring on the offer sheets, we won't match," Girardi would get $3m at the least.

Besides, most of you guys judge a 2nd pair defenseman as though he should be a 1st pair defenseman. When he isn't? Well then he's a bottom pair defenseman.

Girardi is a fairly good example of a typical #4 guy. I don't see why we should look to pay him like a #5.
b/c he plays like a #5 or a #6 dman on a good team. Just b/c he is a #3 or #4 on our team doesn't justify overpaying him. Sign him to a one year arbitration, then trade him at the deadline, or let him walk and let somebody else overpay for his half assed services.

Old
07-07-2010, 07:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
b/c he plays like a #5 or a #6 dman on a good team. Just b/c he is a #3 or #4 on our team doesn't justify overpaying him. Sign him to a one year arbitration, then trade him at the deadline, or let him walk and let somebody else overpay for his half assed services.
That is simply not true. Look around the league and I can guarantee that besides maybe 2-3 teams who are exceptionally deep on defense he would be in the top-4.

Old
07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
That is simply not true. Look around the league and I can guarantee that besides maybe 2-3 teams who are exceptionally deep on defense he would be in the top-4.
he wouldn't be top 4 on at least 10 teams in the league.

Old
07-07-2010, 07:58 PM
OverTheCap

If Girardi gets a contract with a Gleason-like cap hit, I'd be thrilled.

At this point, though, I'm more concerned about the term of Girardi's contract. I don't think he's progressed all that much the past two seasons. I think his development has plateaued so the proposition of him getting a 3 or 4 year deal is a bit worrisome.

Hopefully Girardi regains some consistency. They'll certainly need him to be more reliable when he'll be one of the older, more veteran guys on defense. I thought he looked a bit overwhelmed with a rookie defense partner last year, which is understandable, but he needs to become more comfortable in that role.

Old
07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
he wouldn't be top 4 on at least 10 teams in the league.
Please name them. I will even help you:

Anaheim:
Visnovsky, Wisniewski, Lydman, Eminger(although Girardi is better than the last 3)

Atlanta:
Enstrom, Bogosian, Valabik, Oduya(Girardi is better than the last 3)

Boston:
Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hunwick(Girardi is more proven than Boychuk and better than Hunwick)

Buffalo:
Myers, Leopold, Rivet, Butler(Girard is better than the last 3)

Calgary:
JBo, Giordano, Regehr, White(Regehr was bad last season and White is on par with Girardi)

Carolina:
Gleason, Pitkanen, McBain, Corvo(Girardi is better than the last 2)

Chicago:
Keith, Seabook, Campbell, Hjalmersson(Girardi is on par right now with Hjalmersson and much better defensively than Campbell)

Colorado:
Cumiskey, Liles, Hannan, Quincey(Girardi would crack their top-4 easily)

Columbus:
Hejda, Tyutin, Klesla, Commodore(Easily in the top-4)

Dallas:
Robidas, Daley, Niskanen, Grossman(Easily in the top-4)

Detroit:
Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart(Probably doesnt crack the top-4 but I dont think he is that much worse than Kronwall and Stuart)

Edmonton:
Whitney, Gilbert, Smid, Chorney(Easily in the top-4)

Florida:
Kulikov, Allen, McCabe, Wideman(Easily in the top-4)

LA:
Doughty, Greene, Johnson, Scuderi(He is on par with Scuderi)

Minnesota:
Burns, Barker, Zidlicky, Zanon(In the top-4)

Montreal:
Markov, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill(In the top-4)

Nashville:
Weber, Suter, Klein, Franson(Franson and Klein are good young defensemen but Girardi is better now)

NJD:
Volchenkov, Tallinder, Salmela, White(Easily in the top-4)

NYI:
Streit, Jurcina, Eaton, Hillen(Easily in the top-4)

Ottawa:
Phillips, Gonchar, Karlsson, Kuba(Better than Kuba)

Philadelphia:
Pronger, Timmonen, Coburn, Carle(Better defensively than Carle)

Phoenix:
Jovanovski, Yandle, Morris, Aucoin(Better than Morris and Aucoin)

Penguins:
Orpik, Martin, Michalek, Letang(Does not break top-4)

San Jose:
Boyle, Murray, Vlasic, Demers(Better than Demers)

St. Louis:
Johnson, Jackman, Polak, Brewer(Better than Brewer)

Tampa Bay:
Hedman, Ohlund, Kubina, Walker(Better than Walker)

Toronto:
Phaneuf, Komisarek, Kaberle(even though he will be traded), Beauchemain/Schenn(I would put him on par with Beauchemian/Schenn)

Vancouver:
Ballard, Hamhuis, Edler, Ehrhoff(Doe not crack top-4)

Washington:
Green, Schultz, Poti, Carlson(Better or even to the last-3)

3 teams who he wouldnt be a top-4 defenseman.

Old
07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
DontStepanMe

Teams he wouldn't be top 4:

Atlanta: Bogosian, Enstrom, Oduya, Hainsy
Boston: Chara, Hunwick, Boychuck, Ference, Stuart
Carolina: Pitkanen, Gleason, Corvo, Babchuk
Chicago: Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Campbell
Detroit: Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Kindl, Ericsson
Edmonton: Gilbert, Whitney, Foster, Souray (when healthy he is better than Girardi just not worth cap hit)
Minnesota: Burns, Zidlicky, Schultz, Barker
Devils: White, Tallinder, Volchenkov, Greene
Ottawa: Gonchar, Phillips, Karlsson, Kuba, (and Cowen if you want to count him)
Flyers: Pronger, Timmonen, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros
Phoenix: Jovanoski, Yandle, Morris, Sauer (not to mention OEL)
Pitt: Michalek, Letang, Goligoski, Orpik, Martin
STL: Johnson, Pietrangelo, Colaiacovo, Jackman,
Tampa Bay: Kubina, Ohlund, Hedman, Lashoff, Ranger
Toronto: Phaneuf, Komisarek, Kaberle, Schenn, Lebda, Gunnarsson, Beauchemin
Vancouver: Hamhuis, Ballard, Bieska, Edler, Ehrhoff, Salo

and that is without some UFA's signing who are better, and top prospects who have a chance to play at his level or better this year.

Old
07-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:

His salaries

Sure, if he played like Staal did.

But his inconsistent play that goes on weeks sometimes month long stretches? He doesn't deserve anything over 3M.

Old
07-07-2010, 08:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
How do you respond to someone who thinks Colin White is better defenseman than Girardi?

It's not worth the time or the effort.

Old
07-07-2010, 08:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
If Girardi gets a contract with a Gleason-like cap hit, I'd be thrilled.

At this point, though, I'm more concerned about the term of Girardi's contract. I don't think he's progressed all that much the past two seasons. I think his development has plateaued so the proposition of him getting a 3 or 4 year deal is a bit worrisome.

Hopefully Girardi regains some consistency. They'll certainly need him to be more reliable when he'll be one of the older, more veteran guys on defense. I thought he looked a bit overwhelmed with a rookie defense partner last year, which is understandable, but he needs to become more comfortable in that role.
What is Gleason making in his group III years?

Old
07-07-2010, 08:43 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Anaheim:
Visnovsky, Wisniewski, Lydman, Eminger(although Girardi is better than the last 3) agree

Atlanta:
Enstrom, Bogosian, Valabik, Oduya(Girardi is better than the last 3) Bogosian is better, and so is Oduya. At worst they are even. Bogosian's upside is so huge though you would never play him over Girardi.

Boston:
Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hunwick(Girardi is more proven than Boychuk and better than Hunwick)
you forgot about Stuart and Ference. Boychuk and Hunwick both played better last year, and again have much more upside. Would not play over them.

Buffalo:
Myers, Leopold, Rivet, Butler(Girard is better than the last 3) agree

Calgary:
JBo, Giordano, Regehr, White(Regehr was bad last season and White is on par with Girardi) agree he would be top 4 here.

Carolina:
Gleason, Pitkanen, McBain, Corvo(Girardi is better than the last 2) He is even with Corvo and Babchuk is back. Don't think he would be top 4 here, though it is debatable

Chicago:
Keith, Seabook, Campbell, Hjalmersson(Girardi is on par right now with Hjalmersson and much better defensively than Campbell) Campbell is by far superior offensively, and if Hjalmersson is equal than Girardi still isn't guaranteed top 4 here. and again Hjalmersson has much bigger upside, and played tremendous during PO's.

Colorado:
Cumiskey, Liles, Hannan, Quincey(Girardi would crack their top-4 easily) agree

Columbus:
Hejda, Tyutin, Klesla, Commodore(Easily in the top-4) agree

Dallas:
Robidas, Daley, Niskanen, Grossman(Easily in the top-4) agree

Detroit:
Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart(Probably doesnt crack the top-4 but I dont think he is that much worse than Kronwall and Stuart) Girardi is not even close to Kronwall. Kronwall is a beast defensively, and has just as much offensive upside. so again here he isn't top 4

Edmonton:
Whitney, Gilbert, Smid, Chorney(Easily in the top-4) Forgot about Foster and Souray. He might be top 4 here, but it isn't easily.

Florida:
Kulikov, Allen, McCabe, Wideman(Easily in the top-4) agree

LA:
Doughty, Greene, Johnson, Scuderi(He is on par with Scuderi) If he is on par with Scuderi than he still isn't guaranteed top 4. btw I think Scuderi is better defensively

Minnesota:
Burns, Barker, Zidlicky, Zanon(In the top-4) What about Schultz? Drops Girardi to #5

Montreal:
Markov, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill(In the top-4) agree

Nashville:
Weber, Suter, Klein, Franson(Franson and Klein are good young defensemen but Girardi is better now) agree

NJD:
Volchenkov, Tallinder, Salmela, White(Easily in the top-4) Not at all. White, Volch are both better. Tallinder and Salmela are equal at worst.

NYI:
Streit, Jurcina, Eaton, Hillen(Easily in the top-4) agree

Ottawa:
Phillips, Gonchar, Karlsson, Kuba(Better than Kuba) He isn't better than Kuba

Philadelphia:
Pronger, Timmonen, Coburn, Carle(Better defensively than Carle) Carle is better overall, and has more upside

Phoenix:
Jovanovski, Yandle, Morris, Aucoin(Better than Morris and Aucoin) Morris is better, and more consistent. Agree about Aucoin.

Penguins:
Orpik, Martin, Michalek, Letang(Does not break top-4) agree

San Jose:
Boyle, Murray, Vlasic, Demers(Better than Demers)

St. Louis:
Johnson, Jackman, Polak, Brewer(Better than Brewer) what about Pietrangelo? Kid is going to be amazing, and will probably play just as well as girardi. Would not play Girardi over him at all.

Tampa Bay:
Hedman, Ohlund, Kubina, Walker(Better than Walker) not better than Ranger though, or Lashoff

Toronto:
Phaneuf, Komisarek, Kaberle(even though he will be traded), Beauchemain/Schenn(I would put him on par with Beauchemian/Schenn) Schenn is better hands down, and younger, and more upside. Girardi would not crack top 4 here

Vancouver:
Ballard, Hamhuis, Edler, Ehrhoff(Doe not crack top-4) agree

Washington:
Green, Schultz, Poti, Carlson(Better or even to the last-3) agree

3 teams who he wouldnt be a top-4 defenseman.
see bold

Old
07-07-2010, 08:43 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
How do you respond to someone who thinks Colin White is better defenseman than Girardi?

It's not worth the time or the effort.
Yeah, I saw that and decided to not even try. It would have been too big of a headache.

I am glad someone agrees with me.

Old
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that and decided to not even try. It would have been too big of a headache.

I am glad someone agrees with me.
They're all concerned about giving 26 year old Girardi a 4 year deal worth $3-$3.5 million. Florida moved Ballard with 5 years remaining at a $4.2 million cap hit for a #1 pick,a good young forward in Grabner if he can stay healthy and a 1 year salary dump in Bernier. Florida didn't care about getting value in return. They wanted to clear the money.

Old
07-07-2010, 08:57 PM
NYR Viper

NJ:
Oduya is not better that Girardi. He was terrible last year in NJ, thats why they decided to move him. White is definitely not a top-4 defenseman anymore.

BOS:
Boychuk and Hunwick are each about the same age as Girardi. If they still have some upside, so does Girardi. Boychuk hasn't even played a full season in the NHL. He thrived with Chara but so did Redden.

CAR:
He is much, much better than Corvo and Babchuk defensively. Babchuk is a larger version of MAB.

DET:
I agree, he isn't top-4 there but I think he and Stuart are pretty even defensively.

EDM:
Foster is a #4 that I did forget about but Souray was just waived and I think they want to get rid of him or bury him in the minors.

LA:
Not saying he is guaranteed a top-4 spot but most teams would take the comparable player at a younger age over the older player.

MINN:
Agreed, forgot Schultz.

OTT:
Kuba played terribly last season and can not stay healthy practically ever. Girardi is more valuable to a teams success.

PHI:
The upside thing again, Carle is 25, Girardi is 26. Not much difference. Carle all of a sudden got his game together playing with Pronger, not a surprise.

PHX:
Morris was brought in last year and he was on the bottom-pairing below Girardi.

STL:
Pietrangelo is going to be a good player but he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet(9 games does not count). I would think they would be more apt to allow him to get his feet wet on the bottom-pairing.

TB:
Ranger didn't play for a good portion of the season last year and Girardi is easily better than Lashoff.

TOR:
When Kaberle is traded, is Girardi better than Beauchemain? I think he is.

Old
07-07-2010, 09:15 PM
DontStepanMe

so what we basically established here is that he is a borderline #4 dman. Do you really commit 4 years at over $3mil for a boderline #4 dman? Especially when you have one of the deepest defensive prospect pools in the entire NHL. I certainly wouldn't.

Old
07-07-2010, 09:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
so what we basically established here is that he is a borderline #4 dman. Do you really commit 4 years at over $3mil for a boderline #4 dman? Especially when you have one of the deepest defensive prospect pools in the entire NHL. I certainly wouldn't.
I think he is a solid #4 and a #3 on this team. I would give him 3 million for 4 years, yes. That contract would be very easy to move if need be and he has value because of the type of player and teammate he is. Anything over 3.3 is way too much.

Old
07-07-2010, 09:37 PM
DontStepanMe

If he was consistent, I could see 4 at $3mil... but he was horrid for long stretches each year besides his rookie year. I really don't think his trade value will go up much if at all. I wouldn't give over 3 years, and would preferably give 2.

but we are in a conundrum, in that right now we would have nobody to replace him, but in 2-3 years he could very well be the #5 or 6 dman on the team. I just hope we can sign Staal before Girardi's hearing, this way we can better determine if we can fit his salary or if other moves need to be made.

Old
07-08-2010, 06:46 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I think he is a solid #4 and a #3 on this team. I would give him 3 million for 4 years, yes. That contract would be very easy to move if need be and he has value because of the type of player and teammate he is. Anything over 3.3 is way too much.
That is the most important part of your sentence. On a good team, he's a bottom-pairing D-man. But, since he is a #3/#4 on this team, he's going to be overpaid.

Old
07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Who are you replacing Girardi with that can play 20 minutes a night for less than 3 mil?
Girardi can't play 20 minutes a night. Sure, physically he can, but so can most players. If you want to win hockey games, he can't.

He's not worth more than $2.5m from what he has shown here. If he receives $2.75m a season, I would probably reluctantly re-sign and consider it an overpayment. Anything more than that, he gets the Zherdev treatment. I would take my chances with our AHL material if we can't find a replacement for him on the market. The difference between a Girardi and a Gilroy isn't that big.

It's pretty interesting to see how many who don't consider Girardi's last two seasons here a clear disappointment.

Closed Thread