HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres need D-men

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Rastin

vCash: 500
Sabres need D-men

So I was thinking about the Sabres the other day and can see them making some moves once the CBA crap gets sorted out. They have an abundance of forwards with some interesting potential and a real dearth of D-men in the system. As I see it the Sabres can stand to move 3-4 decent Forwards without hurting themselves badly on Offense. They can be Ales Kotalik, Tim Connolly, Taylor Pyatt, Clarke Macarthur, Jason Pominville, Milan Bartovic or Michael Ryan. So with this amount of "expendable" depth on offense, I'd hope they'd pull some deals to bolster their defense or at least defensive prospects. So to that end heres a few deals that I could see...

To Tampa Bay: Clarke MacArtur and a 5th Round Pick
To Buffalo: Matt Smaby

Simple prospect switch here, replaces solid smallish offensive prospect for a good d-prospect. Who also comes form Drew Staffords North Dakota team. Pick tossed in because, in my opinion, Smaby is a safer prospect.

To Edmonton: Ales Kotalik
To Buffalo: Doug Lynch and a fourth round Pick

Edmonton gets offensive help now in exchange for a solid top four d-man in a few years.

To Pittsburgh: Jason Pominville and Milan Bartovic or Tim Connolly or Taylor Pyatt
To Buffalo: Brooks Orpik

Not sure if Pittsburgh would move Orpik but would LOVE to see him in a Sabres Uniform Combination of Pominville and Pyatt might be tempting though. If Orpiks not Available I'd probaby move Pominville for Noah Welch straight up.

Only the Orpik deal would have an immediate effect on the Sabres current roster but any or all of these deals would really set the Sabres up for great things in a few years. I also looked at Atlanta, who has a bunch of solid D-prospects but didn't really see anything that made much sense. Any Thoughts?

Old
04-01-2005, 03:07 PM
ajsonor

Haven't seen Smaby play, don't think that Lynch or Orpik are available, but who knows. I think that the Sabre added 2, maybe 3 defensemen to the system with last years draft, the problem is that they are at best 3-6 type players. Buffalo needs someone who can be a top-pairing guy and log some minutes. Keith Ballard might have been a defenseman like that? I think the best way to get an asset like that is through the draft, or through a Satan trade.

Old
04-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

The bottom two deals are tilted heavily in the Sabres favor, IMO.

Closed Thread