HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Flyers Prospects & Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2010, 09:34 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
We could have had Larry Robinson instead of Larry Wright, Patrick Roy instead of John Stevens, and Henrik Lundqvist instead of Roman Cechmanek. It is what it is, though.
My point was I thought it was a dumb pick at the time, and it has proven to be a bad pick.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:41 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Joey Juneau, Adam Oates, and Neil Little all went to RPI.
Yeah, Oates even won us a national championship. Would be nice to see another RPI grad as successful as him or Juneau, though. Polacek is just an interesting name to follow (and probably the last guy still on the team from when I was still a student), but D'Amigo has me real excited.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
We could have had Larry Robinson instead of Larry Wright, Patrick Roy instead of John Stevens, and Henrik Lundqvist instead of Roman Cechmanek. It is what it is, though.
The point is that the Klotz pick was retarded even at the time it was made. The rest of those trades you mentioned, weren't.

Old
07-07-2010, 01:12 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
My point was I thought it was a dumb pick at the time, and it has proven to be a bad pick.
Fully agree with this statement. There were much better players that the Flyers could have drafted (Drayson Bowman, Brett Sonne, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Joakim Andersson <- who was rated to go late in the first), but they went with the traditional Philadelphia mantra of "size over skill" with the pick. Klotz has done nothing in his career to prove that he's even a mediocre hockey player. He's terrible and it was a bad waste of a pick.

Old
07-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Fully agree with this statement. There were much better players that the Flyers could have drafted (Drayson Bowman, Brett Sonne, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Joakim Andersson <- who was rated to go late in the first), but they went with the traditional Philadelphia mantra of "size over skill" with the pick. Klotz has done nothing in his career to prove that he's even a mediocre hockey player. He's terrible and it was a bad waste of a pick.
I looked through the old thread when he was drafted, those guys were named:

Maxim Mayorov ... 0.5 ppg in the AHL, 7 NHL games, zero points
Yannick Weber ... NHL ready, I think ... great AHL stats
Chris DiDomenico ... played three seasons in the Q, hasn't played pro games yet
Kent Patterson ... Backup with mediocre stats for the WCHL Golden Gophers
Luca Cunti ... back in Switzerland
Nick Palmieri ... 0.5 ppg in the AHL, 6 NHL games
Casey Pierro-Zabotel ... 1 ppg in the ECHL, couldn't crack the AHL
Corey Tropp ... finished his college career, signed ELC this summer
Dale Mitchell ... three seasons in the OHL, signed ELC last summer
Justin Vaive ... finished his junior season with Miami, bad stats
Mark Santorelli ... decent AHL player, 0.3 ppg
Blake Kessel ... finished his sophomore season with the HE Wildcats, 1 ppg
Zack Torquato ... three OHL seasons, unsigned
Ben Winnett ... finished his junior season, bad stats
Vladimir Ruzicka ... still in Czech Republic
Joakim Andersson ... three SEL season, signed ELC this summer

Off the players who were named, Yannick Weber is the only one I regret ... and noone called Jamie Been, Carl Gunnarsson or Tyler Bozak, who all have been available too.

Old
07-07-2010, 10:25 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Here are some Tweets from Philabright (Shelf)- I really value this guys opinion. He seems to have a great eye for prospects. He gave some great reviews last year as well.

4th round pick Tye McGinn skates like a house but it looks like he can hit like one too. Very big.

Scrimmage begins and g-Bobrovsky gives up a softy glove side almost instantly.

Mike Testwuide and Ben Holmstrom connect for a nice goal on tryout Stewert

Very impressed with Mike Testwuide's skating. On a line with Eric Wellwood and Holmstrom. Dominating.

Windsors Eric Wellwood could be the quickest player on the ice. Can absolutely fly and is playing with confidence.

Sergei Bobrovsky`s day is done. 1 goal handful of easy saves.

Old
07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Here are some Tweets from Philabright (Shelf)- I really value this guys opinion. He seems to have a great eye for prospects. He gave some great reviews last year as well.

4th round pick Tye McGinn skates like a house but it looks like he can hit like one too. Very big.

Scrimmage begins and g-Bobrovsky gives up a softy glove side almost instantly.

Mike Testwuide and Ben Holmstrom connect for a nice goal on tryout Stewert

Very impressed with Mike Testwuide's skating. On a line with Eric Wellwood and Holmstrom. Dominating.

Windsors Eric Wellwood could be the quickest player on the ice. Can absolutely fly and is playing with confidence.

Sergei Bobrovsky`s day is done. 1 goal handful of easy saves.
Yea I figured Bob wouldnt have an allstar day. His first time playing in America, etc etc.

Glad Testwuide is doing good. I do think he has the best chance of making the team out of camp.

Sadly I couldnt go today. Ran into some trouble and had to miss out.

I did read that they had Gustaffson playing wing....wdf?

Old
07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea I figured Bob wouldnt have an allstar day. His first time playing in America, etc etc.

Glad Testwuide is doing good. I do think he has the best chance of making the team out of camp.

Sadly I couldnt go today. Ran into some trouble and had to miss out.

I did read that they had Gustaffson playing wing....wdf?
I saw that too. I have no idea why though. Last year they had Wellwood on D. Too bad you couldn't go I was looking forward to a review. Apparently they finally put the names on the jerseys so that will make guys easier to spot. I wonder if Rinaldo is going to have his annual "totally destroy someone" with an open ice hit again this year.

Old
07-07-2010, 11:29 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I saw that too. I have no idea why though. Last year they had Wellwood on D. Too bad you couldn't go I was looking forward to a review. Apparently they finally put the names on the jerseys so that will make guys easier to spot. I wonder if Rinaldo is going to have his annual "totally destroy someone" with an open ice hit again this year.
I know someone that went from another forum. He ussually posts his reviews there, so Ill post that when its up.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Heres a posting by the guy on philly.com

Quote:
ok everyone, i'll try to keep this as condensed as possible for all our sake. to start off the group was split up on both rinks. based on everyones comments, i spent most of my time watching the group who had the most key players and saw only a little bit of the other group of players. good thing though is that there is a scrimmage at the end of each practice and that is where most of the evaluating takes place.

random notes:

-bobrovsky was wearing emery's old pads
-labrecque wasn't in attendance today(possible injury,failed fitness test or not here altogether)
-matt bissonnette was added to the roster. left winger who played for moncton, lewiston, and chicoutimi of the qmjhl last year
-everyone is big except for a few
-drills were super sloppy
-not one player stood out as the star of the group like van riemsdyk in past years
-scrimmage was less sloppy and there was very tight checking
-drills were geared towards transition play

scrimmage:

i know some wanted to know about lines, but everyone rotated frequently so there were very few set lines and d pairings. the orange team was made up of forwards matt bissonnette, blake gal, phil ginand, gregor hanson, ben holmstrom, brendan ranford, andrew rowe, mike testwuide, and eric wellwood. defensemen michael banwell, ricard blidstrand, erik gustafsson, tyler hostetter, and oliver lauridsen. goalies were sergei bobrovsky and brad phillips. team black was forwards michael chaput, justin dowling, brian flynn, shane harper, tye mcginn, kyle mountain, luke pither, zac rinaldo, and everett sheen. defensemen were jason beattie, marc-andre bourdon, jesse dudas, jordan hill, nick luukko and kevin marshall. goalies were brian stewart and adam morrison. only players to not play were goalies chris rawlings and nic riopel.

the scrimmage was a tight checking affair. there is not one player at this camp with top flight skills, but every player is a two way responsible player. i loved the forecheck from all players. you can definitely tell the difference between last years camp and this years. peter laviolette has his stamp on everything now. the scoring plays were mostly the result of this forecheck and resulting defensive miscues. scorers for team black were mcginn, mountain, and pither. orange's scorers were holmstrom, blidstrand, and lauridsen. team black won in a shoot out. my top guys today from the scrimmage were holmstrom, testwuide, harper, pither, gustafsson and marshall.
individuals:

sergei bobrovsky- couldn't get a feel for him today. in the drills portion he took shots as if it were a warm up before a game, not going into the butterfly at all and just playing stand up. with that being said he was only scored on a few times while doing it. i think he did this partly because he was breaking in a new blocker and glove and wasn't comfortable with emery's pads. in the scrimmage he changed to a different glove and blocker that looked more worn. one thing you definitely notice right away with this kid is his composure and his lateral quickness. he was super calm and confident in the scrimmage where as the other goalies looked to be going all out for better or worse. the one lowlight of his day was a the one goal he gave up in the scrimmage. chaput took a hard wrister that squeeked under his arm and layed in the crease for mcguinn to tap in. not a good goal, but it was everyones first day on ice.

brad phillips- the goalie from notre dame looked bigger then what i remembered of him 2 years ago(last year missed with knee surgery). in the drills portion he looked really good. average blocker side, but an outstanding glove hand. nobody put one past his glove side. the scrimmage was unfortunately a different story. he releaved bobrovsky with the scored tied at 1 and he took the loss. i see his problems are getting lost in his crease and he didn't deal well with the black teams traffic in front of him all game.

brian stewart- another big goalie was was just plain solid. you could tell he was the oldest one there. made an absoluting stunning toe save on a wellwood partial break away. wellwood deked across the crease and had stewart beat badly but didn't get the puck up and stewart got the left toe on it.

michael chaput- big smooth skater. great on the forecheck and is always pressuring the puck carrier. good on draws and even got an assist today. offensively he slows the pace and makes smart plays, while defensively he is always attacking.

justin dowling- he was definitely the best of the try out players. good stick skills, smaller, and slippery in the offensive zone. also a good skater

shane harper- another smooth skating attacking type player. all around good skills. caused a turnover and fed pither for an easy tap in. he is going to be a good one with some extra lbs.

ben holmstrom- played center for testwuide and rowe for most of the scrimmage and they were probably the best line line on either side. great forecheck, caused several turnovers, and he and testwuide could have cycled for days. scored a goal following up testwuide's crashing of the net.

tye mcginn- big winger who uses his body well. didn't get knocked around, but i would have liked him to hit more than he did today. scored an easy goal off of bobrovsky's mishap.

luke pither- he and shane harper paired up the whole time, mostly with rinaldo. these guys didn't give the opposing players anytime or space what so ever. pither is a smooth player that doesn't jump out at you with skill, but is defintely impressive.

zac rinaldo- everyone who has read my reports from the past 2 years knows i like rinaldo. he is a canonball out there. hits like a truck and is probably one of the smaller guys out there. more skill then he gets credit for, kind of like carcillo.

mike testwuide- he pretty much is a right handed jvr with a lot less skill amd slightly worse skater. he is a highly affective player though. great at cycling and uses his body really well. not one player could take him off the puck. crashed the net real well. he defintely has a physical advantage over everyone at this camp.

eric "jammer" wellwood- he reminds me a lot of mario kempe. always going at full speed and always attacking offensively. i think kempe has better hands though. i wasn't to impressed by wellwood today. he got knocked off the puck a lot today with both stick checks and some huge hits. this is partly because of his aggressiveness. he doesn't stay to the outside at all and is always on a b line to the goalie. he didn't receive passes well at all, i attribute that to rust though.

ricard blidstrand- good size, with good skating and fairly physical. got lost in coverage on one of team blacks goals. scored on a good wrister from the point glove side and through a lot of traffic. good all around guy, who should get a lot better in the whl next year.

marc-andre bourdon- moved the puck really well today and played really physical in his own end. what i don't like though is that he tried to skate the puck up too much rather then pass it. he got the job done, but his skating isn't nhl caliber to where he will be able to do that on the next level.

erik gustafsson- best defensemen today bar none. he really is a kimmo clone. shorter, but solid. silky smooth with the puck and he controlled the whole tempo of the game when he was out there. has a great stick and made great reads in the d zone. its amazing how much he plays like timonen.

kevin marshall- he is rock solid in the defensive zone. he'll hit and take hits to make plays. didn't get much ice time in the scrimmage. i don't know if he got knicked or what. with him i worry that he is a ryan parent type player. he has a better first pass than parent but i don't know if he will contribute any offense on the next level. he will be an anchor on defense though.

alright thats all i have for you today. tomorrow is the trial on the isle, so no report from me. i will be back with more on friday when they return to the ice.

if you have any specific questions, want some more details, or want to know about a player i didn't talk about feel free to ask and i'll do my best to give you everything i can.

And here is another writeup by BSH:
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-day-1-roundup

Old
07-07-2010, 05:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/07/10/Bo...05&feedID=6572

Quote:
"KHL has good players, it’s a good league," he said. "What I have, that’s what I got from the KHL."

Bobrovsky is expected to see significant playing time with the Adirondack Phantoms this season, and likely could wind up as their starting goalie. Analysts have suggested he may be just two or three years from the NHL.

As for what parts of his game require improvement to make it to the big league, Bobrovsky said he intends to address that later.

“It’s too soon to say anything,” he said. “I’m going to take a look at the game, it’s a different game. This was the first time I was on the ice with this kind of game, so I’m going to take a look a couple more times and then decide what I have to work on.”

Don Luce, the Flyers’ director of player development, liked what he saw from the young Russian during his time in net, albeit brief.

“Good, good,” Luce said, of Bobrovsky’s performance. “I think he did really well, considering coming across and being in the North American game for the first time. He has some very good natural talent.”

Old
07-07-2010, 06:13 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Man, I am really hoping this guy (Bobro) pans out!

Old
07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Man, I am really hoping this guy (Bobro) pans out!
Yea same. I do like the writup on Kimo Tim...I mean Erik Gustafsson

I read from multiple people that he was one of the best players at camp today

Old
07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
not to mention martin havlat instead of maxime ouellet, Henrik Zetterberg instead of Vaclav Pletka or Niklas Kronwall instead of Justin Williams

Old
07-07-2010, 06:24 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:

Yeah, it's funny how both writeups you posted have different opinions on practically every player.

Interesting to see us going the NCAA route, while I don't think there's a lot of Bozaks lurking in the NCAA, there's a lot of big kids that can skate and work hard defensively and as we saw last year, having a great 4th line can be a nice luxury.

Old
07-07-2010, 06:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

He was dominant.

I stopped by for a quick peak before work today.

Old
07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
not to mention martin havlat instead of maxime ouellet, Henrik Zetterberg instead of Vaclav Pletka or Niklas Kronwall instead of Justin Williams
Hey, time will tell on Vaclav Pletka!

Old
07-07-2010, 06:44 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Hey, time will tell on Vaclav Pletka!
This is kind of arbitrary, but it's clear that someone with a name like Vaclav Pletka was never going to become a standout NHLer, I feel like GMs should take this stuff into account.

For example, I don't think Ryan Spooner will ever become a good NHLer.

Old
07-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Donny Brook
\_-------o [XXX]

A bit of video over at Philly.com "Flyers begin prospect camp": http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...eo_FLYERS.html

Wellwood (#47) scores a shootout goal.

Frank and Dave talk.

Frank and Dave continue to talk.

A few seconds of Marshall and Testwuide (huge) skating.

Marshall talks.

Bobrovski wondering why everybody is staring at him.

A few seconds of Bob in goal.

Frank and Dave wrap it up.

Please guys... less of Dave and Frank's midriff, and more than a few seconds of the prospects we actually want to see on the ice.

Last edited by Donny Brook: 07-08-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old
07-08-2010, 01:39 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Thanks for the post sa cyred. That guy is awesome is he the same one who provided recaps last Summer?

An article on the team picking Nick Luukko:

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/07/10/Lu...08&feedID=5050

Quote:
Instead, Luukko had insisted his club avoid drafting Nick, going so far as to tell his son that – no matter what – the Flyers wouldn’t be taking him. He had similar conversations with general manager Paul Holmgren.

But then it came time to pick in the sixth round. And the Flyers’ staff was in agreement that Nick was the strongest player remaining on the board. Holmgren wanted to pick Nick.

Peter Luukko didn’t.

Old
07-08-2010, 07:10 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Thanks for the post sa cyred. That guy is awesome is he the same one who provided recaps last Summer?

Cant blame Peter Luukko for not wanting the Flyers to drfat his son. Seeing how the flyers cant develop any dman of note he is better off going elsewhere lol.

Old
07-08-2010, 07:46 AM
BringBackStevens

From what I have seen from some of these guys, I think we have a lot of NHLers in this particular group. Nothing top end, but lots of solid responsible 2 way guys and some solid 2-3 pairing defensemen. The goalies are the real wildcard though

Old
07-08-2010, 07:57 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
A bit of video over at Philly.com "Flyers begin prospect camp": http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...eo_FLYERS.html

Wellwood (#47) scores a shootout goal.

Frank and Dave talk.

A few seconds of Marshall and Testwuide (huge) skating.

Marshall talks.

Bobrovski wondering why everybody is staring at him.

A few seconds of Bob in goal.

Frank and Dave wrap it up.

Please guys... less of Alex and Frank's midriff, and more than a few seconds of the prospects we actually want to see on the ice.
Somebody should probably inform him that Homer is putting 100% of his hopes on Bobo becoming the next Patty Roy. At least I assume that what he is doing based on this offseason.

Old
07-08-2010, 07:58 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
This is kind of arbitrary, but it's clear that someone with a name like Vaclav Pletka was never going to become a standout NHLer, I feel like GMs should take this stuff into account.

For example, I don't think Ryan Spooner will ever become a good NHLer.
I concur. Can you believe that some teams actually overpay for guys with 2 girl names like say Jody Shelly.

Old
07-08-2010, 09:41 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post

Yea, Ive been reading the guys assessments for around 2 years now. Last year when JVR went, he said JVR was so dominate he thought he would make the team. This was when alot of people thought he wasnt. He was right.

Im pretty sure he goes daily, so he is going to do it again on Friday (Billy is going then also, so we will have multiple sources)

Closed Thread