HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Official Simon Gagne Thread -- Rumours & Rumblings

Old
07-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
agreed on that Kaktus, should be ok for the most part during the regular season, just hope we don't have a significant injury in the top 4 for any extended periods of time.
Then we'll pick someone up like Schinider or some other warm body.

Having Carle, Coburn, Meszaros does not make a lot of sense.

Trading Gagne to make a room for Zherdev is just ****ing crazy but with H omer t hats the way she can go sometimes. So what can you do?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Ugh, my brain tried to figure out what Microsoft had to do with his post.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:52 AM
97FlyersKing18

I am kind of confused now. Does this mean he was NOT asked to waive his NTC at any time this offseason, or that he WAS asked to wave his NTC last month and refused to comply with Holmgren and the FO's wishes?

Pretty ballsy to "stand up to the man", but I would assume Gagne has the support of all of the players in the Flyers Locker-Room and the coaching staff considering his tenure with the team, ability on the ice, and multiple charity events in the community.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Ugh, hit refresh, and double posted. sorry.

Quote:
I am kind of confused now. Does this mean he was NOT asked to waive his NTC at any time this offseason, or that he WAS asked to wave his NTC last month and refused to comply with Holmgren and the FO's wishes?

Pretty ballsy to "stand up to the man", but I would assume Gagne has the support of all of the players in the Flyers Locker-Room and the coaching staff considering his tenure with the team, ability on the ice, and multiple charity events in the community.
I think its more in line with what Jester and a few others mentioned earlier, that he was asked to waive it, and may have verbally agreed depending on where... but no trade has officially been fabricated to suite such actions?

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:54 AM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Flyers View Post
that's a filthy top 9.
I know right........ If Leino continues his success, I think he will be the key of everything to come.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:54 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Talking hockey on the internet has been much more wagging of the dog than actual news. The reporters make (up) the news now, rather than sources or the subjects of their articles.
Fans discussing issues is perfectly fine. It is the purpose of a board such as this. With the prolonged holiday weekend, including the observance on Monday, it was expected that the normal means of communication would be hindered. But Gagne is too important a player to not have the matter cleared. Even if Holmgren or management wished the matter to be clandestine, there is a way to ultimately do that through the PR staff. Leaving it as a non-entity is fuel to a fire.

And thank you Jules for noticing.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:55 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I doubt you're going to get that confirmation. What I think is going on?

1) Flyers asked Gagne if he would waive his NTC (perhaps a team or two was mentioned).

2) Gagne said he was open to that, situation depending.

So, he hasn't "waived" his NTC, but will for the right situations. I think it was ASF that said that the Flyers have asked Gagne and his agent to poke around (who knows if they will) and provide the Flyers with some options where he might be willing to go.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. As soon as I saw this thread I started trying to to find ways to make Gagne and Zherdev both fit on the team and the only way I can see that happening while still being able to pay 13 forwards (even if they are AHL callups instead of Carcillo or Powe) is if they trade Carle and I'm pretty sure Homer doesn't want to break up his magical defense.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:55 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Yea.... once we sign Zherdev... can we offically announce that Homer has totally forgot that there is a salary cap?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Fans discussing issues is perfectly fine. It is the purpose of a board such as this. With the prolonged holiday weekend, including the observance on Monday, it was expected that the normal means of communication would be hindered. But Gagne is too important a player to not have the matter cleared. Even if Holmgren or management wished the matter to be clandestine, there is a way to ultimately do that through the PR staff. Leaving it as a non-entity is fuel to a fire.

If there was no truth to the story, the Flyers would have nuked it immediately... so there's your confirmation (in spirit, if not in full) of what is going on.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

I agree with you. Just took the opportunity to voice my disgust with "journalists."

Old
07-08-2010, 10:01 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
I doubt you're going to get that confirmation. What I think is going on?

1) Flyers asked Gagne if he would waive his NTC (perhaps a team or two was mentioned).

2) Gagne said he was open to that, situation depending.

So, he hasn't "waived" his NTC, but will for the right situations. I think it was ASF that said that the Flyers have asked Gagne and his agent to poke around (who knows if they will) and provide the Flyers with some options where he might be willing to go.
I agree that the team wouldn't confirm under most situations and this falls under that umbrella. But I don't recall seeing a quote from manangement on the matter. Even if they start out with "This is an internal matter...we are using all options in order to improve the team..." Even fluffy responses are better than nothing. A player or his rep isn't bound to the same rules so eventually it shouldn't come as a surprise that someone will go on the record.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
If there was no truth to the story, the Flyers would have nuked it immediately... so there's your confirmation (in spirit, if not in full) of what is going on.
Except that in Clarke's days as GM, he suffered from "alternacalendrical syndrome*." What he said one day ("We're not trading Rod Brind'Amour.") could often be contradicted the next. He was never afraid to use fibs, lies, and smokescreens. I miss his diversionary tactics.

*(c) Flyskippy, 1999

Last edited by Flyskippy: 07-08-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old
07-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Could Holmgren simply be playing a twisted game of chess? ‎[/crossthread]

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
Except that in Clarke's days as GM, he suffered from "alternacalendrical syndrome*." What he said one day ("We're not trading Rod Brind'Amour.") could often be contradicted the next. He was never afraid to use fibs, lies, and smokescreens.

*(c) Flyskippy, 1999
Bit different from this... there is gamesmanship if you're trying to make deals and the like, but if there was no truth to this whole Gagne-trade business, then they would have nuked it just to stop the insanity, and let everyone get on with their lives.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Bit different from this... there is gamesmanship if you're trying to make deals and the like, but if there was no truth to this whole Gagne-trade business, then they would have nuked it just to stop the insanity, and let everyone get on with their lives.
True.

Old
07-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Schenn10

Quote:
Exactly. If the media begins reporting that an organization has asked the longest tenured and one of the most liked players on the team to waive his NTC, and the rumors are completely false, you put out a statement immediately to stop the rumors. The Flyers have not done this.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:13 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Can anyone who speaks French confirm this is what he said?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:14 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Bottom paring is ok for regular season. not perfect but ok. We should be fine and if Bart or O'Donnell suck we'll maake a move at the dead line. Our top 4 is still one of the best in the league.
That bottom pairing is perfectly fine. Let's not forget that O'Donnell played 19 minutes a game last year with Los Angeles and was a plus 14. Play him 13 to 15 minutes a night and that's perfect. Same with Bartulis.

If the Flyers do indeed sign Zherdev and if Gagne has not waived his no trade clause, then it's very possible that the Flyers have seen the end of Carle, Carbomb and Powe Powe the Talking Monkey.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That bottom pairing is perfectly fine. Let's not forget that O'Donnell played 19 minutes a game last year with Los Angeles and was a plus 14. Play him 13 to 15 minutes a night and that's perfect. Same with Bartulis.

If the Flyers do indeed sign Zherdev and if Gagne has not waived his no trade clause, then it's very possible that the Flyers have seen the end of Carle, Carbomb and Powe Powe the Talking Monkey.
This would be a-okay with me, honestly.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

Basically what I said in post 11. I did say a few more things there

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
I agree with you. Just took the opportunity to voice my disgust with "journalists."
Thanks for the quotes. Not one link was to a newspaper article with a real source. It was all tweets, blogs, and newspapers citing tweets and blogs. Newspaper journalists have rules to follow. The Eklunds and Timmehs of the world do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Flyers View Post
Exactly. If the media begins reporting that an organization has asked the longest tenured and one of the most liked players on the team to waive his NTC, and the rumors are completely false, you put out a statement immediately to stop the rumors. The Flyers have not done this.
Depends on the situation. The organization DEFINITELY tells Gagne what's going on. But the media reports were not traditional media with traditional sources. Even the newspaper, radio and TV reports that came out all cited tweets and blogs. Even though organizations are becoming more friendly to the electronic media, some pro teams and college programs still have rules which prohibit responding to those types of unsourced internet reports.
As for the traditional media guys, they ask Homer what's up. Off the record, he tells them to sit tight and explains. They find him credible and agree. They aren't worried about what's on message boards, they just want to be first when legit news happens.

Likely a lot of games (and people) getting played. I'm sure Gagne and Homer know exactly what is going on.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
This would be a-okay with me, honestly.
Yeah, Carcillo and Powe would be irrelevant bit players at this point. Carle would hurt, but the return he could bring (draft picks and salary cap space) would be more than suffice.

As for a 13th forward, it would mean that one of Nodl or Kalinski gets that job, preferably Kalinski because he could replace Shelley on the fourth line and that would be one heck of a nasty checking line to face.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Cue the Briere getting traded rumors.

(please)?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
heard this last night(or the rumor anyway) Was Gagne even asked? was he asked and hes thinking about it? or are the Flyers waiting for Kovalchuk to make up his ****ing mind because the Flyers have a deal in place if Kovalchuk decides to finally go somewhere not named LA and the Kings view Ggane as plan B.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Cue the Briere getting traded rumors.

(please)?
Scapegoats that fans most want out of town:
5) Reggie Lemelin - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
4) Danny Briere