HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Movies, Music, & TV Thread

Old
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Chad_

vCash: 500
Ah, there's nothing like bringing up a thread from the dead.

I saw 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' tonight. It's a foreign flick based upon the best selling book of the same title by Stieg Larsson. I'm always weary of movies based upon books I've read, but to my surprise, the movie did not butcher the book at all. Sure, there were a lot of details and subplots left out, but it wasn't anything like the movie 'Sahara' based upon Clive Cussler's book of the same name where they butchered everything. I'm curious whether the film will get an American re-make, and if so, if they will decide to take too many liberties with what is a fantastic story.

Anways, the movie was pretty good. It's a bit long (2:30), but it's not one where you're constantly looking at the clock during. Bottom line, if you liked the book, you'll like the movie. If you haven't read the book, it's essentially about a disgraced journalist being hired to solve a 40 year-old murder mystery who calls on a social misfit young woman computer hacker to help him investigate. That might not sound too exciting, but the book was a best seller for a reason.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Anyone else waiting for Inception to come out?

07-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Hoping it is as good as the previews are.

What is it with Dicaprio being in all these mind twist movies all of a sudden? Hopefully he's as good in Inception as he was in Shutter Island.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
What is it with Dicaprio being in all these mind twist movies all of a sudden? Hopefully he's as good in Inception as he was in Shutter Island.
That wasn't much of a twist though, as it was pretty easily figured out within the first 15 minutes.

Old
07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
talk about an old thread...

yea I agree I can't wait to see Inception, I dig some of Nolans non Batman films such as the Prestige (not that I don't not like the Batman films) and DiCaprio has been top notch in the past decade (Not bad when the worst movie he has made this decade is Blood Diamond or Shutter Island)

I also agree about Shutter Island it was a good flick but the twist wasn't much of one. I was kind of disappointed in Scorsese with that but I don't know how much he could have done being it was based upon a book. However that being said it was still one of the best movies made this year along with Toy Story 3, down year at the movies to say the least in my opinion.

As for a blast from the past, I re watched The Thin Red Line http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120863/ and man is that movie great. While it might not be as action packed as other war movies it easily makes up for it in its themes and brilliant cinematography. In my opinion it is one of the best movies from the 90s and greater, however different, than the other great war movie from the late 90s, Saving Private Ryan.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Chad_

The fact that the twist in 'Shutter Island' was so easily figured out didn't detract from the movie though, and that was, to me, what made it one of the year's best. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it after reading so many negative reviews.

Yeah, DiCaprio is just a good actor with a name that draws in an audience. He's certainly not the best actor or the biggest name, but he's good and big enough for a movie to make some dough on, if it's of decent quality and the budget isn't sky high.

I remember when both 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'The Thin Red Line' came out. I saw both in the theater, and 'Saving Private Ryan' is head and shoulders above the other. In fact, I thought 'The Thin Red Line' was boring and a waste of money.

Old
07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
vofty

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Sooooooooo anyone seen it yet?

Old
07-17-2010, 07:15 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
The fact that the twist in 'Shutter Island' was so easily figured out didn't detract from the movie though, and that was, to me, what made it one of the year's best. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it after reading so many negative reviews.

Yeah, DiCaprio is just a good actor with a name that draws in an audience. He's certainly not the best actor or the biggest name, but he's good and big enough for a movie to make some dough on, if it's of decent quality and the budget isn't sky high.

I remember when both 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'The Thin Red Line' came out. I saw both in the theater, and 'Saving Private Ryan' is head and shoulders above the other. In fact, I thought 'The Thin Red Line' was boring and a waste of money.
I thought shutter islands sound track was AWFUL. too loud, incongruent, and as deep as the kiddie pool. ruined the movie for me.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Chad_

After you've heard the soundtracks for 'The Graduate' and 'She's the One,' they all kind of suck. Except maybe 'Last of the Mohicans.' That's a good one, but it's no Simon & Garfunkel or Tom Petty.

No, I'll concede your point the music can ruin a movie, but I really don't remember the music in 'Shutter Island.' I guess that means I didn't find it as distasteful as you did? For me I thought the scenery was neat. I'm a bit of a scenery freak too, which is why I really liked 'Lawrence of Arabia.'

Old
07-17-2010, 11:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
There was this repeating piano motif in Shutter Island during important scenes that I thought was pretty cool/foreboding.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:20 PM
vofty

Favorite soundtrack from a more recent movie: Juno, got home from the movie and had to buy the soundtrack ASAP.

Old
07-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Chad_

Is this what you're talking about, Piqued? And is that what you didn't like, eartotheground?

ADDED: Wait, this is probably it. The repetitious cello (or some other whatever they are called)* at first then others. I truly don't recall it, but I did like the movie so it couldn't have had the same effect on me.

*You can tell I was never a band guy, huh?

Old
07-17-2010, 11:48 PM
vofty

I think it is a combination of a cello and a double bass?

It's funny cause I didn't offhand remember being annoyed by the music but as soon as I clicked on that second link it all came back.

Old
07-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
I think it is a combination of a cello and a double bass?
Yeah, that's the ticket. Or at least it's a better guess than I could come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
It's funny cause I didn't offhand remember being annoyed by the music but as soon as I clicked on that second link it all came back.
I vaguely remember the second linked music, but I don't recall it being on repeat, so to speak. I guess it really just didn't leave much of an impression upon me.

I checked out the 'Juno' soundtrack. Nothing really jumps out at me, but it's not what I figured it would have been upon mention. I figured it would be some combination of the Billboard top 25 like too many young adult/teen comedies are, not that Juno fits entirely with either genre, and to my surprise it isn't. It's a bit of an ecclectic mix, with solid bonus points for Sonic Youth.

Old
07-18-2010, 12:00 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Yeah that's it. Penderecki's Symphony #3. It cropped up several times, like whenever he sees the lighthouse. (this should be the soundtrack to the NYI's efforts at building a new arena)

I have no idea why I transposed it to the wrong instrument in my mind. Maybe it got crossed up with that damn repeating line from Eyes Wide Shut. Deceptively simple sounding and instantly recognizable.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Chad_

I can recall the piano repetition from 'Eyes Wide Shut.'

I'll have to watch 'Shutter Island' again and pay more attention to the soundtrack. Maybe it annoys me the second go-around.

Old
07-18-2010, 12:19 AM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
it was more the timing than anything... in the very begining, when they're on the boat headed towards the island, an overly loud, out of the blue, obviously "eire," WHAAA WHAA WHAAA blasts away.. I don't like the story/ emotion/ setting to be told by the music... I want the music to reflect what has already happened, or what is happening.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Chad_

That makes sense, I just don't recall it being like that. Not that I'm doubting you at all, rather I'm curious as to why I don't remember it.

It is a Martin Scoresese flick, and he's done several good films (he's a huge DiCaprio guy), but I'm not sure who was in charge of the soundtrack and placement within the film.

Old
07-18-2010, 12:25 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
...but I'm not sure who was in charge of the soundtrack and placement within the film.
The titles and number of people involved in virtually any aspect of a film in general varies by size of production, budget, common studio practices, and also common director/producer practices. This being a Scorsese film it's not surprising to see how many people had a hand in the soundtrack as a whole. Essentially, the music department works with the sound editing department who works with the film editing department. It also may have a lot to do with the man himself. It may be worth pointing out that the two supervising sound editors for Shutter Island also worked in similar roles on The Departed.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Ugh, I hate the Office. I watched the entire first season to give it a chance, barely laughed at all. I guess I just don't get it.

As for Jason Statham? Watch Snatch, it is awesome.
I would watch a few more seasons and see if you like it. It's like watching the first two seasons of Seinfeld..it's brutal but it got much better (if you're a Seinfeld kind of person).

A really good movie I've seen lately is City of God. It's in subtitles and it's pretty long but it kept me on my toes the entire time. I thought it was a very good movie.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

City of God is great. Another good movie by Fernando Meirelles is The Constant Gardener. Strong screenplay, interestingly shot. For those who aren't turned off by subtitles (I would hope most of us) I suggest Amores Perros. Gael Garcia Bernal is in it; he was also in Y Tu Mama Tambien, which is another solid Mexican film. Guillermo Arriaga, the screenwriter for Amores Perros (gave a lecture at my school last year, very interesting, smart guy) also wrote 21 Grams and Babel. If you liked either of those Amores Perros is probably up your alley.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Ah, there's nothing like bringing up a thread from the dead.

I saw 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' tonight. It's a foreign flick based upon the best selling book of the same title by Stieg Larsson. I'm always weary of movies based upon books I've read, but to my surprise, the movie did not butcher the book at all. Sure, there were a lot of details and subplots left out, but it wasn't anything like the movie 'Sahara' based upon Clive Cussler's book of the same name where they butchered everything. I'm curious whether the film will get an American re-make, and if so, if they will decide to take too many liberties with what is a fantastic story.

Anways, the movie was pretty good. It's a bit long (2:30), but it's not one where you're constantly looking at the clock during. Bottom line, if you liked the book, you'll like the movie. If you haven't read the book, it's essentially about a disgraced journalist being hired to solve a 40 year-old murder mystery who calls on a social misfit young woman computer hacker to help him investigate. That might not sound too exciting, but the book was a best seller for a reason.
I checked it out and I liked it Like you said, a lil long, but it held my interest. I never read the book, so it was somewhat hard following the storyline, especially when relying on my ability to read flashing subtitles, but I believe I got most of it.

Anyways, I'm off to watch City of God now (glovesave's glowing recommendation )

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Finally saw Inception yesterday.

Wow is the only thing I could say leaving the theater. Just wow.

Old
07-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I checked it out and I liked it Like you said, a lil long, but it held my interest. I never read the book, so it was somewhat hard following the storyline, especially when relying on my ability to read flashing subtitles, but I believe I got most of it.

Anyways, I'm off to watch City of God now (glovesave's glowing recommendation )
I'm glad you enjoyed it, especially since you aren't a read the book before type. I wasn't sure how it might fare considering it's a foreign flick with at least a decent amount of plot that would all need to be read via subtitle on the quick.

'City of God' is good, but the sequel, 'City of Men,' is not so good. The former is one of my brother's favorite movies.